Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Elegant sukkah decorations?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 7:35 pm
Hi all,

Any ideas for either DIY or store bought decorations for a sukkah? We usually do the typical tinsell-y decorations they sell in the stores..the chains and all that. But I would love to do something that's A)more elegant B) reusable and C)more unique

Any ideas/inspiration would be appreciated. Tried looking on pinterest, but couldn't find much.

TIA!

loveit

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 8:04 pm
Following

cm

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 8:04 pm
If you want a more sophisticated version of the usual seasonal decor, you can get very nice realistic fake fruit, vegetables and flowers/greenery from major craft stores. They typically have beautiful ready-made garlands which you can hang along upright or horizontal beams or poles. While they are not intended for outdoor use, with proper care they can last for years.

I have rarely seen truly elegant "sukkah posters," but you can make your own. Any kind of artwork can be laminated. Photos are great for this.

Depending on the size of your sukkah and the ages of your children, you can do interesting things with candles: floating, pillars or tea lights. Or, you could use electric tea lights to highlight your plants or other decor safely.

A decent tablecloth makes a big difference, whether wipe-clean (much more practical) or microfiber cloth (much more laundry). Set the table with china or "nice" disposables.

I hope this helps, and happy decorating!

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 8:30 pm
cm wrote:
If you want a more sophisticated version of the usual seasonal decor, you can get very nice realistic fake fruit, vegetables and flowers/greenery from major craft stores. They typically have beautiful ready-made garlands which you can hang along upright or horizontal beams or poles. While they are not intended for outdoor use, with proper care they can last for years.

I have rarely seen truly elegant "sukkah posters," but you can make your own. Any kind of artwork can be laminated. Photos are great for this.

Depending on the size of your sukkah and the ages of your children, you can do interesting things with candles: floating, pillars or tea lights. Or, you could use electric tea lights to highlight your plants or other decor safely.

A decent tablecloth makes a big difference, whether wipe-clean (much more practical) or microfiber cloth (much more laundry). Set the table with china or "nice" disposables.

I have seen gorgeous silk screened sukkah artwork. They do it on widow shade rollers. The works are truly stunning and priced commensurately. DH looked into them, and they are in the 5 figures.

They sell very elegant xmas decorations. Some are suitable for this purpose.

yogabird

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 8:32 pm
Grape garlands strung across the schach, flower pomanders, laminated copies of paintings as posters on the wall.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 8:55 pm
cm wrote:

Will look into the fakr fruit idea..they sell them in the jewish stores by me but they're a fortune! Will definitely see if I can get them at a better price.

Thanks!!

cm

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:02 pm
amother wrote:
Will look into the fakr fruit idea..they sell them in the jewish stores by me but they're a fortune! Will definitely see if I can get them at a better price.

Thanks!!

Be sure to look for coupons before you shop. The big craft chains routinely have coupons or sales, so don't be dismayed by the price tags. Also consider buying only a few high-quality items each year.

jayjays

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 9:42 pm
Elegant decor can be glass globes hanging from ceiling with flowers in them. These were very popular last year.

SingALong

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:19 pm
I bought a bunch of different types of fake greenery from Michaels. They came in chains and I strung it around in various patterns. I also took fake flowers, put 1 each into these plastic balls that cut in half and you can snap back into place. Hung those up dangling from the ceiling, looked like floating flowers. I also bought these flower balls, I think I stuck to 2 colors only. Succah looked like a garden! Best thing was that these are all reusable, I take it out the year after and use again!

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Sep 10 2017, 11:32 pm
amother wrote:
Hi all,

Any ideas for either DIY or store bought decorations for a sukkah? We usually do the typical tinsell-y decorations they sell in the stores..the chains and all that. But I would love to do something that's A)more elegant B) reusable and C)more unique

Any ideas/inspiration would be appreciated. Tried looking on pinterest, but couldn't find much.

TIA!

Growing up we used an extra heavy duty (no disposable) clear tablecloth to draw a beautiful mosaic piece with black permanent marker then filled in all the parts with different colors like a stained glass mosaic. Really beautiful and still around for use decades later. We would tack down tinsel all the way around the huge 'poster'. It look up most of the main sukkah wall.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 2:59 am
Go to Marshalls or TJMax and look for fancy curtains. My mother bought a heavy dark green one with long fringes that was to heavy and dark for the room it was meant for, but it adds a majestic feel to our sukkah and blocks bright morning light for those who sleep there.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 8:51 am
Velvet fabric for the walls in any color, fake floral ball roses to hang from the ceiling, white string lights to hang on the wall, a morrocan lantern to hang in the middle.. so many options

sitting

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 4:00 am
Into the glasa hanging globes you can put orbees...looks very effective.
Also you can make yarn globes around a balloon. Only need yarn glue and balloons. Nice activity with the kids too!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics