Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Need lots of info about homeschooling

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 12:35 pm
I don't know anyone who homeschool, so please tell me everything about homeschooling. I'm thinking of the possibility since tuition is high and next year we'd have to pay for 3 kids. If you have any websites I could look at homeschooling (especially jewish education homeschooling).

So I'm assuming a parent has to be at home to homeschool, so does that mean that only one parent can work? I'm a stay at home mom right now anyway, but I do plan on going back to work, if not just part time. How many hours a day do you actually sit with your kids? do you have a schedule? how does it work with kids that don't always listen? After school, my kids do their homework with me, but they can't sit still for so long (one is in 1st grade, other in kindergarten).

Also, how do your kids socialize and have friends?

Thanks!!!

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 2:29 pm
No way to answer all of that in one swoop, but some points:

- It is fine to have a babysitter for part of the day.
- You need to have a general plan of what you want to cover over the course of a year or a semester.
- Don't worry about missing a day or more. Try to have a basic structure of LIVING and they will be learning. Formal learning is not the only way.
- Kids often learn things very fast one-on-one (that's how a tutor can catch a kid up to a class even if they are very behind)
- If a kid isn't grasping something that often means they aren't ready yet, just wait and try again in a few weeks/months (this is one of the advantages of homeschooling, you can learn at your child's pace)
- It will be harder to find productive ways of spending time than it will be to teach them
- I know of a woman who gave her kids "homework" every day and learned with each of them only 15 minutes one-on-one a day, with minor tutoring her kids were able to join a regular classroom when it became possible. I.e. it's hard to really mess things up!
- Kids don't need a classroom to learn social skills. Take them to the park, on playdates, to a museum, invite friends over, have Shabbos guests, speak to the cashier when you go grocery shopping, take extra-curriculars, go to day camp, or only a few of the above.
- Remember that enthusiasm is more important than skills. With enthusiasm, skills will come, but skills with no enthusiasm will result in no learning.

Some websites:
http://jewishhomeschool.blogspot.com (read old posts, some are really helpful!)
http://avivahwerner.com/2009/0.....chol/
http://chinuchathome.info/

Will try to post more later im yirtza Hashem!

Soul on fire

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 4:26 pm
First, you need to find out the laws pertaining to your state/country...then you will have to work within those parameters.
hslda.org should have legal info

little_mage

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 4:36 pm
If you're on facebook, there is a Jewish homeschool group: https://www.facebook.com/group.....9327/ There is also probably a local group. That's a great place to start with for local info, since laws can vary widely. Ignore if not relevant, but it sounds to me like you already have two in school and one who will start next year. What do your children who are already in school think? I was trying to start last year, with a new baby, and it was really, really hard. I might actually recomend leaving your older two in school, and just trying school with your youngest. It will probably be easier to figure out if you're only dealing with one child.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 10:04 pm
I'm not homeschooling, but my 4 year old is home with me (though both my older kids were in playgroup at age 2 & in school at age 3. I plan to send her to school next year for Pre1A - where I live in Pre1A, they learn hebrew & english reading and it is an important school year - I can't imagine teaching her all that myself at home. I'm just delaying sending her because it's so expensive and I figure I can teach he a bit of ABCs and Alef Bais at home. I plan to ask for tuition assistance at that point. Good luck!

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 12:22 am
Very comprehensive website with lots of resource for new and old-timers!
http://jewishhomeschool.wixsite.com/ntjoh
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling