Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Franks in blanks for shabbos?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 3:27 pm
Should franks in blanks be served hot or can they be cold or room temp? If I want to keep them warm, can they stay on the blech or could this be a problem for food safety reasons?

Tirza

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 3:37 pm
They don't taste very good cold. They should be served warm. Just keep it in the fridge and put it on the blech for a few minutes before serving. Serve them with mustard or bbq sauce for dipping.

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 4:03 pm
I serve them to my kids all the time on shabbos! They should be warm and will not taste good cold. For shabbos day I heat on top of crock pot.

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 4:10 pm
I would have agreed that they're better warmed up. However, I've been making them the past few weeks and my kids and DH eat the "leftovers" out of the fridge cold. I make two entire packs of hot dogs wrapped in challah dough and maybe six are consumed on Friday night. That should leave ten to be warmed up for Shabbos day, right? Apparently not. I come downstairs to discover an empty Ziploc bag and nary a frank nor blank to be found.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 4:12 pm
Fox wrote:
I would have agreed that they're better warmed up. However, I've been making them the past few weeks and my kids and DH eat the "leftovers" out of the fridge cold. I make two entire packs of hot dogs wrapped in challah dough and maybe six are consumed on Friday night. That should leave ten to be warmed up for Shabbos day, right? Apparently not. I come downstairs to discover an empty Ziploc bag and nary a frank nor blank to be found.

LOL they left you the ziploc bag? That's so nice of them!

mom71

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 5:29 pm
I would love to try it with challah dough. How long do you bake it for?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 5:35 pm
I serve them cold all the time. Never any left over.

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 6:00 pm
mom71 wrote:
I would love to try it with challah dough. How long do you bake it for?

Twenty minutes or so at 400 degrees. I roll the challah dough into "snakes" and wrap them around the hot dogs. Egg and decorate with poppy seeds and/or sesame seeds.

mom71

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 6:01 pm
Thank u. Cant wait to try Very Happy

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 27 2017, 6:06 pm
Here's a recipe for Hot Dog Bread. No reason you couldn't use challah dough instead of regular bread dough.

Serve with good mustard or your preferred dipping sauce.

Hot Dog Bread
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Red Star Yeast

Ingredients:

For Hot Dog Bread

3 1/4 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons Red Star Active Dry Yeast
2 TBSP sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water
1 TBSP shortening
1 egg
3/4 lb. hot dogs
butter or margarine, softened

Honey Mustard Sauce

1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1 tablespoon honey1/2 tablespoon lemon juice

Sweet and Spicy Honey Apricot Sauce

1/2 cup chicken broth
1 and 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons apricot preserves
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon chili sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
generous pinch adobo chile pepper or ground red pepper

Directions:

For Hot Dog Bread

In large mixer bowl, combine 2½ cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt; mix well. Add warm water (120-130°F), shortening and egg to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in remaining flour to make a stiff batter. Cover; let rise in warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.

Stir down batter. Spread evenly in greased 13x9-inch cake pan. Cut hot dogs in half, crosswise; press down into batter. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 25 minutes. Bake at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Brush with butter.

Serve warm with mustard or dipping sauce

Honey Mustard Sauce

In a small bowl, whisk all ingredients together. Refrigerate leftovers, tightly covered.

Sweet n Spicy Honey Apricot Sauce

In a small sauce pan, whisk cornstarch into chicken both until combined. Over medium-low heat, stir in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Refrigerate leftovers, tightly covered

Notes:

You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) in place of Active Dry Yeast in batter/no knead recipes. When using Instant Yeast, expect your batter/dough to rise faster - about 50% faster. Adjust your rise times accordingly. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use ½ tsp Instant Yeast OR ¾ tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics