Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Piano experts

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 8:46 pm
I would like to buy an upright piano. (2nd hand) I would love to have some advice as for what to look for in a piano. I'm still a begginer student and playing on an electric piano as of now.
What price can I expect to pay, what do I look for specifically, any good companies, and what's the price of upkeep?
Thank you!

imasinger

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 9:20 pm
If you're looking for secondhand, the manufacturer isn't as important as certain other factors, like how well the piano has been taken care of until now.

You can often find something pretty decent for between free and a few hundred dollars, as long as you pay for moving it, which can cost several hundred dollars, using professional piano movers. It's worth it to have a good piano tuner check out the instrument you are interested in, to be sure it's in good shape. And to see it and play it yourself and be sure you like it.

Ideally, a piano should be tuned twice a year, but you may be able to make do with once a year. Cost of tunings can vary depending on where you live, so ask the tuner who checks the instrument, and you can get a range.

You should have a humidifier in the room, and not keep the piano too near a heater.

If the piano doesn't come with a bench, you may want to buy one, but that probably won't be an issue.

Check out Craigslist or other classifieds, ask around, and consult with your friendly local tuner.

Hatzlacha, and enjoy! IMO, there's no comparison when it comes to the sound and the pleasure of playing. A real piano is so much better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts