Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Real cheek meat or imitation (imported)?

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jul 11 2017, 9:58 pm
I saw on another thread that many people recommended cheek meat for the cholent. My grocery only carries cubed cheek meat, but they also carry "imitation" beef cheek meat that is imported; that they sell in regular sized cuts. Has anyone used this cheaper imitation cut with good results?

crust

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 6:12 am
I use imitation cheeck in te chloent. Just as good. Really bo difference.

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 6:37 am
I don't like imitation at all. It is a tougher cut, and I notice the difference.

My butcher puts out cheek meat at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesdays. It is gone within a couple of hours. Some grocery stores in Monsey limit cheek meat to 1/2 lb at a time if you are lucky enough to get it. Some of the butcher's keep it in the back for special customers.

crust

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 6:53 am
Squishy wrote:
I don't like imitation at all. It is a tougher cut, and I notice the difference.

In the cholent, do you notice it?

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:07 am
crust wrote:
In the cholent, do you notice it?

For sure. My guests also notice. Cheek meat is very muscular and when cooked for a long time becomes tender.

I don't think there would be a run on cheek meat like this if there wasn't a difference.

crust

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:13 am
Squishy wrote:
For sure. My guests also notice. Cheek meat is very muscular and when cooked for a long time becomes tender.

I don't think there would be a run on cheek meat like this if there wasn't a difference.

To be honest, I wasn't from the lukies to get cheek for 8 years probably. So, perhaps I forgot the difference.

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:23 am
crust wrote:
To be honest, I wasn't from the lukies to get cheek for 8 years probably. So, perhaps I forgot the difference.

LOL, I start reminding DH on Tuesday which I did already today. I have this programmed into my calender to sent out two reminders Wed morning.

I love cheek meat. It is an amazing cut outisde of chulent also braised and slow cooked. It tastes great resting one day.

sneakermom

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:48 am
I remember the days when cheek meat was the cheapest cut you could find. My mil used to make it for special occasions and it was delicious. But not as fancy as other cuts.

Back in the day flanken was the choice meat for cholent. About ten years ago someone realized cheek meat is great in cholent and the fad brought up the prices like crazy.

thanks

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 8:57 am
I saw the imitation cheek meat in my grocery. I will not buy it until I know what cut it is.
Can you ask your butcher to make you a package of cheek meat? That's what I do.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 10:00 am
What is imitation meat? Is it not meat or another part?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 12:37 pm
yo'ma wrote:
What is imitation meat? Is it not meat or another part?

Lol I find the name strange too. I've seen it at the butcher.
It's a cheaper cut of meat than cheek meat. I wonder if it's mock tender aka kolichel. I should check out what it looks like next time I'm there. I usually don't pay attention as I prefer other cuts in my cholent.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 12:50 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Lol I find the name strange too. I've seen it at the butcher.
It's a cheaper cut of meat than cheek meat. I wonder if it's mock tender aka kolichel. I should check out what it looks like next time I'm there. I usually don't pay attention as I prefer other cuts in my cholent.

Which cut do you suggest?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 12:55 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Which cut do you suggest?

I like old fashioned chuck in my cholent. I put my cholent up raw on low and leave it to cook for 20 hours, no longer than 24. Lay the raw meat down on top of everything else, no mixing, before closing the lid of the crock. Meat comes out amazing.

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 1:00 pm
sneakermom wrote:
I remember the days when cheek meat was the cheapest cut you could find. My mil used to make it for special occasions and it was delicious. But not as fancy as other cuts.

Back in the day flanken was the choice meat for cholent. About ten years ago someone realized cheek meat is great in cholent and the fad brought up the prices like crazy.

Yes, when I look up recipes for cheek meat, the treif recipes say not to overlook this cheap cut.

sneakermom

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 1:13 pm
I use club steak for my cholent and it comes out delicious.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jul 18 2017, 1:19 pm
The meat between the ribs is excellent for cholent too
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics