Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Tips on how to cool down in heatwave?????
Previous  1  2  3  Next

CatLady

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 8:52 am
What about cooling scarves? One per family member is a lot less spendy than AC. If you don't have running stores or sports equipment stores near you, they can be ordered online.

tf

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 8:54 am
Is it impossible to get an air conditioner? Are we going back who knows how many years? What's going on? Why don't people in Isreal have a/c nowadays?

chatz

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 9:28 am
Eating frozen grapes or berries.

treestump

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 9:36 am
tf wrote:
Is it impossible to get an air conditioner? Are we going back who knows how many years? What's going on? Why don't people in Isreal have a/c nowadays?

While many people have air conditioning in Israel, some people can't afford it. Same story in America and just about every place.

water_bear88

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 9:49 am
tf wrote:

If you're renting, it may not be economically feasible to buy the installed kind unless your landlord is willing to cover most of the price. The portable kind takes up a fair amount of floor space and isn't super-effective, IME.

simcha4

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 9:58 am
Smile1234 wrote:
2 summers ago during a heat wave I google homemade ac and saw something about putting ice bottles in front of a fan to get cool air...
Today in Yerushalayim the heat index is/was 102.... so yes, its THAT hot.

do you mean bottles of water turned ice?
interesting tip. sounds great. tx

simcha4

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 10:09 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Thanks for explaining. I thought there must have been a recent thread I missed discussing doing it as a joke, or something... LOL . I did not notice that it was always the same poster.

Smile sorry if I got some of you scratching their head, puzzled ....
I also like to smile to people

Very Happy 4

gibberish

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 10:13 am
Wet your shirt and snood and walk around with wet clothing. Due to the heat, the clothing will dry quickly but keep you cool.
Stay hydrated, and see if there's a place with air conditioning where you can hang out.

simcha4

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 10:19 am
salt wrote:
My DD went to sleep last night with a wet t-shirt on. You could walk around with a wet shirt on - I doubt it would take long for it to dry- you'd have to keep changing it Smile.

BTW, when you're drinking tons, don't forget to eat too. Even though in the heat we don't have much of an appetite. Just drinking water can cause too much dilution of body salts - can't remember the official name but it's dangerous.

It's meant to be cooling down tonight.......

oooh!!!! was she able to fall sleep???

good idea - walking around with a wet shirt, but not really feasible.
imagine if I forget and open the front door like that embarrassed

tx for your info about body salts. I'm a poor eater to start off with, and in the heat ....
I find that drinking a lot fills one up too.

simcha4

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 10:22 am
CatLady wrote:
What about cooling scarves? One per family member is a lot less spendy than AC. If you don't have running stores or sports equipment stores near you, they can be ordered online.

tx for the idea, but what is a cooling scarf?

Butterfly

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 10:32 am
Please take out a loan or contact some tzedaka fund or whatever else there is out there, and get yourself an air-conditioner ASAP!

You can probably purchase one for under $500.00 or a second-hand one for less.

We are not talking thousands of dollars here!!

Please!! You don't deserve to suffer like that!!

Last edited by Butterfly on Tue, Jul 04 2017, 10:34 am; edited 2 times in total

simcha4

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 10:32 am
tf wrote:

perhaps I live in Terach's times? who knows? so then u all do too Wink
let me know if u meet Avrohom Avinu ...

there r people in Israel who often have to scrounge around for the 8 shekels for a bread to give their family supper!!!

I know a family where a prize for their kids is a ... scrambled egg!!!

sped

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 10:33 am
My friends mother grew up in Bet Shean. Her mother used to pour water on the floor and the kids would lie in it. For sleeping, take a COLD shower, soak pajamas and linen. It will dry by morning.

simcha4

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 10:38 am
gibberish wrote:
Wet your shirt and snood and walk around with wet clothing. Due to the heat, the clothing will dry quickly but keep you cool.
Stay hydrated, and see if there's a place with air conditioning where you can hang out.

I think I am going to pluck up the courage and ask my neighbor if I can come in and cool off by her. the sun is burning in and my window blinds are broken so can't let them down.

a big plus of this weather - the laundry hanging outside dries super-fast.

Orchid

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 10:43 am
Butterfly wrote:
Please take out a loan or contact some tzedaka fund or whatever else there is out there, and get yourself an air-conditioner ASAP!

The electricity to run it is exorbitant - the issue is not the cost of the a/c itself.

OP, don't wear a shell or stockings. Long skirt with crew socks. Tichel, no sheitel.

We had some neighbors drop in and enjoy our AC - we were thrilled to offer this very easy favor. We had it on anyway and got to help other people in the process. Granted, we offered before they had to ask, so I get that it can be uncomfortable to ask. But hopefully they're nice and when you say "hi Sarah, do you think we can hang out in your living room for a couple of hours to cool off?" you'll be met with a warm "OF COURSE!"

simcha4

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 10:44 am
Butterfly wrote:

I really sincerely appreciate your caring.
We live in a rented apt. so it isn't feasible - I don't see our landlord investing in an a/c if he didn't do it in the last 2+ decades since he bought this apt.

We're living here 7 years.

and for us to do it, doesn't come into question, esp. that we B'H married off our daughter 3 weeks ago ...

simcha4

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 10:47 am
sped wrote:
My friends mother grew up in Bet Shean. Her mother used to pour water on the floor and the kids would lie in it. For sleeping, take a COLD shower, soak pajamas and linen. It will dry by morning.

can't one catch a cold sleeping on a very wet bed??? I know my question sounds funny considering the weather, but still...

simcha4

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 10:54 am
I really sincerely very much appreciate everyone's concern and caring and input.

thanks so much.

I'm running to the neighbor, before, I melt.
hope she's home ...

ttttxxxx

Very Happy 4

CatLady

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 11:18 am
This is a cooling scarf: https://www.amazon.com/JellyBe.....X4X9E

It has gel pellets that absorb water and cool you off. Many different varieties are out there, and I'm ordxering one for myself because my office is not air-conditioned.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 04 2017, 11:24 am
I have a/c in France because I must.

My grandparents have a/c and barely use it (Israel) because they can't pay. My uncle doesn't have. My other uncle didn't even have heating. All beautiful apartments.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics