Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What did I do? Terrible rash on a baby's bottom!
1  2  Next

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 6:13 am
My baby is 11 months old and we are away for the yom tovim so I'm a bit stuck and lost with what to do.

I kept hearing that cooked honey is ok and so I figure that giving him a piece of honey cake was fine. This was late Friday. He was cranky at night and then woke up shabbos morning with a very red rash. He kept having diary and We didn't have cream so I kept trying to change him frequently. he fell asleep before shabbos was over so I figured we'll wait until morning to get cream. (He didn't sleep well and I regretted this.) started reading online about honey and botulism but that seems to come with constipation so I really don't think it's that. Yesterday we went out to by balmex and I've been putting tons on him. It got slightly better but today still very red and he's so so cranky. He even shakes when I wipe him. Plus still having diarrhea. (I've been giving him lots to drink). Also he still nurses a few times a day so I took him off yogurt and mainly nurses now and eating bread. Last night he ate veg soup.

His bottom is still very very red! What did I do to him? He was completely fine! Sad

ETA: he also has a runny nose and the diarrhea has lots of mucus in it (sorry for tmi)

cinnamon

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 6:22 am
It might not have anything to do with the honey. Sounds like a virus and the rash is from the diarrhea.
I would just continue changing him frequently and shmear a lot of cream every time (I found desitin works really well) If you don't see any improvement a day or two after the diarrhea is over take him to the doctor - it might be a fungal infection which will need a prescription cream.

justforfun87

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 6:24 am
Rashes happen and it may be unrelated but don't use wipes. Wipes are irritants to bad rashes. If possible just squirt water from a water bottle to rinse off bottom and air dry or blot very lightly.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 6:43 am
Op here :

He made again and I stuck him in the tub to wash off. He was shaking and crying from the warm water and then after letting him dry, I noticed he had tiny spots that the skin is broken or eaten away? I'm not sure how to describe. Very tiny spots. Oh no! This is getting worse!

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 6:51 am
That sounds like a fungal infection. Get him to a Dr. So he could get an antifungal cream.

solo

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 6:51 am
Sounds like it's fungal. U need an rx for an antifungal diaper rash. Which probably means a trip to dr. Refuah shleimah

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 7:13 am
Start off with clean skin. Give her a bath and make sure she is clean. (Don't use much baby soap on the direct area, just let her soak in a bath. Use baking soda in the tub if she needs soothing relief and wash down the rest of her body with baby soap.)
Now smear clotrimazole cream lightly over raw areas. Top with heavy hand of triple paste. Seal it all in with pure cornstarch (like from your kitchen). Put her to bed and by morning it should start looking better.
Repeat the layers of cream and powder with every diaper change, but use the clotrimazole part only 3 times a day. And make sure she is getting a bath each night and layering her up right after for bedtime because that is when the real healing happens.
Hug

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 7:30 am
My dr treats those real bad rashes like a burn- with silverdean!! (Sp)

It helps

imasoftov

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 7:36 am
amother wrote:
My dr treats those real bad rashes like a burn- with silverdean!! (Sp)

Silvadene (silver sulfadiazine) is a prescription drug. But I'm sure you weren't suggesting that anyone use prescription drugs without consulting a doctor.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 7:53 am
Try cornstarch it does wonders!

simcha2

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 7:56 am
Just to relieve your guilt, the reason not to give honey is because there is a (tiny) chance of infant botulism from the honey. The first symptom of which is constipation, not diarrhoea.

Try to keep the diaper off as much as possible and hope he feels better soon.

octopus

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 8:55 am
imasoftov wrote:
Silvadene (silver sulfadiazine) is a prescription drug. But I'm sure you weren't suggesting that anyone use prescription drugs without consulting a doctor.

She said her dr prescribes that for diaper rash. It didn't sound like she was suggesting using it without a consultation. My old ped used to prescribe that too and it worked like a miracle, but it was together with an anti-fungal. And yes this rash sounds like it's fungal.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 9:10 am
DO NOT use cornstarch if this is a fungal infection. The starch is actually food for the organism, and will intensify the infection. Give warm baths and make sure the skin is COMPLETELY dry before applying any creams.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 9:10 am
My son used to get very bad rashes, diahrreah, bloody. It took us a few months to realize it happens every time he eats bananas. He's a preteen today and still can't have them. So think if he's eating a different food, or if you're in a place with hard water now and he's not used to it....
Good luck!

tweety1

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 9:13 am
A few yrs ago I had an 8 month old who are honey maccaroons. I figured one or 2 wouldnt be a problem. Problems started when he got a hold of the container and ate abt 10 for sure. Abt 3 hrs later he started vomiting abnormally. Of course I freaked out and called Hatzolah who rushed him to the er. He kept on vomiting the entire time even as I was walking in to the er. It was very scary to say the least.
To make a long story short Dr's there were saying that today's days in age botulism from the regular honey we eat and use is almost impossible because of the process it goes through till it reaches our table. Botulism is mainly for raw honey. Abt 2 months later at his well visit I discussed it with my pediatrician and he said had I call him first he wouldn't send me into the er for the same reason.
Anyway and the vomiting? They claim was a sensitivity to the coconut and he kept on vomiting toll he got every piece of coconut out of his body. Which made sense to me. Cuz as soon as he stopped vomiting he was back to his old self.

miami85

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 9:35 am
For a fungal rash--if its red and raised bumps-- you can get OTC Clotrimazole/ Lotramin AF.

Often it will happen with diarrhea. I find that it can be a sign of something irritated the stomach--discovered that some of my kids were sensitive to lactose like that at around 1-1.5 yrs b/c the undigested lactose and consequently stomach acid would eat away at the sensitive skin. We've been through this a lot!

To calm down the rash fast we've been told you can mix a tube (or dollop) of hydrocorisone and Aquafor 1:1 and use 1-2 times a day only as long as necessary, otherwise use the clotrimazole at every diaper change.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 9:58 am
octopus wrote:
She said her dr prescribes that for diaper rash. It didn't sound like she was suggesting using it without a consultation. My old ped used to prescribe that too and it worked like a miracle, but it was together with an anti-fungal. And yes this rash sounds like it's fungal.

Thank you.
We're all adults here.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 10:55 am
Interesting that some posters mentioned food sensitivity bec he's been having diarrhea for over two months and we've tested his stool for bacteria but came up negative. So I wonder. I see baby jars give him diarrhea so I stopped those. Most recently - about two weeks, I started him on yogurt.

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 11:07 am
My baby is very prone to terrible diaper rashes. The only cream that works, and it works wonders is Silvergel:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001.....;sr=1

lech lecha08

Post Mon, Sep 11 2017, 10:52 pm
What else was in the cake? One of my kids had that reaction from eating a hardboiled egg and that's how we discovered she was allergic.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics