Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Showering with ventilation
Previous  1  2

Do you expect family members to have window or door opened when showering if no vent fan is in the bathroom?
yes - I hate mildew and mold  
 34%  [ 21 ]
no - I say, "live and let live!"  
 60%  [ 37 ]
I wish - I want them to, but they just don't listen!  
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 61

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 7:25 pm
My bathroom has one useless vent fan and no windows. I don't like to leave the door open except in the summer because it creats a cold draft. My husband refuses to leave the door open at all, as he apparently requires sauna conditions year round. Shockingly, we do not have problems with mold or mildew. We do get a slightly off smell, like clothes that were left in the washer just a bit too long. I started taking the damp towels out to hang where there is more air. I also put a small fan across the hall from the bathroom door, and I turn it in after showers.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 7:32 pm
salamanca wrote:
Who in the world said anything about "one shower"? A guest is one thing; presumably that would be a one time thing. But all members of a family showering daily with no ventilation (no fan, window or door open) - sorry, but opening a window or door afterwards is somewhat like closing the barn door after the horse has run away. It will help some, but not enough.

I didn’t mean “one shower EVER,” I meant “one shower AT A TIME.” As in there’s going to be a chance to ventilate the room after each shower, or even after each string of showers. The room doesn’t have to be bolted shut for years on end. Air it out when everyone’s showers are done.

nicole81

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 7:48 pm
salamanca wrote:
To me, misery is a bathroom that needs major repairs in the amount of hundreds of dollars (been there, done that,) because there was no ventilation for showers.

Opening a window *after* showering accomplishes the needed ventilation. I've been in this house for 9 years with no such repairs. And honestly even if I had to pay the hundreds of dollars yearly, I would gladly fork it over in order to continue showering in a steaming hot bathroom regularly.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry