Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Starting keto, need help planning meals
1  2  Next

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 7:31 am
I'm doing this on my own
I know the basics but still have questions
Need to lose 20lbs to be at a normal BMI
Also have arthritis/joint knee issues.
No other health issues

Basically I'm going to try to do 75% fat, 20% protein, 5 % net carbs from non-starchy vegetables.

Do I need to be concerned with calories?

Also, what are some staples that I should stock up on?
Thinking more along the lines of keto baked goods to make before and keep frozen, not grocery list. Or things that take long to make. Or snacks to keep on hand just in case.

Any help would be appreciated

I'm 5'0, 148lbs, age 50. I need to be at least 128 to be at a normal BMI. I feel better(joints) at 120-125.

Been battling the same 20lbs for quite a while. Up and down like a yo-yo

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 8:19 am
which website is best to track calories, carbs, fat, protein, etc.
Need one thatcalculates net carbs and percentage

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 11:08 am
I'm doing Atkins because I don't need to think about anything but what's on the list in the book, in terms of the carb guide. I've lost thirty pounds without trying, recording or any other special behaviours.

I read the book thirty years ago. Everything I've experienced since I started mirrors my more recent copy of the book.

No hunger, he tells you how to deal with plateaus. I feel good and e en if I never lost another pound, at 285 and five feet, I still feel great!

But that will not happen. I'm just not obsessing about it.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 5:13 pm
BUMP

marina

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 5:21 pm
amother wrote:
I'm doing this on my own
I know the basics but still have questions
Need to lose 20lbs to be at a normal BMI
Also have arthritis/joint knee issues.
No other health issues

Basically I'm going to try to do 75% fat, 20% protein, 5 % net carbs from non-starchy vegetables.

Do I need to be concerned with calories?

Also, what are some staples that I should stock up on?
Thinking more along the lines of keto baked goods to make before and keep frozen, not grocery list. Or things that take long to make. Or snacks to keep on hand just in case.

Any help would be appreciated

I'm 5'0, 148lbs, age 50. I need to be at least 128 to be at a normal BMI. I feel better(joints) at 120-125.

Been battling the same 20lbs for quite a while. Up and down like a yo-yo

There's so much information out there. If you're looking to lose just 20-25 lbs, I would also do intermittent fasting ( go 8 hours without eating basically). Don't count calories unless you are stalling.

nuts, cheesecake,

https://www.facebook.com/group.....abes/

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 5:27 pm
Don't have FB account and don't want to start

Which site do you use to track macro percentage and net carbs
My fitness pal only tells me total carbs and doesn't calculate percentage.

browser

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 6:55 pm
Dr Eric berg had a lot of videos on YouTube about ketosis, weightloss, many recipes.
He also talks about intermittent fasting.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 7:06 pm
I am almost like you. Also 5 ft .... for the last few yrs I was about 135 and trying to loose 10 lbs. I am 45 yrs old now and I have put on 6 lbs! within the last few months I went up to 141. I also need to loose close to 20 lbs though at this point I would be thrilled with 10. I have had great success in the past with weight watchers so if you are ready for it, I would recommend it since I know that it works. You can also track your food on myfitnesspal.com - many people have seen great results. I need to get back in to it ... I will follow your thread for helpful tips to motivate me to get started again. Good luck to both of us!

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 7:53 pm
amother wrote:
I am almost like you. Also 5 ft .... for the last few yrs I was about 135 and trying to loose 10 lbs. I am 45 yrs old now and I have put on 6 lbs! within the last few months I went up to 141. I also need to loose close to 20 lbs though at this point I would be thrilled with 10. I have had great success in the past with weight watchers so if you are ready for it, I would recommend it since I know that it works. You can also track your food on myfitnesspal.com - many people have seen great results. I need to get back in to it ... I will follow your thread for helpful tips to motivate me to get started again. Good luck to both of us!

Thanks for the advise.
I really want to do a ketogenic diet, because I realized that carbs aggregate my arthritis. A little bit of challah and right away I have pain in my knees, makes it hard to walk. If I eat cholent, forget about it I can hardly move.
The problem I'm having on myfitnesspal is that it doesn't give me the percentage of macros, and it only has total carbs, not net carbs, unless I don't know how to use the program.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 5:17 am
Looking for a website that will help me keep track of my net carbs and mracro daily percentage.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 6:10 am
I went to fit day and I tried making myself a daily menu and came out to about 2700 cal.
This is way too many calories
The percentages came out ok, but I can't believe I can lose weight on sooo many calories.

I want a daily go to menu plan. I'm ok with eating the same thing every day more or less.

This is what I was planning
Breakfast
1 keto flax mug bread-1/4 ground flax, 1 egg, 1 TBSP coconut oil
2 Tbsp cream cheese
Coffee
1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk

Egg salad-or-Tuna salad made with mayo, 1/2 cup and 2 Tbsp mayo
2 cups lettuce with 2 TBSP oil

Chicken Leg 1/4 thigh and drum stick

Please help me plan, I want to start next week. I have 6 weeks until RH(from when I start) and would like to get 5-6 pounds off by then.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 7:17 am
Would really want to plan /prepare right after TishaBeav so I'm ready to start Sunday.

marina

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 7:22 am
amother wrote:
Don't have FB account and don't want to start

Which site do you use to track macro percentage and net carbs
My fitness pal only tells me total carbs and doesn't calculate percentage.

I don't do that. Only lazy keto. Lost 50 lbs never tracked anything, just generally counted carbs per day.

If you don't like FB, there's always google. There are tons of sites out there and it's hard to explain everything from scratch. It's like asking how does weight watchers work, can you plan my meals.

marina

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 7:23 am
amother wrote:
I went to fit day and I tried making myself a daily menu and came out to about 2700 cal.
This is way too many calories
The percentages came out ok, but I can't believe I can lose weight on sooo many calories.

I want a daily go to menu plan. I'm ok with eating the same thing every day more or less.

This is what I was planning
Breakfast
1 keto flax mug bread-1/4 ground flax, 1 egg, 1 TBSP coconut oil
2 Tbsp cream cheese
Coffee

Please help me plan, I want to start next week. I have 6 weeks until RH(from when I start) and would like to get 5-6 pounds off by then.

I don't understand why you think this is 2700 calories. Unless you're eating the whole chicken and an entire carton of eggs.

Last edited by marina on Mon, Jul 31 2017, 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 8:59 am
marina wrote:
This is fine. But you might be starving.

You say I should add more food
That means more calories
Already I'm at 2700 cal.
Usually-
I don't lose weight unles I go real low, like 1000 cal.
But that hasn't helped me maintain it off.

3000 cal. A day is not too much.

Also someone mentioned intermittent fasting.

Should I eat more calories at each meal and have 2 meals a day with an 8 -9 hr. window?
Breakfast at 8 and dinner at 5?
Techinally I could eat 1/2 my planned lunch with breakfast and 1/2 with dinner.

I really want to lose these 20lbs once and for all and keep them off.

I need a plan that won't drive me crazy and then I quit.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 9:40 am
I don't think you count calories with a ketogenic diet. In fact you are supposed to eat a lot of fat, that is what keeps you full.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 11:13 am
Can someone help me tweak the above menu.
Once I have a basic menu, I'm ok eating the same thing everyday.
Should I increase veggies, protein, fat?
I'm at 2700 cal. now

marina

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:
Can someone help me tweak the above menu.
Once I have a basic menu, I'm ok eating the same thing everyday.
Should I increase veggies, protein, fat?
I'm at 2700 cal. now

I accidentally edited my reply above instead of responding to this.

Anyway, there is no way you are eating 2700 calories with what you posted above. It's more like 1200-1500 calories tops. Unless you are eating the whole chicken and a dozen eggs.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jul 31 2017, 1:32 pm
Here is the variety of what I eat. I own my own restaurant, so I have menu items that work. I do not measure, I do not count calories. when I am at home we keep it simple. my400 pound son is also doing this now. we both find we don't think about food unless we are REALLy hungry. If youve ever been in OA, I feel like I have been blessed with instant abstinence. I'm not in oa anymore but this is what that must feel like.

-probably 3/4 to a cup of tuna salad with a bunch of lettuce and some ceasar dressing
- a mess of scrambled eggs with a ceasar salad no croutons
- baked salmon and pan roasted green beans
- tuna salad made with olive oil, lemon juice, celery, white or lima beans, sun dried tomatoes, capers
- greek salad with assorted vegetables including peppers, celery, black olives, tomato, cucumber, feta and oil based greek dressing
-ive been enjoying some taramasalata (noncarb) I picked up in buffalo
at the meat restaurant here, when it is not the 9 days, I eat 16 oz steaks (although lately, I can't seem to eat the whole thing) and israeli salad as well as roasted vegetables
on shabbat I eat whatever meats we are having as well as fish. we eat a lot of mushrooms, and cooked cabbage with various flavourings as well.
I also like fake cabbage rolls with no rice.
oh and french onion soup, no croutons.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 8:13 am
marina wrote:
I accidentally edited my reply above instead of responding to this.

Anyway, there is no way you are eating 2700 calories with what you posted above. It's more like 1200-1500 calories tops. Unless you are eating the whole chicken and a dozen eggs.

I put in the above menu into My Fitness Pal
I have the amounts stated
It says 2700 CAL.
How am I suppose to lose weight eating 2700 cal.
I'm 5'0, as of today 145lbs.

Here's the menu
Breakfast
keto flax mug bread-1/4 ground flax, 1 egg, 1 TBSP coconut oil
2 Tbsp cream cheese
Coffee

Lunch

Dinner

I would love to have more veggies, but it will be more than 20g of carbs.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise