Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is sleepover camp a necessity?
Previous  1  2

lamplighter

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 4:04 pm
camp is not a neccesity at all, but it is a huge help socially and for personal growth. personally I believe that camp is a necessity for kids from 13-16, what bored kids can get up to in summer is not to be believed. I know at least 20 kids who went off bc they were in the city, most of their usual friends where away, they hung out with other kids, day camp schedule is not very rigid or long and there u go.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 4:13 pm
sarahliz wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
anon wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
I would never ever send my children to a camp where they might swim or do rock climbing, for example.

You won't let your children go swimming?

Not when I'm not around. Same at school, it will either be mommy coming with the school to help around (but in fact to see what happens), or medical note forbidding swimming.
Religious schools and organizations are known for their lack of serious on this issue, I don't know why.

That's really to bad... The camps I grew up going to were really strict about kids passing a swim test every year, always having life guards, rock climbing and whatnot were taken very seriously with special trained staff and good equipment. I guess it's probably just that in America everyone is afraid of being sued so they are overly cautious!

bh

Twizzlers

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 4:21 pm
there are children who are not so talented academically and need summer camp to be able to put the talents they do have to use.

imagine a child who gets lousy grades, just doesnt have a good head, yet is a really talented artist. where else can she excel other than camp? (maybe a sunday program or two, but its not the same) they need to feel that they are not a failure all their lives!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics