Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Ichud vs Tiferes Miriam school
1  2  3  Next

chestnut

Post Mon, Aug 21 2017, 9:55 pm
How did you decide between them for your daughter?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 12:43 am
Whichever one will take your child.
Depends on child's issues.
I prefer Ichud.

chestnut

Post Tue, Aug 22 2017, 11:38 am
Do they take kids with different problems? Why do you like Ichud over TM? Do you mind messaging me?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 10:45 am
If I message you I'd be outing my sn.
It really depends on your child's issues.
Would you tell us a bit about her difficulties in regular ed? What's not working for her? What does she need?

chestnut

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 12:14 pm
My understanding was that both work with kids with learning disabilities. What issues are there that one of them deals with and the other - doesn't?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 12:55 pm
Ichud might be a better choice for your dd.
Can you visit both places ? I think visiting in person will give you a feel for things.
How old is your dd?
Are there behavioral issues as well?
Does she have sensory issues as in easily being overloaded with sensory input?

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 1:37 pm
amother wrote:
Ichud might be a better choice for your dd.
Can you visit both places ? I think visiting in person will give you a feel for things.
How old is your dd?
Are there behavioral issues as well?
Does she have sensory issues as in easily being overloaded with sensory input?

I would suggest going down in person to each place to get a feel. The atmosphere is very different in each.

chestnut

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 4:55 pm
I'd like her to start it right in the beginning of this year (yes, I'm in touch with both places now), so visiting when school is in operation won't work... My daughter is going into 7th grade. No behavioral issues besides frustration when can't do hw or study for the test. No sensory issues.

Teal amother - can you please expand on different atmosphere at each place?

Pumpkin amother - can you tell why you think Ichud is a better fit?

play doe

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 5:07 pm
If your daughter doesn't struggle socially or is strong in some academic areas, Ichud offers opportunity for mainstreaming for some classes while TM does not.

Ichud functions more like a regular school while TM is more fun than regular school​.

chestnut

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 5:54 pm
Play doe, how is TM more fun than a regular school? What do u mean by struggling socially - making friends and being "in"

play doe

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 6:22 pm
Ask TM about their curriculum, and you'll hear how it's more fun than regular school.

Realize that in TM your daughter's school friends will all be from that school whereas in Ichud she can be friends not only with the girls in her class, but also the girls in the mainstream classes, if she has decent social skills.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 7:13 pm
If your dd is behaviorally ok I think ichud is a better choice.

devorah1231

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 10:30 pm
Haven't sent a child, but heard lots of good things about TM and saw Ichud. If I had to pick, I'd send for 7th and maybe 8th to TM and if things improved mainstream for high school. I think teachers in TM are better and the students get more attention.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 10:40 pm
Has your dd voiced a preference?

I applied to Ichud, they declined my dd because of behavioral issues.

You can start in one, and if dd is truly unhappy you can try to switch.

TM has the behavioral girls. My dd didn't learn much there, and felt understimulated. She didn't get the educational / academic support she was mandated by the D.O.E.

nicole81

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 11:07 pm
I visited TM and liked the school, however they don't offer related services and that's an issue for me.

I think integration is super important if your child can handle it so I would recommend ichud just for that, if all other things are considered equal.

chestnut

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 11:36 pm
Pumpkin amother - can you please specify what kind of behavioral problems girls in TM have?

chestnut

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 11:41 pm
Good ideas about possible switching later on. My daughter doesn't have any preference; it's all very new to us.

Nicole - true about support services. My daughter needs speech therapy which isn't offered. I'd have to use my insurance for that, but they let only 19 sessions per year.

I'm torn about the integration. I thought it was great and a plus, but who knows how a girl might feel being from "that" class in a regular school. As nice as the regular girls might be. Especially if the girl is already feeling inadequate because of her academics

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 11:42 pm
Is public school an option?
There's so much less stigma there.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 11:43 pm
Behavior problems run the gamut. All sorts.

chestnut

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 11:44 pm
No, ps isn't an option. Leaving her in her regular school is an option. I'm very torn, if you can tell
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)