Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Restroom sprays

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 10:52 pm
I apologize if this question is out of line. I work with about 8 women, and we share a bathroom (3 stalls).

I sometimes have the misfortune of going in after certain women (one woman in particular) and it’s NOT pleasant to breathe in there. Not that all of us haven’t had a stomach ache from time to time, but there’s a giant can of air freshener right on the sink. (And she goes daily).

I don’t want to post a sign- the way the office is, you would be seen going in. But I would never embarrass her by talking to her, even privately, to tell her that she’s quite unbearable.

Is there some passive way to ask? I was thinking of adding a can and saying something like “oh, I love the new scented spray we got today”, but I don’t want people thinking I’m covering up my own smell.

Or just keep quiet, except for the sounds when I gasp and choke?

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 11:27 pm
most sprays don't help. they just add more smell to the existing smell and make it doubly bad for whoever goes in next.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Oct 05 2017, 3:59 pm
The Squatty potty makes a spray. Maybe you can spray it when you go in if it smells... but not sure if it would help because this specific spray is for "before you go"... I've never used it but it's marketed for exactly this scenario (for your coworker to use so u don't smell it when she's done)

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 7:18 pm
Bring a match book with you and light it to absorb the foul smell so you can breathe.
Also install fresheners that emit scents automatically at set times or use the plug in warmers from air wick.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 8:40 pm
amother wrote:

Also install fresheners that emit scents automatically at set times or use the plug in warmers from air wick.

Please don't. As someone allergic to artificial scents, I would much rather breathe the smell of excrement than fake flowers. One is unpleasant for a few minutes the other causes hours of agony. Maybe this is why she isn't using the spray.

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 9:29 pm
Leave the "before you go spray" in each stall if people use it...it really helps! We bought ours at Harmon Face Value store, it comes in a 2 pack. I will see if I can post a picture of it for you.

Side note I noticed it works extremely well for regular bowel movements and really keeps the odor to a minimum. However in the case of upset stomach/a loose bowel movement it doesn't trap as much of the odor but still a huge improvement.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 3:20 am
amother wrote:
I apologize if this question is out of line. I work with about 8 women, and we share a bathroom (3 stalls).

I sometimes have the misfortune of going in after certain women (one woman in particular) and it’s NOT pleasant to breathe in there. Not that all of us haven’t had a stomach ache from time to time, but there’s a giant can of air freshener right on the sink. (And she goes daily).

I don’t want to post a sign- the way the office is, you would be seen going in. But I would never embarrass her by talking to her, even privately, to tell her that she’s quite unbearable.

Is there some passive way to ask? I was thinking of adding a can and saying something like “oh, I love the new scented spray we got today”, but I don’t want people thinking I’m covering up my own smell.

Or just keep quiet, except for the sounds when I gasp and choke?

Since this is posted in manners and etiquette, I would like to say that I find your post a tad rude. I am sure OP, that your bowel movements smell like roses. But the rest of us smell like normal people.

I think it quite strange that you always just happen to go to the restroom after this alleged offending coworker/other coworkers. You know it is possible, that it isn't even her. I have been in a public restroom that has smelled and then someone else has gone in after me when I've only done a pee. I have sometimes fleetingly wondered if the person after me thinks it may have been me who had done the previous smell.

I think it's great you have a strong sense of smell, but please be a little more sensitive. Perhaps some of your coworkers are battling Crohn's disease. The last thing they need is a "passive" hint from a coworker.

As to your question, there are a variety of sprays and gels on the market but as you can see from the responses, we don't all agree on what works or smells the best.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 7:30 am
Is there a window? I find leaving a window open a little the easiest solution.

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 8:07 am
amother wrote:
Since this is posted in manners and etiquette, I would like to say that I find your post a tad rude. I am sure OP, that your bowel movements smell like roses. But the rest of us smell like normal people.

I think it quite strange that you always just happen to go to the restroom after this alleged offending coworker/other coworkers. You know it is possible, that it isn't even her. I have been in a public restroom that has smelled and then someone else has gone in after me when I've only done a pee. I have sometimes fleetingly wondered if the person after me thinks it may have been me who had done the previous smell.

I think it's great you have a strong sense of smell, but please be a little more sensitive. Perhaps some of your coworkers are battling Crohn's disease. The last thing they need is a "passive" hint from a coworker.

As to your question, there are a variety of sprays and gels on the market but as you can see from the responses, we don't all agree on what works or smells the best.

It is obvious who is going daily with a problem in an 8 woman office. You don't have to be paying attention to know this. I don't think OP needs a strong sense of smell when there is someone with a problem.

There are a lot of products out there for those with Crohn's to help mask the odor. Evidently,
normal bathroom products often aren't enough. There is something called Trap a **** along with a variety of other options. Lighting a match eliminates the iron smell. Courtesy flushes help.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 1:17 pm
Squishy wrote:
It is obvious who is going daily with a problem in an 8 woman office. You don't have to be paying attention to know this. I don't think OP needs a strong sense of smell when there is someone with a problem.

There are a lot of products out there for those with Crohn's to help mask the odor. Evidently,
normal bathroom products often aren't enough. There is something called Trap a **** along with a variety of other options. Lighting a match eliminates the iron smell. Courtesy flushes help.

But the point is, we didn't need to know about the eight-woman office. OP could have just as easily got her answer (e.g. in your second paragraph) by writing in Household Management "What products do you recommend to help with strong toilet smells?" without having to subject readers to hearing about coworker's BMs.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 2:10 pm
amother wrote:
Leave the "before you go spray" in each stall if people use it...it really helps! We bought ours at Harmon Face Value store, it comes in a 2 pack. I will see if I can post a picture of it for you.

Side note I noticed it works extremely well for regular bowel movements and really keeps the odor to a minimum. However in the case of upset stomach/a loose bowel movement it doesn't trap as much of the odor but still a huge improvement.

Poopouri, it works. Their commercials are a hoot.

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 2:52 pm
amother wrote:
But the point is, we didn't need to know about the eight-woman office. OP could have just as easily got her answer (e.g. in your second paragraph) by writing in Household Management "What products do you recommend to help with strong toilet smells?" without having to subject readers to hearing about coworker's BMs.

We would not have gotten the picture. It is one person with a daily issue. You missed the point in your first answer anyway.

If someone has a constant issue like Crohn's, they need to take responsibility; hence, all the information available on the Crohn's websites to minimize the disturbance to others using the toilet after. A polite person leaves the area in as near normal a condition as possible.

OP was looking for a nice way to tell ONE person she should do something after her daily use.

MrsDash

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 4:00 pm
This thread makes me think of this cartoon:

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 4:46 pm
Squishy wrote:

As someone with Crohns. What is the Trapped a*** product? I couldn’t find it by googling.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:01 pm
Squishy wrote:
We would not have gotten the picture. It is one person with a daily issue. You missed the point in your first answer anyway.

If someone has a constant issue like Crohn's, they need to take responsibility; hence, all the information available on the Crohn's websites to minimize the disturbance to others using the toilet after. A polite person leaves the area in as near normal a condition as possible.

OP was looking for a nice way to tell ONE person she should do something after her daily use.

I didn't miss the point. There is no nice way. The person is probably already aware. And now that person has her personal toilet life publicized on a public forum. I do hope that this poor woman isn't on imamother.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:09 pm
amother wrote:
As someone with Crohns. What is the Trapped a*** product? I couldn’t find it by googling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qLo6ioXvw30
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette