Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What are you making tonight?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 5:44 pm
crust wrote:
Mammaleh, Are you sure you are allowed to fast?

I usually feel this way.
I can't believe I'm standing, let alone at the stove and making food BH

squirrel

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 5:46 pm
amother wrote:
Can you post your veg soup recipe too? I like to make different varieties and need a few fresh ideas...

Sure, its seriously the best veg soup out there. Im always giving out this recipe and you could never make enough. Freezes very well.

Soup base:
1 lg onion
1 c barley
2 pack split pea soup mix
3 cubes garlic
salt and pepper

Veg mix:
4-6 carrots
1 sweet potato
1 zucchini
1 parsnip optional

in 8 qt pot saute onion, add barley and peas and seasoning. Fill pot 2/3 with water and cook 11/2 hr. Grate veg mix and add to base for addl hr.

Enjoy!

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 6:05 pm
amother wrote:
Food? Who needs food?
I'm so shaky and horrible I'll probably just have a drink and into bed.... A couple of nuts too if I'm lucky. I hope everyone else in this house will sort themselves out as I ain't cooking anything.

I also get very sick from fasting and by the time the fast is over have no energy to eat BUT it is so important to force yourself to drink and eat something. And especially keep taking sips of water, and some food!!

sweetpotato

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 6:39 pm
Am I the only one who isn't really making anything? My kids (all little) will be asleep (I hope) before the fast ends, so it's just me and DH. He just bought a loaf of rye bread and some avocados and I might make a tuna sandwich (and a milkshake). I'm nursing and a bad faster and I can't imagine having the strength to make a balebatish meal tonight, but I am really impressed and inspired by all of yours. Next year I'll have to cook ahead of time.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 6:53 pm
sweetpotato wrote:
Am I the only one who isn't really making anything? My kids (all little) will be asleep (I hope) before the fast ends, so it's just me and DH. He just bought a loaf of rye bread and some avocados and I might make a tuna sandwich (and a milkshake). I'm nursing and a bad faster and I can't imagine having the strength to make a balebatish meal tonight, but I am really impressed and inspired by all of yours. Next year I'll have to cook ahead of time.

No!!! You are probably in the majority. I used to spend my fast days baking and cooking up a storm. But in my old age(36), I just haven't the energy. I asked DH to buy fresh baguettes, danishes, eggs, tuna and cream cheese. I told the little ones to help themselves to cereal and Greek Yogurt. And if I'm up to it I'll cut up a salad. Maybe make a smoothie too. Based on experience once we drink and eat a little nobody has room for a full meal anyway

pause

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 7:40 pm
amother wrote:
Do u peel the squash?

I do, but you don't have to. It gets really soft anyway.

tichellady

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 7:42 pm
sweetpotato wrote:

Same here

debsey

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 7:47 pm
tichellady wrote:
Same here

I made a huge pot of veggie soup yesterday, so we have that.

Tradition soup (for me, I crave it after a fast, don't judge me) , a few different breads, a few different cheeses, some fruit juice blends, cream cheese, lox, ice cream, danishes

All bought.

I don't feel any pressure to cook anything (other than scrambled eggs for my little kids for their supper)

I have no koach after the fast and no interest in cooking on the fast.

I hope no one feels pressured or that she "should" cook. It's totally fine not to. No one will be going hungry by me even though I'm not touching a pot.

DREAMING

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 7:48 pm
Bread, scrambled eggs.
Maybe soup

pause

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 7:50 pm
sweetpotato wrote:

I didn't make a single thing today. whatever I'm serving besides the scrambled eggs and vegetable salad is from the freezer/fridge.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 7:51 pm
I made sure to make enough food yesterday, so tonight we'll have leftover soup, pasta and quiche. I made a fresh baked good because I love the smell that wafts through the house. Counting down the minutes now...

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 7:59 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Dh broke his fast in Shul on lots of watermelon and some cheese pastries. I made him tuna melts when he got home.
I had leftovers from the kids meals. And whatever fruits we had around. Enjoying a peppermint tea with honey right now before I go to bed.

I guess you're the lucky one . you live in Israel, I wish. I used to live there. But my dreams fell apart. One day I hope to move back.

rdmom

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 8:27 pm
Ended up making cheese cake.
Lukshen cheese kugel
Flounder and mashed potatoes and mushroom sauce.
Pizza bagels for the kids
Veggie matzo ball soup from yesterday.

And cake. Lots and lots of cake. All bought of course.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 8:44 pm
sweetpotato wrote:

I'm not even fasting due to pregnancy and I'm not up to making all these fancy foods. Especially when I do fast we like to keep it simple after a fast, Mac n cheese, bagels juice spreads etc.

eta- I ended up making eggs for dh, plus bagels spreads etc.

Last edited by dancingqueen on Tue, Aug 01 2017, 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

mushkale

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 8:47 pm
Squash celery soup
Tuna steak
Dinner rolls
Stir fry veggies

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 9:00 pm
Not really making anything.
Orange juice
Cookies (that dd 13 made today)
Leftover tomato basil tilapia with pasta from prefast
Leftover salad from prefast
Leftover bread from prefast

Leftover noodles and cheese from dinner for younger kids.
Maybe I'll steam some broccoli

I'm pregnant (half fasting - with shiurim per my ravs advice), sick (virus), and going into work right after the fast, so cutting myself some slack.

(Anon bc pregnancy is not yet public)

rachel0615

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 9:07 pm
Homemade bagels- recipe was going around and I decided to be adventurous.
Cream cheese and sliced tomatoes
left over tuna casserole
Iced coffee and coffee cake

Amother above me- you are amazing to be functioning with all that going on! Bshaa tovah!

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 9:20 pm
amother wrote:
Not really making anything.
Orange juice
Cookies (that dd 13 made today)
Leftover tomato basil tilapia with pasta from prefast
Leftover salad from prefast
Leftover bread from prefast

Leftover noodles and cheese from dinner for younger kids.
Maybe I'll steam some broccoli

I'm pregnant (half fasting - with shiurim per my ravs advice), sick (virus), and going into work right after the fast, so cutting myself some slack.

(Anon bc pregnancy is not yet public)

Sefardi?

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 9:31 pm
to previous poster. I'm fasting but at one point I thought I would be on antibiotics that should be taken with food- new pa told me to stop the antibiotics earlier-long story. When I asked the shailah about fasting my ashkenaz yesheivish rabbi said if possible to do shiurim. I was surprised but I guess it's not just a sfardi thing.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 9:33 pm
in terms of food. after a fast I can't really eat so much, I need to take it slow, especially when it's so late so we don't make big post fast meals...
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note