Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Tips on how to cool down in heatwave?????
1  2  3  Next

simcha4

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 7:20 am
There's an unbearable heatwave in Israel. We live in an apt. with no a/c.
Have a fan which is just blowing hot air.
Help!!! I need tips on how to cool down, besides wetting my tichel, cold shower, or standing in front of the open freezer.
I feel that I'm turning into a shmaltzy shnitzel!!!

tx

Smile1234

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 7:34 am
No tips, its really miserable. Btdt. Make sure you are drinking enough. Ice cold water. Eat ices...
Can you go hang out by a friend who has a/c for a bit?

tf

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 7:38 am
Keep hydrated, even if it means running to the toilet often. We cannot take away the heat for you, though. Is there a public area close by that has a/c? Can you go there with stuff to do to spend as much time as possible? Can you buy an a/c today?

simcha4

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 8:12 am
Smile1234 wrote:
No tips, its really miserable. Btdt. Make sure you are drinking enough. Ice cold water. Eat ices...
Can you go hang out by a friend who has a/c for a bit?

I'm drinking loads.
I was pondering if I shld ask my neighbor if I can come to her a bit to cool down. but, I just don't feel comfortable asking ...

simcha4

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 8:16 am
tf wrote:
Keep hydrated, even if it means running to the toilet often. We cannot take away the heat for you, though. Is there a public area close by that has a/c? Can you go there with stuff to do to spend as much time as possible? Can you buy an a/c today?

thanxaload "smile1234" and "tf" for offering your helpful tips.
re buying an a/c - if we cld afford it we'd have bought one years ago.
not complaining, but the summers seem to be getting hotter and hotter...

tf

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 8:54 am
simcha4 wrote:
I'm drinking loads.
I was pondering if I shld ask my neighbor if I can come to her a bit to cool down. but, I just don't feel comfortable asking ...

I don't know exaaacyly how hot it is there, but if it's thaaaat hot, then it's not a matter of comfort, but rather a matter of safety. For safety purposes, yes. Ask your neighbor. People generally don't feel when dehydration becomes dangerous. Better play it safe than sorry, and better to feel the side effects of temporary discomfort of asking a neighbor than long term problems of suffering from dehydration.

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 8:58 am
Evaporative cooling. hang damp sheets in front of open windows where there is a breeze and/or place a fan behind a damp sheet stretched across some sort of frame or hung on a curtain rod across a doorway. The evaporating water will extract heat from the air as it flows through the fabric, leaving the air blessedly cool on the other side. You will have to find a way to keep the fabric wet. Either immerse the bottom in a pan of water, or spray the sheet with water at regular intervals.

simcha4

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 9:52 am
zaq wrote:
Evaporative cooling. hang damp sheets in front of open windows where there is a breeze and/or place a fan behind a damp sheet stretched across some sort of frame or hung on a curtain rod across a doorway. The evaporating water will extract heat from the air as it flows through the fabric, leaving the air blessedly cool on the other side. You will have to find a way to keep the fabric wet. Either immerse the bottom in a pan of water, or spray the sheet with water at regular intervals.

I just had another cold shower, so feel a bit cooler.

Good idea - re hanging up damp sheets. Forgot about that one. We usually do it on Tisha B'Av if it's very hot and we're fasting.
Tx for reminding me.

Very Happy 4

Smile1234

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 9:52 am
2 summers ago during a heat wave I google homemade ac and saw something about putting ice bottles in front of a fan to get cool air...
Today in Yerushalayim the heat index is/was 102.... so yes, its THAT hot.

simcha4

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 9:57 am
tf wrote:
I don't know exaaacyly how hot it is there, but if it's thaaaat hot, then it's not a matter of comfort, but rather a matter of safety. For safety purposes, yes. Ask your neighbor. People generally don't feel when dehydration becomes dangerous. Better play it safe than sorry, and better to feel the side effects of temporary discomfort of asking a neighbor than long term problems of suffering from dehydration.

really "tf" tx for your concern. much appreciated.
I don't think I'll get dehyd. be'H b/c I'm drinking loads.
I was considering going to my neighbor, and then I see that her kids are playing here. lol. "from the icebox into the furnace" p'haps her kids are too cold and came to heat
up Wink

Very Happy 4

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 9:58 am
Take a dish towel and run it under cold water. Wring it halfway out, and drape it across the back of your neck. You'll have your own personal air conditioner.

If you can stand the walk, go to a grocery store for a while, and hang out in the frozen foods section. Stay there until you feel your core temp come back to normal.

Eat lots of cold fruit from the refrigerator, like grapes, watermelon, and cherries. They will keep you hydrated and give you electolytes.

I'm highly prone to heat stroke, and all of these things have worked for me.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 11:25 am
Pardon my ignorance, but what is this "Very Happy4" that I'm noticing in recent posts?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 11:38 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is this "Very Happy4" that I'm noticing in recent posts?

I think poster simcha4 signs off on her posts with a smiley emoji 4, aka simcha4. Smile

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 11:41 am
ra_mom wrote:
I think poster simcha4 signs off on her posts with a smiley emoji 4, aka simcha4. Smile

Thanks for explaining. I thought there must have been a recent thread I missed discussing doing it as a joke, or something... LOL . I did not notice that it was always the same poster.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 11:42 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Thanks for explaining. I thought there must have been a recent thread I missed discussing doing it as a joke, or something... LOL . I did not notice that it was always the same poster.

Took me a while too. Smile But cute. Smile

simcha4

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 11:46 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Take a dish towel and run it under cold water. Wring it halfway out, and drape it across the back of your neck. You'll have your own personal air conditioner.

If you can stand the walk, go to a grocery store for a while, and hang out in the frozen foods section. Stay there until you feel your core temp come back to normal.

Eat lots of cold fruit from the refrigerator, like grapes, watermelon, and cherries. They will keep you hydrated and give you electolytes.

I'm highly prone to heat stroke, and all of these things have worked for me.

thanks soooo much.

simcha4

Post Mon, Jul 03 2017, 12:51 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

my username - simcha4 (smiley face and 4 near it)
I joined 2 weeks ago, that's y u see it only on recent posts.

I need to work on being b'simcha, so when I post a smiley it helps me, be'H.

salt

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 7:55 am
My DD went to sleep last night with a wet t-shirt on. You could walk around with a wet shirt on - I doubt it would take long for it to dry- you'd have to keep changing it Smile.

BTW, when you're drinking tons, don't forget to eat too. Even though in the heat we don't have much of an appetite. Just drinking water can cause too much dilution of body salts - can't remember the official name but it's dangerous.

It's meant to be cooling down tonight.......

water_bear88

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 8:41 am
salt wrote:
BTW, when you're drinking tons, don't forget to eat too. Even though in the heat we don't have much of an appetite. Just drinking water can cause too much dilution of body salts - can't remember the official name but it's dangerous.

It's meant to be cooling down tonight.......

Yup- as FF said, fruit is great. BH I've been finding good summer fruits this year- that and milk are about the only "solid" food I can stand in this heat.

Now another question- what do you all make for Shabbos when it's this hot? Hopefully not applicable this week but there's at least 2 months left to summer and I doubt this will be the last heatwave. Sad

treestump

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 8:48 am
water_bear88 wrote:
Yup- as FF said, fruit is great. BH I've been finding good summer fruits this year- that and milk are about the only "solid" food I can stand in this heat.

Now another question- what do you all make for Shabbos when it's this hot? Hopefully not applicable this week but there's at least 2 months left to summer and I doubt this will be the last heatwave. Sad

Cold fruit soup, cold chicken salad, light salads, light dips.

It's just too hot for anything heavier or heated.

I've been eating chocolate puddings all week instead of meals because I literally can't digest any solid food in this weather.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics