Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Want them to "like" me

amother

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 2:56 am
I'm trying out at a job that I'm frankly over qualified for, assisting in a preschool class. However, I can't seem to find what I am qualified for and cannot wait till I do, so I'm doing this, and the employer is making it no secret that the main requirement for the job is that I am liked by the teachers I will work with. This requirement, and it's very loose definition intimidates me.

Any preschool teachers on here who can tell me how I can get the teachers to like me? Rolling Eyes I need this job, besides which I will be really hurt if they don't "like me". Confused

zeldy

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 6:15 am
I would think that this means that in the past those teachers have had problems with their assistants. Find out what those problems were. Most often problems with assistants come up b/c the main teacher feels that the assistant is not working hard enough or is taking over her authority. I wouldn't care if "they like you"- that just means whether or not they can get along with you and that probably will get better if you find out what sorts of problems they were having in the past. Good luck.

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 9:46 am
just be a good you ... and agree with zeldy - do the job and not the teacher's job ... in other words the hard part will be in not taking over her job (especially since you said you are over qualified) - just helping where and how she wants/needs ... then you will be liked job wise (friend wise is a whole other realm - one does or doesn't)

Tefila

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 2:23 pm
Quote:
Most often problems with assistants come up b/c the main teacher feels that the assistant is not working hard enough or is taking over her authority.

100%, my thoughts too Exclamation

avimom

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 2:48 pm
What I appreciate in my assistants is when they do things automatically, without being told every time. Such as, when laminating comes back, they cut it out, or at least ask if it should be, instead of jusy sitting and waiting to be told what to do. Also, I like when they dont give any attitude about the less desirable jobs. NO ONE likes changing accidents or washing paintbrushes when you finish painting, but someone has to do it, so please don't roll your eyes or kvetch about it!! I wouldn't worry too much, most teachers are happy with their assistants if they're open enough about what they want.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 2:48 pm
The teachers don't like (a) when the assistants talk to the parents about the child (b) "waste time" like at recess, talking to other assistants, rather than watching the children (c) suggest "better" ways of doing what they have been doing the same way for 1000 years (d) get "lost" on the way to the bathroom or to the coffee urn (e) get into disciplining the kids too much

The teachers like (a) when the assistant is just that: does what she is told when she is told (b) cleans up messes without being asked (c) watches the kids while teacher takes a break (d) does a good job preparing

They will like you if you are obedient and meek :-)

avimom

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 2:50 pm
Quote:

well said :-)

Tamiri

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 3:12 pm
Vent: twenty years ago I was an assistant in pre-school (can you tell?) I was a young married, mother and we had nothing to our name. DH was a student. We were new to the U.S. I got a job working so I could pay my son's tuition for preschool and be there the same hours as him. I earned less than min wage and there was no pension etc. In short, slave labor. Anyway, when Chanuka came around, the head teacher insisted that she and her 2 assistants give the children a chanuka gift. I will forever hold that against her. I was ashamed to say that we had nothing, had to apply for heat assistance. I hinted that maybe I could not swing it (I think it was $40) but she said that if I don't contribute, they would give the gifts and leave my name out. She said that since the parents gave the teachers presents, we had to give the kids (guess who got a $$$ present and who didn't). This was an older woman, with children of my age at the time. She's the same age as my father and should have had better sense. I know I shouldn't, but I do hold it against her.
Teachers, no matter who you are: remember that the assistant is a human being. Even if she can get down on the floor with the kids cause she's young enough, and doesn't tire as easily as you do, she may have other issues that you, as a Jew, should consider.
There, I've had my vent. Thanks for reading.

gryp

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 3:20 pm
Sorry to hear that, Tamiri. Those kind of situations are awful to be in. Sad
I don't know why people don't have more sense in their heads. Rolling Eyes

Tefila

Post Mon, Oct 08 2007, 6:01 pm
c
Quote:
) suggest "better" ways of doing what they have been doing the same way for 1000 years

Huh I'd grab the opportunity for someone to suggest a better way to do something providing it's feesible.

Quote:

Huh Noone wants a doormat or robot u know Rolling Eyes

momof6

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 8:41 pm
There is a happy medium.
Most of our teachers apreciate some advice if it is given politely, and here and there. "Advice" however sometimes borders on critism and should not be constant. I find that there is a happy balance in our school of assistant being respectful (of the teacher's yrs of experience and education) and giving helpful and valued input.
Very often teachers will quote their assistants.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 14 2007, 9:27 pm
I'm the OP. It's been working out boruch Hashem. I've been trying to work hard, and be helpful. I'm also trying to get to know the children, and anticipate when help is needed. I think teachers will like someone with personality though. Being a helpful robot may not be what some teachers want, they want someone who interacts with the children.

So it's a bit like a tightrope, don't let too much personality show, but not too little either.

I did teach preschool myself though, so it's hard to keep all my experience under my hat, but I do it. and of course I wish I was getting a bigger salary, commensurate with my experience, instead of being paid a beginner's assistant one.Confused

amother

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 1:23 am
it looks like I spoke too soon. The director told me that I should be be "tuned in" tomorrow, when I'll be subbing for an assistant teacher who is out.

I really couldn't fathom what she meant, because as far as I know, the teachers I worked with last week appreciated my help - they said so- and I'm sure they did not complain. I was helpful and cooperative, and didn't step on anyone's toes either. Confused

I am very conscientious about anything I do, and do NOT space out. Sometimes I may observe and think, because I want to be aware and do things properly rather than carelessly. Everything I do bears the mark of thoroughness and precision, yet I try to work efficiently too.

However I am not a "parade" or "charade" person. I get the job done, but without fanfare and publicity. Now this is a low paying job, and low level job, it's not like you have to be a star to do it right. Why do I have to hurt like this?

Mevater

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 1:26 pm
People can be critical, fussy and picky for a million reasons. You just have to do your best and don't be down on yourself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics