Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Passenger jet in flames at Toronto airport- 2005

proudmom

Post Tue, Aug 02 2005, 2:12 pm
A passenger jet burst into flames after skidding off the runway at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.

There is no word on whether there are any casualties and the number of passengers was not immediately available.

Police indicate the aircraft was an Air France jet that was trying to land when it ran into trouble.

"An Air France plane landing on runway 2-4 left went off the end of the runway the area of Convert Drive and the 401 area in Mississauga," said Sgt. Glyn Griffiths.

He couldn't say whether there were any injuries or if any passengers had been removed from the plane, but said there's been a full response by all emergency vehicles.

Air France has not released a statement, but a ticket agent with the airline told Reuters that the burning plane is an A340 airbus that was travelling from Paris to Toronto.

Live television pictures showed flames and smoke billowing from the aircraft in a wooded area just metres from Highway 401 -- Canada's busiest highway -- near the airport. A section of the plane's wing could be seen jutting from the trees.

CTV Toronto's Jim Junkin reports that 200 people are thought to have been on board.

Severe storms were hitting the area at the time of the accident. Eyewitnesses reported seeing lightning hit the plane before it burst into flames.

The Greater Toronto Airport Authority is expected to hold a press conference sometime after 5 p.m. ET.

Tefila

Post Tue, Aug 02 2005, 2:13 pm
shock I'm not flying now for awhile 4 sure Exclamation

baby's mom

Post Tue, Aug 02 2005, 2:14 pm
shock shock shock shock shock shock

micki

Post Tue, Aug 02 2005, 3:23 pm
no one killed, only 14 with minor injuries

queen

Post Tue, Aug 02 2005, 5:31 pm
my husband told me they were interviewing a man who had JUST gotten off the plane. "welcome to toronto," the newscaster begins.....

gosh, this guy just got off an accident/flame infested plane, and THIS is how he begins the interview???!?!??!!!!!

kind of ironic.
"welcome to Toronto."

supermom

Post Tue, Aug 02 2005, 11:43 pm
I agree. the plane went into flames but only 14 injured how did that happen? injured as badly burnt?

Post Wed, Aug 03 2005, 10:27 am
no, I believe they were just bruises!

supermom

Post Wed, Aug 03 2005, 10:57 pm
now that is a miracle on its own

achayl

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 9:48 am
Air France has a bad track record with the Pearson Airport in Toronto. I remember when the Air France plane skidded off the end of the runway and the whole thing burst into flames a few years ago. The highways even stopped to watch. No one was killed. A friend of mine had her luggage lost and it came on that flight to catch up to her, needless to say her luggage was burned and lost forever.

I think I would pick my airline carefully!!!

overthehill

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 9:57 am
Why are you commenting on something that appears to have happened in AUGUST 2005.
You scared the daylights out of people for no reason as this happened 4 years ago.
HELLO.. shock shock shock shock

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 10:30 am
Whoa! you got me there for a moment with the date. This story is older than my Shimie!!!

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 10:32 am
That was really mean- I am IYH flying into Toronto tonight, I was so scared my plane would be canceled!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics