Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Davening

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:37 pm
Hello all,

Just wondering. What do people do when teaching siddur and davening? My DD will be in 3rd grade in public school next year. She can read Hebrew slowly but gets frustrated when she can't keep up with her camp bunk mates when they are davening. And even more frustrated using a regular siddur (which is all we have to teach her with) as opposed to what they use at camp.

So, what comes first? Seems to me that it's rote memorization from the kids who go to day school and then as Hebrew skills follow, they can also actually read what they are saying. I might be wrong. I did not have a Hebrew education. I learned as an adult and have taught myself after a few years of exposure.

But I have no idea how to teach my DD. Or where to start. She was in day school a few years back but didn't work out. Honestly, back then I just left it up to her school to teach her but didn't do any "one on one" with her with davening this past year.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 10 2017, 10:58 pm
If your goal is to have her davening like her peers, then just get someone to make a recording of the "standard" tefillah for her age group and play it while she tries to sing along.

If you want her to learn davening properly, I'd do it differently.

First of all, yes you need to work on Hebrew reading. But work on Hebrew comprehension along with it - try to use as many words as you can that she already knows, and teach her new ones. Start with Shabbos, Torah, Challah, etc. so she is reading a LANGUAGE, not reading gobbledygook printed in code.

As for Tefillah specifically:

1) Have her do a VERY basic and brief davening daily. I mean like Modeh Ani, Al Netilas Yadayim (after washing her hands the second time), Torah Tziva, Hareini, Shema, close her eyes and ask Hashem for all she needs, Ach Tzadikim.

2) Begin teaching her the MEANING of the davening. What the words mean, and why we are saying this to Hashem. Start with parts of davening she is already saying. (I.e. Modeh Ani, we thank Hashem for giving us back our neshama each and every day.)

3) As her reading skills improve, start reading through the siddur after davening for a few minutes each day. Just read through from the beginning until the end, so that she becomes comfortable with the words of all of the Tefillos, including Shabbos and Yom Tov.

4) Once she is fluent with the words of ALL of davening (this will take a while, probably well over a year), she can start adding parts to her daily tefillah. I would suggest not adding parts until she knows their meaning first.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling