Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ISO pediatrician in Lakewood

neverbored

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 4:58 pm
I'm new to Lakewood and although my kids medical charts have been transferred to Dr. Shaniks office, I have yet to see anyone there. Here's where the problem is... My son is very sensory and needs OT desperately. I've heard that Shaniks office is pretty difficult when it comes to giving referrals. Has anyone's experience been different at Shaniks office? Which Dr. or PA (if any) did give you an OT referral? Which doctor or PA have you seen at Shaniks office and what has your overall experience been? which one of there many offices do you frequent and why? Which office is it the easiest to get an appointment? Which doctors and PA generally go to which office? any other info would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to pm me if you prefer not to post publicly. Thank you

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 5:05 pm
Welcome to Lakewood!!

I also use Dr. Shanik and have been for 30 years. When I wanted a referral for something with one of my kids recently, which I did not think I'd get from Dr. Shanik, I went to the River Ave office and saw Dr. Heimowitz. I'd heard that he does give referrals more easily, and, indeed, he gave me what I asked for.

neverbored

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 5:10 pm
amother wrote:
Welcome to Lakewood!!

I also use Dr. Shanik and have been for 30 years. When I wanted a referral for something with one of my kids recently, which I did not think I'd get from Dr. Shanik, I went to the River Ave office and saw Dr. Heimowitz. I'd heard that he does give referrals more easily, and, indeed, he gave me what I asked for.

Have you used Dr. Heimowitz for general visits? How is his bedside manners? What do you like or dislike about him or the river avenue office?

amother
White

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 5:13 pm
I have seen Dr. Haimowitz many times and am very happy with him.

neverbored

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 8:25 pm
anybody else?

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 8:45 pm
Ive seen dr. Haimowitz. He is actually dr. Shaniks partner. Been happy... the river avenue office is much more professionally run. One thing I didn't like is that the nurses get upset if ur kids walk in the hallway. Some times the wait in the room is so long and it's hard to wait with the door shut as they like. This may have changed cuz I think they used to call pple to the rooms way before the Dr was available to see them and pole complained. Haven't been there in ages though.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 9:14 pm
River ave office isn't as busy as Madison is so it's a better experience plus it has a nicer waiting room. In terms of which doctors/PA go where, I think that for the most part they rotate. I don't know about the other offices eg Howell. Usually if u call one office looking for a particular dr they can tell you when he'll be at a particular office.

Pickle1

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 10:15 pm
ditto for long waits in rooms on river ave - I don't even go to that office unless I want to lose my sanity. the waiting rm is nice and I never waited there for more than 3 minutes. average wait time in an exam room was 1 hr!!! after I already finished I spy, heads and tails and 20 questions... I even have a video clip of my kids all crawling on the floor barking pretending to be dogs. I can't stand that office! try locking urself with x amt of kids in a 8x8 room for one hr with no toys or food. Good luck!!! I only use madison now, dr campton on madison also gives referrals very easily - I needed for speech once and she gave me without a problem.
regarding haimowitz he's very pleasant and thorough - I like to use him for well visits (he's abt 7 ft tall at least)

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 10:20 pm
do u mean Dr. Kanton?

Pickle1

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 10:23 pm
yes

Pickle1

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 10:23 pm
she's arabic/indian or s/t like that

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 10:28 pm
No offense but I won't schedule a visit with Dr. Kanton. We just don't speak the same language.

When I thought I needed an OT referral (turned out I didn't for my insurance) I saw P.A. Weiner at Madison Ave. office. I had no trouble getting what I needed.

I like to schedule well visits at the River Ave. office because there's more privacy. I'm glad they don't allow running thru the office. Lakewood is the only place I've seen that kind of action in a doctor's office. It's very unprofessional, IMVHO. The only thing I don't like about River Ave is that there isn't a separate waiting area for sick and well (unless they hopefully changed that?) DD once got a really bad case of strep right after a well visit, thanks to all the people we overheard discussing their kids' strep in the waiting area, with all those kids running around....

Our favorite doctor in the practice is Dr. Lapidus. He is really knowledgeable, and really nice. I trust him.

Pickle1

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 10:33 pm
I meant to write dr kanton is only good for a referral, nothing else!

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 10:38 pm
Chayalle wrote:

The only thing I don't like about River Ave is that there isn't a separate waiting area for sick and well (unless they hopefully changed that?) DD once got a really bad case of strep right after a well visit, thanks to all the people we overheard discussing their kids' strep in the waiting area, with all those kids running around...around

They have a separate room at the side...not sure if that's for sick kids though

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 11:26 pm
what is your experience with dr golub

debsey

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 11:29 pm
Chayalle wrote:
No offense but I won't schedule a visit with Dr. Kanton. We just don't speak the same language.

When I thought I needed an OT referral (turned out I didn't for my insurance) I saw P.A. Weiner at Madison Ave. office. I had no trouble getting what I needed.

I like to schedule well visits at the River Ave. office because there's more privacy. I'm glad they don't allow running thru the office. Lakewood is the only place I've seen that kind of action in a doctor's office. It's very unprofessional, IMVHO. The only thing I don't like about River Ave is that there isn't a separate waiting area for sick and well (unless they hopefully changed that?) DD once got a really bad case of strep right after a well visit, thanks to all the people we overheard discussing their kids' strep in the waiting area, with all those kids running around....

Our favorite doctor in the practice is Dr. Lapidus. He is really knowledgeable, and really nice. I trust him.

Really? I love Dr. Khanton. She diagnosed something in one of my kids that all the other doctors there kept missing. She took one look and said - let's run this specific test, and sure enough, that's what he had. (It was a worrying symptom and I kept coming back over and over again, and was told it's allergies or some other mild thing, but it wasn't).

I also like River Ave better, and I've really been happy with their practices further out - like Toms River.

mommyla

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 11:44 pm
I am also not a fan of Dr. Kanton. I like to see Dr. Braverman, Dr. Lapidus, Dr. Haimowitz (haven't seen him in a long time, though), and PA Weiner (I know her personally and she's great). The appointment system is a disaster and the Madison office is atrocious (I try to go to River or Brick), but I stay because I feel secure in the event of an emergency, ch"v - and I've had them fit me in at a moment's notice to see Dr. Shanik when necessary.

neverbored

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 10:06 am
thank you all! I'd love to hear more personal experiences, suggestions and tips in the practice and navigating through it all.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 10:47 am
What about not using Shanik's office???
I've been using Westpark Pediatrics ( Dr. Sasson) for over 10 years and I'm thrilled!! The hours are not that great, but I use the clinics for after hour problems(like moonlight or urgent care in westgate) overall I'm very happy, its a clean professionally run office.
If you have any questions please post!

neverbored

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 10:56 am
Hi, can anyone else share their experiences and tips as well please? Thanks so much!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics