Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
3 yr old stil hitting younger sibling.ideas? experiance?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 10:44 am
my almost 3 yr old still hits , pushes and feels jelaous of her almost 1 yr old brother.

she was the only kid for 2 yrs and then he came along. in the beg.. it was hard. and she usually only hits him or pushes him when she is over tired. but even when she has a good nights sleep she still starts up with him

we do spend one on one time with her

she has a hard time entertaining herself . so if I am nursing or changing his diaper she gets upset.

should an almost 3 yr old be able to entertain herself for periods of time? how long??
she is bored of all her toys
what are some good toy ideas for an almost 3 yr old?

red sea

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 12:33 pm
I really wouldn't think its about toys, so I'll take a total guess in the dark, plz ignore if its way off the mark.

Read to her while you nurse, employ her assistance when you change diapers.

I would also suggest you address the needs that she may be badly communicationg since she is only a baby for all purposes herself. If you say she hits when she sees you tending to the baby, she may be feeling still (a guess here), all this time later, that baby usurped her position. When she is not hitting, I think it would help if you work on making her feel that is not so. By telling her how proud you are of her, how she is such a great big sister, how she brings the diapers (for example, whatever you think of) how she teaches the baby how to (whatever you come up with) share, talk, crawl (whatever is somewhat true). Does she feel the baby kicked her out of her crib, her highchair, her stroller??? Then I'd work on rewriting history there too. Next item that baby needs, announce how big she has become & say we must buy her a new ________ or a big kid _________. Then casually think out loud, what should we do with the old one? Make it about she needs a new one, not sorry, baby needs it and we'll take yours away for him.

As far as when she hits, be consistent, take her away, say we don't hit, and use the standard punishment in your house, nothing more to do in the moment.

I really don't think its about buying new toys.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 8:45 pm
My 18 and 20 year old are still jelaous.

greenfire

Post Mon, Oct 15 2007, 8:51 pm
I never had hitting problems with tikes ...

grin

Post Tue, Oct 16 2007, 2:17 am
gam ze ya'avor. I always had this problem when they were little. (one threw her baby brother off the couch when she felt left out and angry, one sat on the baby) - they're all great freinds now and laugh together at these stories!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics