Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
4yo learned spitting in school

thegiver

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 5:03 pm
She spits when she feels hurt when she doesn't like something when she meets someone new or when she doesn't like someone. She spits in's my face and at her little brother every day. It causes me anxiety to be around her bec it makes me so angry and I don't know what to do. It's constant.

What worked for you?

TeachersNotebook

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 5:59 pm
I feel for you. My daughter also learned spitting in school around that age. She didn't do it at home quite as often as you describe, only about half. Sometimes I let it slide. Sometimes I made a face and said, "That's not a nice thing to do. I don't like it." I kept repeating it at intervals when she was using it in a mean way, and it's gradually fallen by the way side.

Good luck!

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 6:06 pm
I calmly told my 3-year-old that we only spit when we're brushing teeth, so she's more than welcome to spit into the sink. After a bunch of times, she realized that it's not all that much fun to get your spitting done when you have to go into the bathroom to do it.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 6:12 pm
I think you need to let the teacher know, and come up with a joint plan on how to deal with this.
Same rules at school and home, spitting is not nice.
I would give a warning that the next time she spits she goes to time out, and then give her a 4 minute time out. When she is done the time out, she should go appologize to you and the person she spit at.
If she has the same rules at home and at school, she'll learn that much faster that this behavior is not acceptable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette