Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Whatsapp annoyances
1  2  Next

Reesa

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 5:18 pm
I text someone something really urgent, I see they read it, but they don't respond!
At least in the olden days we assumed the person didn't get our message yet!
Look how technology has made us more anxious. I have come to expect immediate responses, especially when it's very important or time sensitive.

Last edited by Reesa on Fri, Aug 18 2017, 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 5:31 pm
There could be any number of reasons why a person might not respond immediately:

A. your question or remark requires some thought and consideration rather than a snap knee-jerk response.

B. The person maybe in a situation such as a meeting, at which scanning a screen may not be obvious, but starting to type would be, and this would be seen as distracting, rude, or both.

C. What gave you the idea that just because you asked something or made a remark, you were entitled to this person's full attention at the drop of a hat? The person with whom you were communicating may have had other priorities at the time.

D. They just didn't feel like answering right at the moment. . And that's legitimate. chalishing avec for an answer on your part does not constitute an obligation on their part. I suggest, if the lack of immediate responses on WhatsApp is generating feelings of resentment, that you stop using this particular medium of communication and find another, slower method that will force you to plan ahead and not expect instantaneous responses.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 5:38 pm
Example B is me. Sometimes I scan a text quickly to see if it's urgent compared to the urgency of what's going on around me, and then need to put off answering until I have a minute alone.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 5:58 pm
What really bothers me if when I send a message and I never get a response or acknowledgement, ever. I'm talking about people that I regularly communicate with via text/watsapp, they just selectively respond. I find it so inconsiderate, and I really make an effort to respond to messages or emails, even if it's no longer relevant or not the answer they would like.

nicole81

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 5:59 pm
If it's so urgent, take the extra step to call.

Personally, I prefer to not be on call every second of my life. I oftentimes scan my messages and put my phone down. I usually respond hours, and sometimes even days later. Life is so demanding these days, and I'm already pulled in a million different directions between my job and family. Plus, there's "me" time. I prefer not to be pulled in more directions and/or have my attention diverted from what's most important to me for other people's need for instant gratification.

Most people don't call each other much anymore, so I know when someone does call, it's important and I usually pick up.

bamba

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 6:03 pm
first turn on the privacy setting on your whatsapp so you can't see when the other person read your message and vv.
this happens to me too. Could be my child has my phone when the message comes in. He clicks on it and then instantly closes whatsapp and I don't realise till a few days later that I've missed a message. Or with different time zones I see it when I wake up or when I'm half asleep and then forget to message back later.
Or when I'm just busy! I'm in the middle of making supper and I just forget.
If it's been a day or two and it's something that needs an answer either call or message again.. just wondering if you read my message etc.

Reesa

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 6:37 pm
I agree that the selective answering in not nice. Obviously it depends who it is and what kind of relationship you have. When it's a good friend to whom you answer every text, you expect a response, not necessarily immediately. When people completely ignore certain messages it gives off a snobby feel. Yes I know sometimes it's unintentional, but those of you who have experienced this know what I mean.

Reesa

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 6:40 pm
Ftr, I startes this thread in the interesting discussion forum to discuss how this has negatively impacted our society. I agree that my expectations of immediate response to my texts are not justified but it has unfortunately become a new annoyance in those of our lives who regularly communicate this way.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 6:46 pm
Sometimes the text pops up with the words across the screen and it registers as read but the person never actually read it.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 7:55 pm
If it's really that important, pick up a the phone & call the old fashioned way. You can't expect people to reply right away, it's not always possible.
Amother Ivory, a text only registers as read if the person actually opened WhatsApp & read it.

giselle

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 9:35 pm
I sometimes completely forget to respond to ppl. Have a lot on my mind... nothing personal to anyone..

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 9:55 pm
Lots of us are suffering from information overload. I have text, email, whatsapp, facebook, messenger, groups, Google hangout etc on my phone.

I have multiple people contacting me in mutiple ways throughout the day. I simply can't keep track of it all. Aside from that I work full time and have a family. It's just too many stimuli at once.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:08 pm
a) if it's time sensitive, pick up the phone and call

b) no one is obligated to pick up just because you call or respond just because they saw your text

c) ask yourself - is it independently time sensitive or did you just leave it to the last minute? I don't let other people's irresponsibility become my emergency, on principle.

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:36 pm
I'm always amused by people who gripe "I called you X times over the past week (or day, or hour, or fifteen minutes) and couldn't get through to you." Did you leave a message on my machine? Well, no. Ah. And how, precisely, was I to know you called me? Had you left a coherent message, I could have called you back. Choosing not to leave a message is the equivalent of not calling me. And calling me five times in fifteen minutes does not constitute calling me five times. It constitutes calling me once with five times the annoyance value of a normal call. I am NOT getting out of the shower or bed, whether I am there alone or with company, to answer the phone even if I know it's you, which I don't.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:40 pm
[quote="zaq"]I'm always amused by people who gripe "I called you X times over the past week (or day, or hour, or fifteen minutes) and couldn't get through to you." Did you leave a message on my machine? Well, no. Ah. And how, precisely, was I to know you called me? Had you left a coherent message, I could have called you back. Choosing not to leave a message is the equivalent of not calling me. And calling me five times in fifteen minutes does not constitute calling me five times. It constitutes calling me once with five times the annoyance value of a normal call. I am NOT getting out of the shower or bed, whether I am there alone or with company, to answer the phone even if I know it's you, which I don't.[/quote
^This

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Aug 17 2017, 10:55 pm
Reesa wrote:
I text someone something really urgent, I see they read it, but they don't respond!
Look how technology has made us more anxious. I expect immediate responses, especially when it's very important or time sensitive.
[u]

So do you think overall technology has made us more anxious, or in this one instance it caused you anxiety?

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 2:15 am
Many times my kids play with my phone and then at the end Of the day I see many messsages that I missed and many times my kids don't realize they click on whatsapp so it comes up as read.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 3:12 am
Reesa wrote:

In the olden days we sent the footman with a letter, enclosed in two envelopes so that the mud in the roads wouldn't soil the inner one.

momsrus

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 5:02 am
bamba wrote:
first turn on the privacy setting on your whatsapp so you can't see when the other person read your message and vv.
this happens to me too. Could be my child has my phone when the message comes in. He clicks on it and then instantly closes whatsapp and I don't realise till a few days later that I've missed a message. Or with different time zones I see it when I wake up or when I'm half asleep and then forget to message back later.
Or when I'm just busy! I'm in the middle of making supper and I just forget.
If it's been a day or two and it's something that needs an answer either call or message again.. just wondering if you read my message etc.

The privacy setting will take away when last seen. You can still see if the person read your message.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 6:31 am
I can't believe this!

I came onto ima mother now to get a recipe but 5 minutes ago I was googling how to make myself incognito in what's app. I come on here and I see this thread!

I'm hosting a whole shabbos for my fam - sibs who live out of town came in , still trickling in.
Have one sib who hasn't arrived yet, who is what's apping me till I want to take my phone and throw it across the room!
EVERYTHING is urgent for her!!!!
I am so busy getting it all organized, cooking, baking, making accommodation arrangements, dealing with a SN child, working on a shiddich for another child, um going to the bathroom, shock
and if I don't answer her right away she texts - y didn't u answer me????

So if I put in my privacy settings that I cannot be seen when I was on the last time - it works both ways. But I can't do it just for one contact? It's all or nothing righT?

In general, just b/c something is 'urgent'
For one person, doesn't mean it's urgent for the recipient. We all need to chill.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics