Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Are you happy wearing a sheitel?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Do you want to stop wearing a sheitel?
I'd love to stop because of comfort.  
 13%  [ 41 ]
I'd love to stop because of cost.  
 1%  [ 4 ]
I'd love to stop for convenience (time to get sheitel done).  
 0%  [ 2 ]
I think it's strange to cover your hair with hair.  
 3%  [ 12 ]
I think other methods are more tzanua.  
 1%  [ 5 ]
All or several of the above  
 15%  [ 48 ]
I have never worn a sheitel.  
 10%  [ 31 ]
I have stopped wearing a sheitel  
 3%  [ 12 ]
I like wearing a sheitel.  
 49%  [ 151 ]
Total Votes : 306

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 2:46 pm
I have been experimenting with scarves (the one I'm wearing now was on sale for about $15 which is more than I usually spend!) and getting lots of opinions from other women.

It seems many women would like to switch for a variety of reasons, but they are too timid or conservative or conforming to go against society.

I thought an informal poll might be instructive. I have not included "I don't cover" because there are only so many options that can be added, but do feel free to opine anyhow!

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 2:51 pm
I think you have an agenda here. 10 options about NOT wearing a wig....you are welcome to do what you like but don't try to convince me to follow YOUR agenda!!!

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 3:08 pm
I would not like to stop, I like how I look in a sheitel better than in a tichel. I don't agree to wear a sheitel, I'm happy to wear a sheitel.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 3:12 pm
No I don't want to stop wearing a shaitel. I love my sheitels. In fact I hope to buy another one tomorrow.

simba

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 3:14 pm
I don't love wearing a sheitel but wear it because it is the preferable way to cover my hair based n the shita I hold by. I don't like the tone of this thread. Apologies.

I would like to lower my standards of kashrut because it is more convenient?

Mommy2m

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 3:14 pm
I love wigs. It gives me beautiful, thick, and already styled hair in 30 seconds. It makes me look so put together.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 3:15 pm
Why do I agree to wear shaitels? Because I can look good while I cover my hair for Judaism. I may find ways to try to purchase wigs for more affordable prices but no one is forcing me into anything. This is a choice I want to make.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 3:37 pm
I wear wigs because I feel pretty in them.

It's cheaper and more comfortable not to wear makeup or stylish clothing or pretty shoes, but I choose to overlook the cons in favor of the pros!

Everyone can decide about the pros and cons, and style their body as they wish!

Last edited by TranquilityAndPeace on Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 3:38 pm
Quote:
I think you have an agenda here. 10 options about NOT wearing a wig....you are welcome to do what you like but don't try to convince me to follow YOUR agenda!!!
I'm not trying to convince anyone! Chas vesholom!

My shitah, if any, is that everyone should be themselves within halacha. It bothers me how much many of us feel compelled to do things that are not halacha but society's expectations. (I am not talking about where your mesorah holds a specific way, such as those who follow Rav Ovadiah Yosef not to wear a sheital, or Chabad which holds it's better.)

I was wondering how many ladies are wearing a sheitel only to be conforming to society. Just yesterday two women admired my tichel and said they would love to switch. So I was curious how others feel.

Soul on fire

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 3:43 pm
simba wrote:
I don't love wearing a sheitel but wear it because it is the preferable way to cover my hair based n the shita I hold by. I don't like the tone of this thread. Apologies.

Are you suggesting that covering in any way other than a sheitel is a lower standard...equivalent to eating treif?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 3:44 pm
I hate sheitals and mostly stopped wearing them but I'm not ready yet to show up to a simcha in a tichel. So I basically wear tichels all the time but when I go to a wedding, I suffer through the sheital.

BH5745

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 3:52 pm
This question is phrased rather presumptuously, don't you think? The wording "agree to wear a sheitel" makes it sound as if wearing a sheitel is something foisted upon women against our will. I don't "agree" to do anything of the sort. I have options to either: 1) not cover; 2) cover with a sheitel; 3) cover with a tichel, snood, turban or hat.

I didn't "agree" to not wear a turban; I didn't not "agree" to not cover; and likewise I didn't "agree" to wear a sheitel. Every time I wear a sheitel I make my choice to do so. Every time I wear a hat I agree to do that. And so on. Please don't condescend my choice to wear this or that by asking why I "agree" to do so -as if my so doing means I capitulated my will to someone else's.

icebreaker

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 3:53 pm
I just like wearing my sheitals. I like tichels, too, and during the summer when it’s hot, I will wear a tichel instead of a sheital. But in winter, the sheital keeps my head warm lol.

I also have a very round, chubby face and big cheeks and so wearing a tichel often makes me look like a chipmunk. Wearing a sheital in a way that slims down my face takes away that insecurity that I do look like a chipmunk.

Last edited by icebreaker on Sun, Nov 05 2017, 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 3:53 pm
simba wrote:
I don't love wearing a sheitel but wear it because it is the preferable way to cover 2my hair based n the shita I hold by. I don't like the tone of this thread. Apologies.

Sorry but many many hold by wearinf a scarf as a more Tsanua way of covering...with a sheital being "less" chumradik

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 3:56 pm
I have never worn a wig and dont pan to ever wear a wig. I only own kerchiefs. I love what I look like with kerchiefs. It never crossed my mind to even buy a wig. In my circles, dati leumi / MO there are a few women who wear wigs sometimes, but most women wear kerchiefs and sometimes hats.

simba

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:01 pm
Soul on fire wrote:
Are you suggesting that covering in any way other than a sheitel is a lower standard...equivalent to eating treif?

Not at all. I am equating mitzvos and things we do because we live a frum life. Not because we love or enjoy them.

weasley

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:05 pm
I don't particularly enjoy wearing a wig - but not for any of the above reasons - my hair naturally is really stunning. Any wig coming close to it is out of my budget! I've been married 3 yrs, grew up knowing I'd wear a wig but it's still a struggle! I wish I didn't need to cover my hair!!!

That being said, IMO in all ways of covering your hair a sheital is definitely the prettiest. Your head is MEANT to have hair coming off it and however pretty the headcovering is it doesn't come close to having beautifully styled hair!

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:07 pm
amother wrote:
Sorry but many many hold by wearinf a scarf as a more Tsanua way of covering...with a sheital being "less" chumradik

Depending on how much hair is covered.

Many Tichel wearers unfortunately have plenty of hair sticking out making it much less Tznius than a wig.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:17 pm
[quote="amother"]
Quote:

I was wondering how many ladies are wearing a sheitel only to be conforming to society. Just yesterday two women admired my tichel and said they would love to switch. So I was curious how others feel.

I would love to wolf down my food when I'm in a rush, and not use cutlery, but that is not a way to behave socially.

I might even love to wear no clothes at all during heat waves.

I may want to run lots of red lights.

HUNDREDS of things I do are because they are the proper way to behave socially, dress socially, or behave legally.

For the most part, living in a society, rather than as a hermit, comes with the price of adhering to certain socially accepted behaviors.

I would love to feel as pretty in a tichel as a sheitel, since they're more comfortable, but I do not. If I would, I would consider wearing tichels more often. I don't see wearing a wig as social pressure; it's just what you do within my society. Like eating politely; I don't feel pressured about using cutlery.

As an aside, I post lots of behind-the-scenes photos on Instagram of me working while wearing a tichel. I cannot work (as a newborn baby photographer) in a wig; the hair goes between my eye and camera, and I get too hot!

mgs

Post Sun, Nov 05 2017, 4:36 pm
Soul on fire wrote:

Are you equating lowering ones kashrus standards to eating treif?
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics