Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Slow cooker for Shabbat following 2 day yom tov

EmpireState

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 9:43 am
I would like to prepare chulent for the Shabbat after Rosh Hashana. I will not be using my slow cooker (manual) for any yom tov meals. I'm curious what others do in this situation. Do you leave your slow cooker on for the two days without food in it? Or do you recommend buying a 7 day programmable timer? A 24 hour timer would be useless in this situation.... TIA

5mom

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 9:59 am
You can fill the crock pot with water for the first two days and just leave it on. You can also warm soup or meatballs or any dish with some liquid.

EmpireState

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 10:06 am
5mom wrote:
You can fill the crock pot with water for the first two days and just leave it on. You can also warm soup or meatballs or any dish with some liquid.

Great idea! Thanks... Shabbat Shalom.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 11:29 am
5mom wrote:

This. Or just have the device on but the crock not inserted until you need it.

EmpireState

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 1:59 pm
ra_mom wrote:
This. Or just have the device on but the crock not inserted until you need it.

Thanks! I love how both suggestions were so simple..

Optione

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 5:27 pm
We use a $12 7- day timer

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 5:59 pm
Optione wrote:
We use a $12 7- day timer

You must be a wiz to be able to use it. Tongue Out
We bought one a few years ago and the pieces were so tiny we were never able to set it to exactly the right times to turn on and off.

iammom

Post Fri, Sep 15 2017, 6:31 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We bought one a few years ago and the pieces were so tiny we were never able to set it to exactly the right times to turn on and off.

They have electronic ones with digital displays that are simple to use (at least I think so 🙂 My husband set it).

mamaleh

Post Sat, Sep 16 2017, 9:23 pm
when Yom Tov falls out like this I generally do not leave on a burner. I leave on my crockpot and use it to heat food for all of the meals. I do not use the insert. One saucy food (meatballs,etc) goes in a taller round disposable pan into the base then I put a cookie sheet over the top and use that as my blech for everything else. 2 disclaimers: 1. this only works if your food is all cooked before YT and you are just heating it up. 2. I don't know if this would work if you serve soup for second night ( I don't and I'm not sure how long it would take to heat).

We do not use timers for anything besides lights, otherwise the 7 day timer would be a great idea- be careful, though, with the digital ones. If you have a power surge or a momentary blackout, you could lose the timing and the crock pot won't go on.

Tech_mom

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:34 pm
do you know which timer you have? I am trying to figure out if I need to buy a "heavy duty" version or not. I see these two on amazon:

Century Heavy Duty timer (this one is heavy duty but only has 8 on off settings)

Woods 7 day timer (this one isn't listed as heavy duty but has 20 settings)

momo6

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:37 pm
I have the first one that you listed. Had it for a few years and no issues.

Tech_mom wrote:
do you know which timer you have? I am trying to figure out if I need to buy a "heavy duty" version or not. I see these two on amazon:

Century Heavy Duty timer (this one is heavy duty but only has 8 on off settings)

Woods 7 day timer (this one isn't listed as heavy duty but has 20 settings)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 5:03 pm
If you hold that you can remove timer pins on YT... I end up putting my crockpot on my regular timer. I left the insert out of the heating element. Each day it went on and off after a few hours. On Friday I pulled out the off pin after it went on so it would stay on for shabbos (I had a few hours leeway to pull out the pin before it was set to go off).

Optione

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 7:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Lol. It's digital Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics