Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Wow so now MO can't defend themselves

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 5:36 pm
why was that thread locked about YU ... so now MO can't defend themselves - WOW shock

Maya

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 5:38 pm
They can now defend themselves on this thread.

TammyTammy

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 5:40 pm
I looked in the "Controversial" section for the thread that Motek referenced but could not find it (based on thread title). Does anyone know which thread this is?

Tammy

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 5:47 pm
it's not in MO ... but I find it rude ... shock

my rav told me a story about a chassidishe girl that went off the derech ... her father went to the his Rebbe and said why did she turn away ... and the Rebbe replied that he didn't send her to YU ... had the father seen his child's need she would still be frum ...

not everybody is meant to be the same - nor is it wrong to be different ...

Last edited by greenfire on Wed, Oct 17 2007, 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crayon210

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 5:58 pm
I would be very interested in a source for that story.

lubcoralsprings

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 6:00 pm
I went to Stern College and I would say even though they are considered "MO" not very many people that teach Judiac studies there are actually MO. I had Lubavitch teaches, more charadi teachers, and Ivrit teachers that I don't think were frum. It was what you made of it. You could definitely avoid teachers you thought were not your hashkafah.

TammyTammy

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 6:02 pm
TammyTammy wrote:
I looked in the "Controversial" section for the thread that Motek referenced but could not find it (based on thread title). Does anyone know which thread this is?

Tammy

Motek was kind enough to point me to the thread in question. It's over here (starting on about page 8 ). However, the thread is locked. How are we to discuss this further? Or is the subject of YU hereby verbotten?

Tammy

Last edited by TammyTammy on Wed, Oct 17 2007, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 6:03 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
I would be very interested in a source for that story.

my only source is my rov - whom I respect tremendously ... as does the entire community - not just his kahilla ...

lubcoralsprings

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 6:04 pm
Why would it be forbidden? I know a lot of people have severe hatred to it but I just think they are against college in general. I went there and my two younger sisters are/were. My sister is very frum and now in dental school. We are all so proud of her accomplishments and I don't know why anyone is ashamed of it?! For me there was no decision about going/not going to college. I come from an educated family and my parents would have been really upset had I not gone. I feel/felt fortunate that I was able to go to a frum school as opposed to Barnard or some other womans college. No matter what people say the trend in all orthodoxy and even lubavitch is for kids to go to college. I know the "VERY FRUM" don't agree with it but it is what it is. There were at least 10 lubabs from "BIG FAMILIES" that were there when I was there besides from all the other lubab kids from BT parents. I know that "Certain PEople" won't endorse it but people are going and that's the fact of life.

Last edited by lubcoralsprings on Wed, Oct 17 2007, 6:11 pm; edited 2 times in total

Clarissa

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 6:09 pm
I don't think people are genuinely ashamed of YU. I think that some people are just irrationally frightened of anybody learning, believing or interpreting differently. I really think that if someone is comfortable with who they are, with their Judaism, they'd be comfortable with the fact that others have learned differently and observe differently. I don't know what motivates them to attack and denigrate here, but I think it's too bad, to come to a board like this and not truly take advantage of the ideas and customs that are being shared here. There's a lot to learn, if we are open-minded and don't attack.

lubcoralsprings

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 6:16 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I don't think people are genuinely ashamed of YU. I think that some people are just irrationally frightened of anybody learning, believing or interpreting differently. I really think that if someone is comfortable with who they are, with their Judaism, they'd be comfortable with the fact that others have learned differently and observe differently. I don't know what motivates them to attack and denigrate here, but I think it's too bad, to come to a board like this and not truly take advantage of the ideas and customs that are being shared here. There's a lot to learn, if we are open-minded and don't attack.

I agree with you. I just don't see how anyone can cut down anything that they have themselves experienced. There's a great fear of the unknown. People seem to think college is all about s=x, drugs, and partying. When I went to Stern I was a Biology major and studied NONSTOP! I didn't have time for much else. If you are serious about learning then you'll be busy in college. It's hard for some people to understand what intense study means. Wink

Crayon210

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 6:25 pm
Just to add one small point: the issues with college go a lot deeper than relations, drugs, and partying. The relations, drugs, and partying aspect make it obviously assur. The other parts (secular education, conflicts with Torah, etc.) are the real issues that are up for discussion.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 6:27 pm
lubcoralsprings wrote:
People seem to think college is all about s=x, drugs, and partying. When I went to Stern I was a Biology major and studied NONSTOP! I didn't have time for much else. If you are serious about learning then you'll be busy in college. It's hard for some people to understand what intense study means. Wink

ditto

It's about what you'll want it to be about.

But if they are so afraid, why not go to a university close to their home and live at the parents? That's what most people do in France, so there is few to no campus life. Of course in big universities there is a core of negative people, like everywhere, but why associate with them?
I once visited a university close to a Jewish area, in Paris, and I saw guys waiting for their course to begin reading a sefer, there are also guys who go to uni at day and kolel in the evening, I doubt they are partying!

If you go to a small university campus life will be non existant - but you won't have an association of Jewish students, and certainly not of frum students. That's a choice, that is if you have several unis close to you.

Motek

Post Wed, Oct 17 2007, 6:49 pm
Yael locked the thread about Modern Orthodoxy (which included a number of posts about YU). I locked the recent YU discussion since it was discussed before and locked, by Yael. I am locking this too. If you would like any of these threads to be opened, please contact Yael via pm as she is the one who needs to make this decision.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics