Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Homeschooling and college application

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Sep 09 2017, 11:16 pm
Has anyone reached the college application process yet? What do you do for an "official" transcript. And if one wants to do early admissions, because they are ready for it and have pretty much finished what would be covered in 4 years in 3 years, do you do early admissions or just apply as a regular incoming student.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Sep 09 2017, 11:20 pm
College might seem expensive after home schooling

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Sep 09 2017, 11:25 pm
I would speak with the admissions office. Be courteous and they'll guide you. They welcome these questions.

Pita

Post Sat, Sep 09 2017, 11:31 pm
I second speaking with the admissions office. There are so many homeschoolers now that they usually have some guidelines. I was homeschooled before it was common, and when I went to college 25 years ago the state university I attended also had guidelines, but they did not apply to transfer students. I had already taken a few credit classes at a junior college just for fun. So I took a couple more classes and then transferred in as a sophomore.

But each university has its own rules, and they may change.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Sep 09 2017, 11:38 pm
amother wrote:

What does this have to do with anything??? Dont know

sprayonlove

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 5:54 am
Pita wrote:
I second speaking with the admissions office. There are so many homeschoolers now that they usually have some guidelines. I was homeschooled before it was common, and when I went to college 25 years ago the state university I attended also had guidelines, but they did not apply to transfer students. I had already taken a few credit classes at a junior college just for fun. So I took a couple more classes and then transferred in as a sophomore.

But each university has its own rules, and they may change.

That's an excellent idea

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 5:58 am
amother wrote:

Maybe OP homeschooled so she would be able to afford college.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 9:04 pm
DrMom wrote:
Maybe OP homeschooled so she would be able to afford college.

College would is expensive even if one does not homeschool and we all know homeschool is not as cheap as you think!

Thanks for the ideas about contacting the Universities unless dd does 2 years of community college and then transfers in they want some form of transcript. Maybe I need to reach out to a professional company.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 9:12 pm
Sometimes they will guide you in how you can do your own homeschooling transcript.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 10:00 pm
I have several friends whose children went off to college after being home schooled. They used their yearly academic plans to outline each years transcript. (This is easier if you are using someone's curriculum.) The academic plan should have covered all of your states benchmarks for HS completion as well as materials covered. This is easiest if you've kept records year by year.

If you've homeschooled without an academic plan you need to go over your students HS academics course by course and write the materials covered and what tool you used to measure proficiency. You will also need to know your states graduation requirements so that you can show that your child completed the minimum.(I.e. 4 years math, 3 years English etc.) Don't forget any work experience, internships or volunteer work that can relate to specific coursework. Also be aware of how your state translates course work into credits applied towards graduation.

I've helped friends do this and we've made a simple spreadsheet for each year. They fill in the data as the coursework is completed. When HS is done the data is transferred to a transcript template.

Many colleges also require portfolios instead or in addition to a home school transcript for nontraditional HS students. You will need to do some research.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling