Home

ISO Best Sabbath Mode Oven-

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Lime


Post  Fri, Nov 03 2017, 12:57 pm
I had picked my appliances, until I read the ALERT on the star k website for Kitchenaid Wall Ovens.

I need a sabbath mode oven that
ON YOM TOV- you can change temperatures by inputting the temperature itself. NOT BY USING THE ARROW KEYS.
In otherwards, once it's on sabbath mode I can press 450 start and the oven, on a delay, will change to 450.

I'm not discussing wether this is allowed or not, my Rav says it's ok on YT.
Back to top

giselle









  


Post  Fri, Nov 03 2017, 1:14 pm
Huh why would it not be ok

Maybe look for one with a dial
Back to top

amother




Tangerine


Post  Fri, Nov 03 2017, 1:31 pm
amother wrote:
I had picked my appliances, until I read the ALERT on the star k website for Kitchenaid Wall Ovens.

I need a sabbath mode oven that
ON YOM TOV- you can change temperatures by inputting the temperature itself. NOT BY USING THE ARROW KEYS.
In otherwards, once it's on sabbath mode I can press 450 start and the oven, on a delay, will change to 450.

I'm not discussing wether this is allowed or not, my Rav says it's ok on YT.

Call star-k for a recommendation.
Back to top

amother




Lime


Post  Fri, Nov 03 2017, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
Call star-k for a recommendation.


Tried that they don't make any recommendations
Meaning I would have to find every single manual for every single oven and see how their sabbath mode works and then cross reference with the star k.

Kitchenaid not ok because they found that when you change the temp the numbers change on the screen. So I can use the sabbath mode, I can't change the temp onnYT.
B"H I found out before I purchased
Back to top

amother




Lemon


Post  Fri, Nov 03 2017, 2:23 pm
amother wrote:
Tried that they don't make any recommendations
Meaning I would have to find every single manual for every single oven and see how their sabbath mode works and then cross reference with the star k.

Kitchenaid not ok because they found that when you change the temp the numbers change on the screen. So I can use the sabbath mode, I can't change the temp onnYT.
B"H I found out before I purchased


I have a GE. When in Shabbat Mode, it doesn't display the oven temperature. Meaning that you just kind of hope it registered. But I think that's what you're looking for.

I have an older version of this https://www.swappliances.com/p.....selss.html
Back to top

amother




Lime


Post  Fri, Nov 03 2017, 2:41 pm
Currently I have a GE range.
From day 1 all it gave me is trouble.
On Sabbath Mode the fan turns on and off when you open the door.
Tech came out and said it's normal and thats the way it works.
The way I fixed it is that I pasted the Shabbat switch on the little plunger thingy, so that the oven registers the oven as closed all the time.
Also, it doesn't bake evenly.
My challah (anything I bake or cook) burns on one side. I have to always rotate it.
It takes for ever to heat up to temp. And the temp drops VERY quickly. Since I have to open it often to rotate the food, it takes for ever to cook.
All my other GE appliances were not good either.
Back to top

amother




Lemon


Post  Fri, Nov 03 2017, 2:43 pm
amother wrote:
Currently I have a GE range.
From day 1 all it gave me is trouble.
On Sabbath Mode the fan turns on and off when you open the door.
Tech came out and said it's normal and thats the way it works.
The way I fixed it is that I pasted the Shabbat switch on the little plunger thingy, so that the oven registers the oven as closed all the time.
Also, it doesn't bake evenly.
My challah (anything I bake or cook) burns on one side. I have to always rotate it.
It takes for ever to heat up to temp. And the temp drops VERY quickly. Since I have to open it often to rotate the food, it takes for ever to cook.
All my other GE appliances were not good either.


Maybe you got a lemon, but mine works beautifully.
Back to top

amother




Lime


Post  Fri, Nov 03 2017, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe you got a lemon, but mine works beautifully.


All of my GE appliances must have been lemons, then.
BUT
I'm looking for a Sabbath mode wall oven single unit that you can change temp on YT with the key pad, not the arrows.
Back to top

nicole81









  


Post  Fri, Nov 03 2017, 3:22 pm
The kitchenaid gas range does not have this issue FYI.
Back to top

amother




Lime


Post  Fri, Nov 03 2017, 4:18 pm
nicole81 wrote:
The kitchenaid gas range does not have this issue FYI.


It has to be a single electric wall oven. Replacing some appliances in a new home.
Back to top

amother




Lime


Post  Sun, Nov 05 2017, 3:15 pm
BUMP
Back to top

OOTBubby









  


Post  Sun, Nov 05 2017, 6:47 pm
OP, I doubt that you will find what you are looking for. In explanations of Sabbath mode, it is mentioned that all displays are blanked out so you wouldn't be able to see what temperature you are selecting. Also, Sabbath mode ovens certified by the Star-K say you can change to temperature on Yom Tov, but the vast majority of Rabbis (other than Rav Heinemann and the other Star-K rabbonim) do not allow temperature changes on Yom Tov even on those ovens.
Back to top

amother




Lime


Post  Tue, Nov 07 2017, 9:04 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
OP, I doubt that you will find what you are looking for. In explanations of Sabbath mode, it is mentioned that all displays are blanked out so you wouldn't be able to see what temperature you are selecting. Also, Sabbath mode ovens certified by the Star-K say you can change to temperature on Yom Tov, but the vast majority of Rabbis (other than Rav Heinemann and the other Star-K rabbonim) do not allow temperature changes on Yom Tov even on those ovens.


Sorry I didn't make myself clear.
Kitchenaid manual states that the temp change will not display on the screen
Star k states there's a glitch in the system and the display changes when you raise or lower the temp.

I'm looking for a Sabbath mode oven that in order to change the temp you input the temp. In otherwards you use the numbers, NOT arrows going up and down. I will not be able to remember what temp I put the oven on the last time I used it. I don't want it to change in the display.

BTW, OOT, you said in past posts that you have a Kitchenaid oven, and that you are happy with it. Is this still true? What model # do you have?
Back to top

OOTBubby









  


Post  Tue, Nov 07 2017, 9:14 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry I didn't make myself clear.
Kitchenaid manual states that the temp change will not display on the screen
Star k states there's a glitch in the system and the display changes when you raise or lower the temp.

I'm looking for a Sabbath mode oven that in order to change the temp you input the temp. In otherwards you use the numbers, NOT arrows going up and down. I will not be able to remember what temp I put the oven on the last time I used it. I don't want it to change in the display.

BTW, OOT, you said in past posts that you have a Kitchenaid oven, and that you are happy with it. Is this still true? What model # do you have?


I have 2 Kitchenaid built in ovens -- a single (model #KOST100ESS) and a double (model #KODE500ESS). While I do use the Sabbath mode, I do NOT change temperature on Yom Tov as our Rav (and many others except for the Star-K) hold that it is not allowed.

I am basically happy with the ovens with one big exception. It seems that these ovens (Kitchenaid builtins) tend to have a big problem with self-cleaning. Many times self-cleaning it will cause either the circuit board to short out or a fuse to blow leaving the oven inoperable without service (at a nice cost unless you have a service contract). If you google it you will see lots of info about this. Since I've encountered the problem (mine was a fuse blowing first time the oven was cleaned) I've found many neighbors and acquaintances who've had these problems. Had I known about this in advance I would not have purchased the Kitchenaids. I would have gone with another brand. Other than that, I am happy with them; they work as they should and have nice features. But, it is a real pain if you have to be cautious about self cleaning them. Right now all 3 of mine need cleaning but I keep hesitating to do it since it might cause me to be without an oven for a week or so. I did get service contracts after it happened the first time and I found about this, but it still takes time to get it fixed.
Back to top

amother




Lime


Post  Tue, Nov 07 2017, 9:19 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I have 2 Kitchenaid built in ovens -- a single (model #KOST100ESS) and a double (model #KODE500ESS). While I do use the Sabbath mode, I do NOT change temperature on Yom Tov as our Rav (and many others except for the Star-K) hold that it is not allowed.

I am basically happy with the ovens with one big exception. It seems that these ovens (Kitchenaid builtins) tend to have a big problem with self-cleaning. Many times self-cleaning it will cause either the circuit board to short out or a fuse to blow leaving the oven inoperable without service (at a nice cost unless you have a service contract). If you google it you will see lots of info about this. Since I've encountered the problem (mine was a fuse blowing first time the oven was cleaned) I've found many neighbors and acquaintances who've had these problems. Had I known about this in advance I would not have purchased the Kitchenaids. I would have gone with another brand. Other than that, I am happy with them; they work as they should and have nice features. But, it is a real pain if you have to be cautious about self cleaning them. Right now all 3 of mine need cleaning but I keep hesitating to do it since it might cause me to be without an oven for a week or so. I did get service contracts after it happened the first time and I found about this, but it still takes time to get it fixed.




Wow thanks for such a quick response
It's a big deal if I can't use the self clean.
Back to top

JoyInTheMorning









  


Post  Tue, Nov 07 2017, 9:47 pm
My GE Sabbath mode oven has a problem with self-cleaning also. The first Pesach that I moved into this house, I used the self-cleaning feature, and the oven didn't work at all afterwards. And of course I realized this Erev Pesach when I was cooking!

Now I don't use the self-cleaning feature. I kasher on Pesach by cleaning the oven myself (I happen to keep a very clean oven, always putting large cookie sheet under anything that might spill, so it's not much work), then heating it at 550 for 2 hours. That's what I did when I had an oven that didn't have the self-cleaning feature.

I miss my old-fashioned non-electronic oven, where I could just turn a dial on Yom Tov to change the temperature. What do I gain from it being electronic? Nothing. It's a huge headache.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Similar Topics Replies Last Post
ISO Sabbath Mode double wall oven
by amother
6 Wed, Jan 11 2017, 11:03 am View last post
Sabbath Mode Oven 42 Mon, Jun 15 2015, 5:42 pm View last post
KA Wall Oven, Sabbath mode
by cbg
6 Mon, Jun 18 2018, 7:39 pm View last post
by cbg
no sabbath mode oven keeping food hot
by amother
24 Mon, Dec 12 2011, 11:36 am View last post
do you use sabbath mode oven on shabbos? 10 Fri, Mar 22 2013, 3:54 pm View last post
by ROFL

Jump to:  









Report offensive ad