Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Can I prepare challah dough and braid and bake later?

twolilgirlies

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 9:18 pm
I want to have the dough prepared and mixed tonight and then have it rise tomorrow and braid and bake then.

how can I do that? I heard something about refrigerating the dough? I don't mind having it rise already tonight and then just braid and bake tomorrow...

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 9:38 pm
Make the dough and immediately put in the fridge where it will slow rise overnight. Don't let it rise before you put it in the fridge and make sure to bake tomorrow since overrising tastes awful.

twolilgirlies

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 9:42 pm
and taking it out of fridge after I come home from work at 4 to braid and bake-is that too long?

chocolatecake

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 11:04 pm
I do this all the time. I make my dough and braid it and then immediately freeze. Friday morn u take the challah out of the freezer and let it defrost\rise for three hours and then I bake it. I get fresh challah every shabbos.

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 2:15 am
chocolatecake wrote:
I do this all the time. I make my dough and braid it and then immediately freeze. Friday morn u take the challah out of the freezer and let it defrost\rise for three hours and then I bake it. I get fresh challah every shabbos.

You braid it after it has risen or right away?

MrsDash

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 2:28 am
I've done that and they've come out beautifully.

etky

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 5:24 am
I let it rise for an hour or so before I freeze it in several pre-portioned lumps.
Or you could shape at this point, after the first rise and before freezing - whatever works better for you.
After defrosting I shape it and let it rise a second time before baking.
Works beautifully each time.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Sep 18 2017, 7:39 am
chocolatecake wrote:

When you freeze the braided dough, how do you wrap it?
Also, when I use Kinneret frozen challah dough, I need to defrost it for the whole day - or do the quick rise method with the oven a little over 100 degrees F. Does this really only take 3 hours to defrost,or do you use a quick defrost and rise method?

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads