Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Papers papers everywhere!!!

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 6:25 pm
So...I'm new to this. Been married a bit over a year and the papers are piling up. Pay stubs, doctor bills that we paid, tax forms, eye prescriptions, leases and contracts, you name it I have it. But where? And when does it end?! I bought an expandable organizer and keep a section for my pay stubs, dh pay stubs, electricity bills, gas bills, etc. but how much do I actually have to keep and for how long? Can I throw out old pay stubs from 6 months ago? Year ago? What do I need to keep? What can I throw out?
I wish I can hire a personal organizer but can't afford that...and I was the organized kid in school lol

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 6:55 pm
Google on"keeping household records" for guidance on what to keep and for how long. You can clear up the clutter by scanning the papers and keeping the files on computer, then shredding the papers. Or get a file cabinet if you prefer paper.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 12:29 pm
That's a good idea but our computer is a tad slow. But I love the idea thanks!

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 2:57 pm
If you can't afford a file cabinet, get corrugated file boxes with lids.

Simplemom

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 7:22 am
Can you buy file boxes with dividers already in it? Kind of like an accordian file but in a file box? Im also looking for a storage solution for all my papers.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 7:26 am
The stuff you paid and don't need anymore (won't ever need to reference) you can just throw out. Also, a lot of account info -Phone bills, gas/electric, bank statements, cc statements- can be accessed online if ever need to reference something on those info. Only keep what you really need.

relish

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 7:28 am
Open a new email address just for this purpose, and use the google docs section to store all of you paperwork.
Whenever you need to give an email address for documents of this sort, use this gmail address, so when the documents come in, the get filed with a few clicks of a button.
This way you papers are not saved to your hard drive, and you can access them anywhere

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 10:28 am
You are keeping way too much stuff.

First have everything possible sent to you on-line. All of my utilities and credit cards and bank statements are paperless. If I need to look up something, it's right there.

Don't save anything unless it is a tax deduction and then it only needs to be kept as backup for the statute of limitations. Scan items and put in your computer. You say your computer is slow but what about using a Smartphone and just photographing them. Many people keep records this way and just upload to the cloud or their computer. Just make sure you have backups.

That really leaves very little else that you need to keep. A lease, a mortgage. Really important stuff should probably be kept in a safe deposit box anyway such as your will, Trust, deeds etc.

Why are you keeping pay stubs. You don't need them because at the end of the year you will receive your tax statement from your employer. After you review your stub, for accuracy toss it.

Why are you keeping prescriptions after they have been filled. If it is information, then just keep track of your meds on the computer.

Not sure what else there is that you are keeping.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 8:56 pm
Op here. Live in a tiny apt no room for file cabinet. Love the idea of storing in folders on computer just need to learn exactly how to work it.

As far as paid electricity bills etc-I can throw these out? Don't need as a receipt?
And Pay stubs? I didn't use them when filing taxes but idk??
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics