Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
CHEESY LASAGNA POCKETS

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 9:57 pm
CHEESY LASAGNA POCKETS

A breeze with store bought pizza dough unless you’re feeling ambitious. Make up a bunch - store in freezer - instant snack or meal supplemented with a nice green salad.

Excerpt From: Polly Conner & Rachel Tiemeyer. “From Freezer to Table.

What are Lasagna Pockets, you ask? Well, imagine if a pizza pocket and a lasagna made a baby. This is one of the most requested meals by my kids. I literally have to put a cap on how many they can eat at dinner. These also make for a delicious lunch the next day. I even send them warm and wrapped in foil in my children’s lunch boxes, along with some dipping sauce.

This recipe is fairly time intensive if you make the dough and sauce from scratch, so it may not be a good pick for a Freezer Party or Freezer Club. But you’ll want to double the recipe and save all of these for yourself anyway! It’s so easy to pull a pocket out of the freezer, warm it up, and go. One shortcut you can take it is to buy a large premade pizza dough ball at your favorite pizzeria in place of the homemade dough. You can also use your favorite all-natural, organic pizza sauce to save time. —RACHEL

Yield: 8 pockets

1 container (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1½ cups grated mozzarella cheese
3 large eggs, divided
¼ cup minced fresh parsley
½ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed in hand
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
Whole Wheat Pizza dough
Pizza Sauce, for dipping

1. Adjust the oven racks so both are equidistant from the top and bottom. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line 2 sheet pans with foil or parchment paper.

2. In a medium bowl, stir together the ricotta, Parmesan, mozzarella, 2 of the eggs, the parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Set aside.

3. On a well-floured surface, roll the dough into a round disk shape. Divide it into 8 equal parts, cutting it like a pizza. Use your hands to shape each section into a ball. Then, using a floured rolling pin, roll each ball out into a very thin circle (less than ⅛" thick).

4. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of filling onto half of each dough circle, leaving a little room around the edges. (Do not overfill or the pocket will split open while baking.) Fold the dough in half over the filling and press the edges tightly to seal. Use the back of a fork to make sure it’s sealed well. Then use the fork to poke a few holes in the top of each pocket. Carefully transfer to the sheet pans, making sure to leave a little room between the pockets.

5. In a small bowl, beat the remaining egg and a splash of water. Brush the surface of each pocket with the egg wash.

6. Place both sheet pans in the oven and bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Be sure to switch the pans from top to bottom and turn from front to back halfway through the baking time to ensure even baking. (Freezing instructions begin here.) Serve with warm pizza sauce for dipping.

Freezer Meal Instructions

TO FREEZE: Bake according to recipe instructions. Let pockets cool completely. Place in an airtight freezer bag or container in single layers, using parchment paper between layers. Freeze.

TO PREPARE FROM FROZEN: Wrap a frozen pocket in a moist paper towel. Microwave on the defrost setting until warmed through. Serve with warm pizza sauce for dipping.

Cooking Notes

To include more vegetables, add 1 to 2 teaspoons of chopped baby spinach or chopped, sautéed bell peppers on top of the filling in each pocket before closing.

octopus

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 9:59 pm
I had to open this. It sounded so appetizing and appealing. Thanks for sharing!

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 10:10 pm
It's a nice little cookbook because all of the dishes can be frozen and she gives instructions on best way to freeze and cook from frozen state.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 10:46 pm
Curious what the lasagna part is, and how this is different than a calzone?

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 10:52 pm
It could be called a calzone of course but the filling with the ricotta, mozzarella, eggs etc. is most specifically like the cheesy part of lasagna whereas calzones typically have a different type of filling - but call if calzone if you like as the name was just made up by the cookbook authoress.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Sep 13 2017, 11:06 pm
Ah ok, I saw lasagna and thought there were noodles inside the dough 😁😶
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals