Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Ichud vs Tiferes Miriam school
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 11:46 pm
Yes, I can tell. Do you have people irl you can discuss this with?

chestnut

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 11:46 pm
I'm not very familiar with the topic, can u Please expand on the behavioral issues? Like hyperactive? On the spectrum? Borderline disorder?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 11:47 pm
Does the current school have an opinion?

chestnut

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 11:47 pm
Yes. I've discussed it with at least 10 Ppl (half of them are professionals) and am still unsure.
The current school has no idea I'm even considering switching her. Never said a word to me about it

Last edited by chestnut on Wed, Aug 23 2017, 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 11:48 pm
chestnut wrote:
I'm not very familiar with the topic, can u Please expand on the behavioral issues? Like hyperactive? On the spectrum? Borderline disorder?

Immodest language, "Chutzpa", disturbing class, destroying property,

chestnut

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 11:49 pm
Oops, I see. Tjanks

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 11:49 pm
chestnut wrote:
Yes. I've discussed it with at least 10 Ppl (half of them are professionals) and am still unsure.
The current school has no idea I'm even considering switching her. Never said a word to me about it

They sent their kids to either school?
Have you spoken to kids from both places? Get their opinions, thoughts, experiences.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 11:50 pm
Four-letter words, talk about topics that are taboo.....

nicole81

Post Wed, Aug 23 2017, 11:52 pm
chestnut wrote:
Good ideas about possible switching later on. My daughter doesn't have any preference; it's all very new to us.

Nicole - true about support services. My daughter needs speech therapy which isn't offered. I'd have to use my insurance for that, but they let only 19 sessions per year.

I'm torn about the integration. I thought it was great and a plus, but who knows how a girl might feel being from "that" class in a regular school. As nice as the regular girls might be. Especially if the girl is already feeling inadequate because of her academics

I sent my dd to YESS for JHS, and she goes to integrated summer camps. I can say that she loves it and makes tons of friends in the mainstream school and camp. She's going into 7th grade and she's already talking about which integrated high school program she's aspiring to be part of. Every child and setting is different, but in our experience, we've found that the places that offer special education inclusion also breed a very accepting culture within their mainstream divisions.

RAGS123abc

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 2:42 pm
amother wrote:
Immodest language, "Chutzpa", disturbing class, destroying property,

I'm not sure when you had this experience, but I teach in T.M. now and have seen none of these issues. The clientele has changed drastically over the past 5 years, as has the curriculum - the school developed a regents curriculum and most of the girls there just need extra help to succeed. It is a very warm environment and the girls are generally very nice kids.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 3:43 pm
RAGS123abc wrote:
I'm not sure when you had this experience, but I teach in T.M. now and have seen none of these issues. The clientele has changed drastically over the past 5 years, as has the curriculum - the school developed a regents curriculum and most of the girls there just need extra help to succeed. It is a very warm environment and the girls are generally very nice kids.

My dd had this experience at TM. Glad to hear iits changed. So where do the behavioral girls go now that TM has cleaned up its clientele ?

chestnut

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 4:23 pm
Pumpkin, your daughter switched to ichud and liked it better?

RAGS123abc

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 7:01 pm
amother wrote:
My dd had this experience at TM. Glad to hear iits changed. So where do the behavioral girls go now that TM has cleaned up its clientele ?

I'm not sure - nefesh? ivdu? shalsheles?

But they are not accepted by us - I really enjoy teaching there and my classes have been very enjoyable to teach.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 7:09 pm
chestnut wrote:
Pumpkin, your daughter switched to ichud and liked it better?

Ichud declined my dd because of behavioral issues. My dd was kicked out by TM and she lost interest in school after that.

chestnut

Post Thu, Aug 24 2017, 7:34 pm
I'm sorry, Pumpkin Sad it must have been hard for you and your daughter

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 1:53 am
My dd wanted to excel academically, yet needed support. TM did not provide the support she needed. In hindsight, dd might have done better remaining in regular Ed with a shadow.

It depends what level of support your dd needs.

chestnut

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 8:11 am
My daughter needs academic support, learning at her pace, with as few others as possible. She does wonderfully one on one. She also needs to work on executive functioning skills and school skills (note taking, test studying, etc)

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 8:54 am
chestnut wrote:
My daughter needs academic support, learning at her pace, with as few others as possible. She does wonderfully one on one. She also needs to work on executive functioning skills and school skills (note taking, test studying, etc)

Is a shadow in regular ed an option?
In TM my dd didn't have one on one so it didn't work out for her. Her frustration led to behavioral.

chestnut

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 10:37 am
I never thought of a shadow cause isn't it for more severe cases? Who's usually eligible for it? Is it also thru DOE IEP?
Right, I know they don't do one on one, but they usually have 4-5 kids per teacher for math and English (teacher and an assistant, max 10 kids in class). They are also much more experienced than P3s in our (most?) school, so can make sure each girl learns on her level. And in our school, it's 8 girls with one P3 for math.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Aug 25 2017, 6:45 pm
4-5 kids per teacher- is that special ed or what? Resource room?
What arrangement has your dd had til now, and what is prompting you to shuffle things around?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)