Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Keeping lunch warm

Moonlight

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 9:42 am
I'm looking for tips on how to send warm lunches for my kids. Wrapping in tin foil doesn't seem to cut it. I'm sending sandwiches, pasta, etc, not soup so thermos doesn't help. Does anyone have a brand of insulated lunch box that works well? Or other tips?

petiteruchy

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 10:05 am
Moonlight wrote:
I'm looking for tips on how to send warm lunches for my kids. Wrapping in tin foil doesn't seem to cut it. I'm sending sandwiches, pasta, etc, not soup so thermos doesn't help. Does anyone have a brand of insulated lunch box that works well? Or other tips?

Why can't you use a thermos for anything other than soup? We use them every day for pasta, rice dishes, all sorts of left overs. I'm not sure what you mean about a warm sandwich? What kind of sandwich do you expect to stay warm and edible for a few hours?

The rare time I really need something warm that doesn't fit into a thermos, I use put a regular tupperware in one of those small insulated lunch sacks separate from things that need to stay cool.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 10:07 am
I have something like this for my kids:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermos.....0K1M4

It works for solid foods like pasta with sauce and/or cheese or other foods that can retain heat like grains or beans.

When the weather gets a little cooler they can put their sandwiches on the heaters in school to warm them up.

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 10:44 am
What about the fired clay that keeps bread warm. It is a bit old fashioned, but ut works.

Moonlight

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 2:06 pm
petiteruchy wrote:
Why can't you use a thermos for anything other than soup? We use them every day for pasta, rice dishes, all sorts of left overs. I'm not sure what you mean about a warm sandwich? What kind of sandwich do you expect to stay warm and edible for a few hours?

The rare time I really need something warm that doesn't fit into a thermos, I use put a regular tupperware in one of those small insulated lunch sacks separate from things that need to stay cool.

They're thinking pizza bagels, pizza, grilled cheese, mac&cheese, lasagne, etc that they'd only eat warm. I can't imagine putting any of that on a thermos. Well, maybe the mac&cheese
.(I know, not the healthiest, but now they're picking plain bread )

Moonlight

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 2:06 pm
Rutabaga wrote:

When the weather gets a little cooler they can put their sandwiches on the heaters in school to warm them up.

Haha love this!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 4:12 pm
Moonlight wrote:
They're thinking pizza bagels, pizza, grilled cheese, mac&cheese, lasagne, etc that they'd only eat warm. I can't imagine putting any of that on a thermos. Well, maybe the mac&cheese
.(I know, not the healthiest, but now they're picking plain bread )

Get a wide mouthed shallow thermos and cut the bagel pizza into sticks, same for grilled cheese, lasagna should be fine too.
Honestly I'd prefer a cold tomato sauce and sliced cheese sandwich, cold cheddar mac n cheese salad, cold wrap with lettuce lining it so it doesn't go mush, etc than warm mushy food.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 6:00 pm
These have good ratings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....=UTF8

Be careful with cleaning of lids as mold is known to grow in small crevices where food or moisture gets trapped.

This looks cool but I don't know the site.

https://bakeryworlds.com/produ.....69136
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children