Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Kitten Claws!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 6:23 am
To trim, or not to trim, that is the question.

On one hand, she needs to climb all over the house for exercise, and she's not shredding the furniture (yet.)

On the other hand, she is a tiny, psychotic killing machine, and my hands and legs are covered with tiny scratches.

She is super smart, and has already learned that "NO!" and "OW!" means to stop. If she's really hurting me, I blow in her face a bit. She hates that.

Don't even mention declawing, or I will go off on you. Mad

"Soft Paws" caps are not good for baby kittens (12 weeks).

WWYD?

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 6:26 am
I don't know what you should do just telling you enjoy her!! 12 weeks is a cute stage.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 6:37 am
amother wrote:
I don't know what you should do just telling you enjoy her!! 12 weeks is a cute stage.

She's flippin' adorable, and asleep in my lap right now. Very Happy She's a tiny gray tabby. She got an eye infection at birth, and is mostly blind. She likes toys that make a lot of noise, and she loves to be talked to. Her hearing is her whole life.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 6:40 am
Is the cat indoor or outdoor?

Sadie

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 6:41 am
Trim, it won't stop her from climbing and exploring. And if you get her used to it when she's little she will let you do it when she's big. And post a picture!

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 6:42 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
She's flippin' adorable, and asleep in my lap right now. Very Happy She's a tiny gray tabby. She got an eye infection at birth, and is mostly blind. She likes toys that make a lot of noise, and she loves to be talked to. Her hearing is her whole life.

Really? The poor thing! How does she not bump into things If she's almost blind?

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 6:42 am
Sadie wrote:
And post a picture!

This!

anotherima

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 6:43 am
You can clip her nails just very carefully, just the ends. Enjoy your kitten!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 6:48 am
Yuni is an indoor only kitten. We're in an apartment. She uses her nose and whiskers to navigate, and the vet says she can probably see light and dark, as well as movement. No fine details or anything else, though. She seems to be attracted to really shiny toys, so something is getting through. Her toys need to be large, and active for her to notice them.

I will try trimming just the very tips. She likes to be groomed. When I cleaned her ears she went totally limp and looked pretty blissed-out.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 6:50 am
Yuni Kitty

Click the link

I just trimmed her front nails, and she laid on her back and purred.

saralem

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 9:51 am
OMG! FF, she is just too cute. I'm so glad you have a tiny kitty in your household. they are the best. BTW--has anyone used Softpaws--do they really work? How long do they stay on for? We have 3 grown-up cats who have DESTROYED my leather furniture. ( of course, I still love them. )

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 12:02 pm
saralem wrote:
OMG! FF, she is just too cute. I'm so glad you have a tiny kitty in your household. they are the best. BTW--has anyone used Softpaws--do they really work? How long do they stay on for? We have 3 grown-up cats who have DESTROYED my leather furniture. ( of course, I still love them. )

They work for most cats, although some will go crazy and try to chew them off. They will make your cats clumsy, because then they can't grab onto things if they slip on the furniture.

I suggest getting a sturdy scratching post, and every week squirt it with liquid catnip spray. That should keep their claws blunted enough to save your upholstery.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jun 23 2017, 5:59 am
Cats are intelligent aliens in disguise.

I stepped away from my computer for a minute, and she had opened Internet Explorer, Microsoft Excel, Word, and was downloading something. I think she might be studying for a new job.

She also opened my can of Pringles and ate half of them, leaving crumbs all over my bed.

What the heck??????

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 4:38 am
I now know that cats are aware of when they have claws. Now that her nails are trimmed, she's biting me more. Tiny little needle baby teeth!

I stop playing with her whenever she bites me, and if she bites me hard I blow in her face a little and tell her "NO!" She's starting to learn, but sometimes she does it when she wants my attention, or she gets too carried away with playing.

When she is falling asleep, she tries to nurse on my hands, and uses her teeth, too.

I am now calling her "my itty bitty bitey beastie". LOL

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 7:40 am
the only time you have to worry about not clipping their nails is when they are outdoor cats & need to defend themselves

it's beneficial to clip their nails - they surely grow back quick enough ...

I have always kept this steady with our kitties or my mother's kitties - clipping nails & bathing them once a month helps keep them calm & with less dander & shedding hair

enjoy your new baby - mazel meow (^_^)~~~

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 8:17 am
I admittedly don't know much about cats, but you don't want to catch cat scratch fever, FF.

Enjoy her!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 25 2017, 2:18 pm
amother wrote:
I admittedly don't know much about cats, but you don't want to catch cat scratch fever, FF.

Enjoy her!

Don't worry, I keep triple antibiotic cream next to my bed, and twice a day I put it on all the (many) scratches and punctures. She has a tendency to jump off of my lap and really push off with her back feet, so the tops of my legs look like a road map!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets