Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Best milk substitute?

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 10:38 am
I'm trying to go off dairy for health reasons.
What's the best parve milk in taste?
I don't want to feel a diff in my coffee.

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 10:49 am
I like almond especially the califia farms brand.

smileyfaces

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 10:56 am
I don't mind almond milk in my coffee. You get used to the taste, it's not the same as milk but really not bad.

yehudis1056

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 10:57 am
I second califia farms almond milk. It's better in hot coffee as opposed to iced imo.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 11:28 am
I find the milk substitutes to be too thin for my coffee. Sad For other things I don't have a problem substituting.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 11:29 am
We use coconut milk

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 11:32 am
Thank you everybody!

Amber amother- why coconut over almond?
I'm trying to Learn the differences.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 11:36 am
amother wrote:
Thank you everybody!

Amber amother- why coconut over almond?
I'm trying to Learn the differences.

Taste, creamer, healthier

tf

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 11:46 am
Nothing comes close to whole milk. Don't think you won't feel a difference in taste of coffee. You can try to come close, though. Califia has half n half, combination of almond and coconut, which is delicious.

nylon

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 11:51 am
One issue with many pareve milks is that because they are lower in fat and protein, they don't give the same mouth feel as milk, especially if you add more than a splash. You may want to try the nondairy creamers as well. The coconut and almond ones go over best IME, like the Califia Better Half.

purpleonion

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 12:26 pm
Almond milk

myself

Post Tue, Aug 15 2017, 2:11 pm
There's no perfect 'like for like' substitute but I prefer rice milk to almond milk. In baked/cooked dishes it really makes no difference and they all work just fine.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 1:41 am
Coconut has a richer mouthfeel but the taste is noticeable.
Almond is lighter and also has a noticeable taste. (I noticed most places seem to add almond flavor, so I wonder if it's possible to get without.)
Rice milk is even lighter but the taste is very mild. It also has very little nutritional value.

The coconut/almond blend is probably the best. But watch for added sugar in whatever you get.

JalapeƱo

Post Wed, Aug 16 2017, 4:03 am
If you can find it, oat milk tends to be creamy, thicker, and have a unique (but imo great for coffee) flavor. A cafe near me makes oat milk lattes and they're fantastic.
I make my own if I can't find any around. You can do this for almond milk too, and its cheaper and creamier than store bought.

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 12:44 am
I like goldbaums almond breeze, unsweetened. Ive tried other brands but didnt like any of them. havent tried the brand that a few posters above mentioned.
rice milk is too thin, soy has a distinct taste, coconut milk is really heavy and has a very strong taste.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking