Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Anyone know rules re writing on chol hamoed?

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 12:53 pm
Been avoiding writing all chol hamoed but right now my head is starting to spin from the details I need to keep track of leading into yom tov (schedules, invites, things to prepare) I'm a list-maker, it helps my brain work. I tried doing some of the list-making on phone/computer because I definitely remember learning in the past that digital "writing" isn't the same as paper writing, but it's starting to feel more and more like I JUST NEED MY PAPER AND PEN BACK! But it's not writing for pleasure (I have heard that painting/drawing for pleasure is more ok...) it's purely practical so I'm just not sure.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 2:01 pm
We always write for practical and business purposes. I write menus, cooking schedules, grocery lists and to do lists all day.

As an aside, I remember asking the rav when I was a child if I could color on CH. I was probably about 10. He asked are you bas mitzvah yet? I said no. He said go ahead!

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 2:07 pm
Yeah that's what I told my kids but alas I already celebrated my bas mitzvah just a few years ago Wink
I thought it was davka for business purposes that you're not supposed to write.
Hopefully I'm wrong because there is just too much going on right now for me to handle without lists. I think it's more of a coping mechanism than a technical necessity, I feel calmer when I have my lists.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 3:37 pm
From the OU

We do not write on Chol Hamoed any documents or similar types of papers.

I. One can write a letter to a friend on Chol-Hamoed, but the minhag is to do so with some change from the norm (either by writing the first line slanted, or by turning the paper sideways etc.)

When writing a shopping list or other similar item Letzorech Hamoed (for Chol Hamoed/Yom Tov needs) it is preferable to do so with some sort of Shinui (change).

ii. One may write Divrei Torah so as not to forget them.

iii. One may type a letter or a list even though there isn’t really any way of making a Shinui.

https://www.ou.org/holidays/su.....moed/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics