Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Smartphone Macht Frei?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 12:38 am
This man is sick in his head. Finally his shomrim cards were forbidden by his own rabbonim who gave him the hachsher. he came up with an even worse poster. He needs a Refuah Shlamoh bgif ivenefesh

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 12:40 am
That this Mr. Rabinovitch runs an anti-smartphone campaign bothers me not at all. That he chooses to use Holocaust imagery offends me down to my toes.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 12:47 am
amother wrote:
845 is Rockland county, home to Monsey New Square and Monroe. Although a cell phone can be anywhere.

I know that these anti smartphone cards (depicted with other horrible things as well) are heavily distributed in Monroe. To the point that a child thinks that his father, who has a smartphone, is going straight to gehennim.

crust

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 12:52 am
amother wrote:
This man is sick in his head. Finally his shomrim cards were forbidden by his own rabbonim who gave him the hachsher. he came up with an even worse poster. He needs a Refuah Shlamoh bgif ivenefesh

Were they? Haven't heard of that. Please share what you know if you don't mind.

Mevater

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 1:45 am
Fanaticism and comparisons like these "macht frei".

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 2:37 am
Words cannot describe how despicable this is!!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 6:28 am
I also agree that it's very nasty and appalling - and at the expense of the the Jews who suffered in the Holocaust.

But, I must say the metaphor of the words is brilliant!!

Again, I'm just referring to the words as brilliant, not the picture as a whole.
Anyone know the reasons for all the ambulances there? How does that fit in?

And I'm taking a guess that it's American based - the Yiddish used is American and not Israeli Yiddish. And not Yerushalmi Yiddish at all.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 7:34 am
amother wrote:
I also agree that it's very nasty and appalling - and at the expense of the the Jews who suffered in the Holocaust.

But, I must say the metaphor of the words is brilliant!!

Again, I'm just referring to the words as brilliant, not the picture as a whole.
Anyone know the reasons for all the ambulances there? How does that fit in?

And I'm taking a guess that it's American based - the Yiddish used is American and not Israeli Yiddish. And not Yerushalmi Yiddish at all.

Really? Brilliant? It's brilliant to make a play on the words of a concentration camp where hundreds of thousands of Jews were killed? It's brilliant to have the audacity to claim that YOU KNOW that people's souls are dead? I don't see the brilliance at all.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 7:35 am
amother wrote:
Please lets not go there. I know him personally from Israel. He is a naive person and he really doesn't realize what he is doing with those cards. Please lets not start with politics. Loshon hora is worse then a lot of aveiros out there.

Maybe someone should enlighten him as to how offensive this is....

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 8:29 am
eema of 3 wrote:
Really? Brilliant? It's brilliant to make a play on the words of a concentration camp where hundreds of thousands of Jews were killed? It's brilliant to have the audacity to claim that YOU KNOW that people's souls are dead? I don't see the brilliance at all.

I wrote that the play on the words was brilliant. And I still think so. Being a published writer myself for 2 decades b'H, any excellence in writing pops out at me automatically.

I specifically wrote that it's only the play on the words (the literary part) that I found brilliant, but I was appalled at the whole image metaphor. Disgusting. Nasty. Heartless.

It does not mean that b/c I found the wording amazing that I agree with the person who designed, posted the picture, and his horrendous means of getting his message across.
I don't agree with his ways at all!!!

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 12:12 pm
amother wrote:
I wrote that the play on the words was brilliant. And I still think so. Being a published writer myself for 2 decades b'H, any excellence in writing pops out at me automatically.

I specifically wrote that it's only the play on the words (the literary part) that I found brilliant, but I was appalled at the whole image metaphor. Disgusting. Nasty. Heartless.

It does not mean that b/c I found the wording amazing that I agree with the person who designed, posted the picture, and his horrendous means of getting his message across.

What a pity then that he is using his BRILLIANCE for such purposes. But I think this individual is mamash sick in the head.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 12:13 pm
Nope.

ora_43

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:

Brilliant, seriously?

He noticed that two words kinda sound alike. The average 6-year-old can do that.

Fortunately, the average 6-year-old is also already learning that some words can hurt people's feelings, and shouldn't be used in polite company. Hopefully someday this guy will figure that out, too.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 2:57 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Brilliant, seriously?

He noticed that two words kinda sound alike. The average 6-year-old can do that.

That what you think!
until I entered the writing field I used to think -what's the problem?
anyone can write a story. anyone can play around with words.
"jack and jill went up the hill" what's so difficult about writing?

as I went deeper into writing, I came to realize how difficult it is.

Readers read a story, feature ... in a few mins. they have no idea how much sweat and toil went into putting out that piece of writing.

Please note: I'm talking in general.

[I]No way,
do I condone or give right to that man for what he produced.

The opposite ... Twisted Evil

crust

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 3:44 pm
I think you took his message way more brilliant than it really is.
It didn't dawn up on me that he was using the Isreali version for the word Frei. Here, in the US we never use this word to explain OTD.

I thought his message was that being enslaved to your smartphone is the same as being enslaved in Aushwitz. Just like arbeit macht Frei was cynicism, so was he being cynical that having a smartphone will give you more freedom.
I guess I don't know yiddish that well. Smile

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 3:51 pm
crust wrote:
It didn't dawn up on me that he was using the Isreali version for the word Frei. Here, in the US we never use this word to explain OTD.

I thought his message was that being enslaved to your smartphone is the same as being enslaved in Aushwitz. Just like arbeit macht Frei was cynicism, so was he being cynical that having a smartphone will give you more freedom.

I live in little 'ol boro park all my life and frei equals not frum where I'm from.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 4:03 pm
crust wrote:

Frei is not the Israeli version of off the derech. Its yiddish. I never heard that phtase except for here on imamother Smile

crust

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 4:14 pm
I know what frei means. I just didn't hear it being used here. The people talking Rabinowitzs yiddish call OTD, Upgefuren. But for all I know, maybe he did mean the brilliant version.
I did not chap what the message is because I wasn't preoccupied dechepering the meaning of this. I couldn't care less.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 5:53 pm
This is the reason why these cards are forbidden in my house!
I even told my kids if they ever bring home these cards I will burn them.

MrsDash

Post Sun, Aug 13 2017, 6:03 pm
Naive or not, this is sickening. Cheapens the severity and importance of the holocaust.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics