Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How much to pay for kids clothing?

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Oct 04 2007, 4:58 pm
How much do you pay for little kids clothing? per pants? per top? $5, $10, $20? how much? toddlers? babies?

shalhevet

Post Thu, Oct 04 2007, 5:20 pm
In Israel?

A top (weekday) - maybe 10-20 shekels.
Pants (weekday) - maybe 10-15 shekels in summer, for winter courdroy or fleece 20-30 shekels.

For Shabbos - perhaps 30-50 shekels for a summer outfit; a little more in the winter.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Oct 04 2007, 6:19 pm
In the States, I never paid more than $12.99 for a pair of pants (on sale). Never more than $10 for a shirt, including a Shabbat white dress shirt. Here prices vary widely. It all depends on what your budget is and if you want the clothes to last for more than one kid. I see a lot of cheap imports, which while very inexpensive (everything in the 15-30 shekel range) don't wear very well. I did buy my little one summer shirts for about 10 NIS each. They aren't cotton (but feel soft) and washed and wore very well, and are going to look great on the lucky neighbor who inherits them. In the States I would never buy such a cheap fabric, but there I could always find something decent on sale. As the ancient mother of 5 boys I would suggest: spend as little as you can. You have more important things to spend on.

Tefila

Post Sat, Oct 06 2007, 10:20 pm
Quote:
How much do you pay for little kids clothing? per pants? per top? $5, $10, $20? how much? toddlers? babies?

Till they are 10yrs I will not pay more then 20.00 per item on any outer clothing excluding coats which I would pay max 40.00, call me cheap whatever, but b"h my kids looks usually well dressed and groomed B"H (which I hear from others Smile)
Thanks to sales and a cheapo mother (me LOL ) who just loves ebay!!! Tongue Out

One more thing I don't get them tons of clothing eighter just enuf for two weeks worth per season, with extras for shabbos/yom tov.

Last edited by Tefila on Sun, Oct 07 2007, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

mushmom

Post Sat, Oct 06 2007, 11:40 pm
I have seen ppl spend enormous and ridiculous amounts on kids clothing and it seems like a terrible waste to me. on the other hand, I LOVE dressing my kids beautifully and I have expensive taste..... so my solution: DAFFYS. If you live in NYC, the best deals ever can be found there for gorgeous clothing, mostly imported and European and just as stunning as anything youll find in the nice frum stores. You must go to the Manhattan Daffys though- the largest kids selection is at the 57th St. location (57th btwn Lex and Park) and the 44th St (and Madison). Easy to get to by subway and WORTH your time. Of course since its designer discount, you may come on a day with little to find, but if you come as often as you can, you will definitely find great stuff. Excellent italian shoes too. I buy ALL my kids clothes there- and, except on rare occasons, do not spend more than 10 on a top, 10-15 on skirt/pants (20-30 for very dressy), 30 on shoes..
I could go on and on bc daffys is the citys best kept secret, IMHO.

mommyX2

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 12:05 am
under 5 for summer shirts, under 8 for winter,

under 7 for shorts, under 10 for pants

my kids where mostly childrens place, some gap and old navy. mostly bought last season on great sales. they always look cute Smile (this is boys cloths btw)

Maya

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 12:11 am
Mushmom, I agree with you on the Daffy's thing, but I rarely shop there. My mom is always there, so she picks me up the stuff I need. I hate going there because I prefer to shop in neat, organized stores. Daffy's has so many racks one on top of the other, and it makes me nervous shopping in a place like that. Especially with a stroller and a kid who only wants to grab everything...

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 12:22 am
totally easy to find stuff on sale with patience ... at good stores ... same stuff that once was expensive ... on clearance - it's that easy

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 11:43 am
I do not spend more than $10 per OUTFIT for my one year old. shabbos cloze I may spend a little more but I try very hard not too.
and no, my kid does not look like a shlump in dumpy cheapy clothes. I just prefer to spend my $$ on other things.

if anyone is interested, I shop in conway on E. 16th st and kings highway and kid city on ralph ave.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 11:46 am
Twizzlers wrote:
I do not spend more than $10 per OUTFIT for my one year old. shabbos cloze I may spend a little more but I try very hard not too.
and no, my kid does not look like a shlump in dumpy cheapy clothes. I just prefer to spend my $$ on other things.

if anyone is interested, I shop in conway on E. 16th st and kings highway and kid city on ralph ave.

The fact is NOT whether your kid looks like a shlump in dumpy cheapy clothes, but whether those children clothed in expensive clothes look any better. A friend of mine once said, meanly but wisely, that a mees (ugly) child may need the clothes to look better, our beautiful children don't!

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 11:52 am
Tamiri wrote:

The fact is NOT whether your kid looks like a shlump in dumpy cheapy clothes, but whether those children clothed in expensive clothes look any better. A friend of mine once said, meanly but wisely, that a mees (ugly) child may need the clothes to look better, our beautiful children don't!

I honestly dont think that expensive CHILDRENS clothes make a kid look better. if a kid is ugly, dress them in something pretty; expensive will not do the trick.

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 11:57 am
there is such a thing as better quality of clothing ... those that do not fall apart after a washing or 2 ... but as I said you can go to the reg stores and buy stuff on sale ... they always go on sale ... or even closeout stores ... you just have to spend more time shopping ...

and it's not just in the clothes - it is how well groomed the wearer is ... you could have stunning clothes with messy hair and a dirty face - and ugly clothes worn neatly ... What

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 11:58 am
I buy what I like for dd. I have stuff that cost 1 euro over ebay and stuff that cost really too much. Totally brandless or Burberry and everything in between. Many things from when I was a baby. I have no strict rule, except "wow, that's ganef business" or "it's worth it".

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 2:54 pm
I prefer hand-me downs and ebay. I also will buy stuff at daffys, marshells, tjmax and burlington coat factory. I also like childrens place stuff and they are pretty good priced. I rarely buy much for the kids though because I get so much from family and friends.

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 3:40 pm
My kids go to a school that requires uniforms after kindergarten so they don't need too much clothing. Since I only have one girl I tend to spend more on her then my sons.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 4:17 pm
I also like Childrens Place when there's a sale plus I have a coupon. I have bought at the end of a season for the next year - esp. matching shirts for my boys. Smile How can you go wrong with a nice t-shirt or top for under $5?
Last winter I bought a few warm pajamas, used without tags, on ebay and got a great deal. I got like 6 pairs for $12, or something along those lines. As long as you don't need to stock up as soon as the season starts, you can wait until the sales start.
(for example - in NY now we're still wearing summer clothes....! So even if they didn't have long sleeves yet, now the sales start.)

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 4:24 pm
I used to be a big "gymboree" sale addict ... so much FUN ... all the matching stuff ... I used to do that for my kids before they had the matching stuff out ... my sis made fun of me ... like why do you have to match the underwear ... What

gryp

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 8:29 pm
Quote:

Thumbs Up

I don't see a point in buying expensive clothing. Kids stain their clothes and outgrow them before they have a chance to really wear them.

I get shirts anywhere from $2.50- $6 and pants $10 and under.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Oct 07 2007, 10:08 pm
I very rarely pay more then 10 dollars on a top or pants.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics