Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Help me say it professionally

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 4:10 am
I just started a new project for a company I've worked for in the past. It's basically writing lessons in a math textbook. I hate it! I like simpler more stepped-out things like editing and writing one question at a time. This fast-paced work with tons to do and think about at once, and the need for creativity to boot, makes my head spin. I want to quit, but can't figure out how to say that without sounding like a lazy idiot. Or am I being a lazy idiot and I should just keep going and it's bound to get easier as I'm more used to it? I'm just too tired... what should I do???

ETA: If you don't feel like such a complicated question, how can I say professionally/intelligently that I don't like work where the tasks are big and with a lot of options with nothing clearly right/wrong?

Also, if you would be interested in such freelance work, feel free to post here and I'll send you a PM with more information. (I'm sure it's perfect for someone!)

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 5:30 am
sounds interesting. Can you pm me info?

And you can just say something simple like I dont think this job will work for me right now but thank you for the opportunity and please keep me in mind for any future editing needs you may have.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 7:56 am
Do you mind if I ask, how you come to get these types of freelance jobs? Asking because I was just considering upwork

Shoshie

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 10:03 am
Please pm me with more information about the work.

Use a "keep it simple" philosophy when turning down the job. "I'm unable to complete this assignment but look forward to working with you in the very near future on a different assignment."

If you're concerned you'll continue to receive more work in the math arena, write something like, "Math is not my forte, and I want all of my completed work to be at a superior level. I'd be interested in receiving the next available assignment in areas similar to those I've completed."

real israeli

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 10:05 am
I'd also love to have more information please. Would love to hear about the time commitment and more about the details of what the job entails.

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 12:44 pm
No need to provide all those details. Quit this one the short and simple way (refer to above.) If a similar offer comes up in the future, address it separately ("I am only accepting editing assignments at this time. But I can recommend half a dozen amothers interested in writing lessons." Wink )

And add me to the list of those interested in this type of position. I'm usually over-committed but you never know... I would love this type of work.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
Do you mind if I ask, how you come to get these types of freelance jobs? Asking because I was just considering upwork

I spent a couple of years working full time for a big publishing company, so after my boss there recommended me to companies they work with. Baruch Hashem... a lot of siyata dishmaya! I also got connected to one company through a regular job site like monster/indeed years back, but I have never had luck with the freelance sites. If you look up "freelance math editor" or whatever, some good matches come up, as well as job sites to browse.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers