Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Lets put it in perspective. What did you earn?
1  2  Next

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 8:02 am
I just realized this is in the NY forum, I meant to put it in “working women”. I’m reporting this so a mod can please move it for me.

For amother Bronze in the “ why don’t people pay anymore” thread. How off am I? I said $17/hour and partial payment for health coverage is huge. With a few years of office experince (I’m assuming she is referring to an office job), no degree, what can one expect to earn in a new job? And what benefits, if any, can you expect to come with your job? Let’s compare our experiences, locations, and different jobs. Let’s not limit office. What can somebody expect to earn when applying for a new job with, say, three years of experience in that field.

Me - after 3 years of teaching, frum schools, no degree, I earned $23k for full time before taxes 10 years ago. The school paid 50% of our health insurance premium. Not in NY.

Then it’s a long story but I switched to office work, with no prior experience was offered $14 an hour before taxes and nothing towards benefits. No benefits or even offered. Then I switched to a different office and was offered $20 an hour, and then $25 when I earned my degree. This is not your typical office job, not getting more specific, but its a certian field. They also helped pay for college. They pay 80% of my health premium and 50% of dependants. Not a frum office. Not in NY.

EDITED TO ADD - I hope people who have entered the workforce in the past 5 years will also reply so we can get an idea of what Entry level positions pay these days.

Last edited by watergirl on Wed, Nov 08 2017, 10:32 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Red

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 8:20 am
Started teaching high school for $45 a period (45 minutes each), 7 years later that's $60.

Office work here and there $20 an hour.

Brooklyn.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 8:37 am
Basic office work, no advanced education or degree. Starting salary was $6.95 per hour, 15 years ago. I'm now earning $52 net per hour.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 8:48 am
16 years ago started without a degree or experience as a receptionist. $9.00 per hour.
Then moved on to Bookkeeping at $13.00 14 years ago.
Next job started me at $16.00 per hour 8 yrs ago , increased after 3 months to $18.00 per hour. Worked there for 5 years and was earning $23 per hour when I left . When straight to the next job started at $30.00 per hour 4 years ago, had much more responsibility. But it was too stressful, so work now for $26.00 per hour at a lower position but less responsibility and much easier work. Though I feel underpaid.
Never had higher than highschool education

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 8:53 am
amother wrote:
Started teaching high school for $45 a period (45 minutes each), 7 years later that's $60.

Brooklyn.

Just curious...60 dollars across the board or dm? (Per period)

amother
Red

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 8:57 am
amother wrote:
Just curious...60 dollars across the board or dm? (Per period)

Per period. Consider that periods are limited to afternoon school hours (4 per day, 4 days a week) and that these are small schools where it's impossible for me to work 16 periods, and that I only get paid 10 months a year...

All these besides the fact that even though it's officially a part-time job the preparation and grading more than makes up for it.

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 8:59 am
My wages in various fields:

10-15 years ago:

Teacher's Assistant in Day Care: $10, no benefits

Food Service (10-15 years ago): minimum wage ($5.15 at that time) with some tips. Maximum after three years experience: $10 with discounted health insurance option

House painter: $15-$20 -- no benefits, but flexible schedule

All-purpose assistant in small family-run Kitchen and Bath business: $15, $18 after two years, partially covered health insurance

Past 5 years after 2 degrees:

Artists assistant: $15 for two years with no benefits, but flexible schedule

Free-lance editing: $20 no benefits

Free-lance transcription: $15-20, no benefits

Artist: Unpredictable sales with no benefits except a flexible schedule

Housewife: Priceless! lol Room and board, benefit of not hating my job;)

Last edited by lavenderchimes on Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:00 am
amother wrote:
Per period. Consider that periods are limited to afternoon school hours (4 per day, 4 days a week) and that these are small schools where it's impossible for me to work 16 periods, and that I only get paid 10 months a year...

All these besides the fact that even though it's officially a part-time job the preparation and grading more than makes up for it.

Yeah yeah I feel you loud and clear!!! Same situation...

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:03 am
What I'm asking is how does the administration pay you? Do they make an average of how many off weeks their are in a school year? Do you need to keep an account of every period that you teach?

amother
Red

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:18 am
amother wrote:
What I'm asking is how does the administration pay you? Do they make an average of how many off weeks their are in a school year? Do you need to keep an account of every period that you teach?

10 months of #of periods per week x 4.

I once pointed out that months are not exactly 4 weeks but they countered that I get paid for yomtov and erev yom tov etc so I should please not complicate their calculations to my own detriment lol. It works for me.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:35 am
I rejoined the work-force (p/t) 4 years ago when my youngest went to school. I found a job as a bookkeeper. This is not the career I had before kids, and I have no particular schooling or training for this job, but I'm a fast learner and someone I know took a chance with me.
I started at $16/ hr. Now I get $19/ hr. I also get a $50/ week gas allowance and and they match my 401(k) contributions dollar to dollar which is a very nice benefit. As a part timer I'm not eligible for insurance. I also get no paid holidays, vacation time or sick days. But they are completely flexible with my schedule. Nobody cares if I take off for Jewish holidays, to stay home with sick kids, a week of vacation, etc. so long as I keep everything up to date. And I also have the ability to work off-site when necessary.

(I should add that before I had kids I worked as an HR executive for a fairly large company, f/t of course, and made a lot more money. I obviously could not expect to return to work after being home with my kids for 12 years, p/t no less, and expect to make the same money -- nor does anyone hiring me for unrelated work care about how much I used to make over a decade ago in another unrelated field. It bruised my ego a little bit to start a job at $16/ hr but I came to understand that it was good money for a p/t and flexible job that I had no experience doing at all).

alwayssmile

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:44 am
Started working regular office job with no experience five years ago with 10$ an hour now I make 20$ an hour no insurance.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:47 am
Do you do get paid across the board if it includes yom tov etc. wow! 60 dollars per period is nothing to sneeze at!

amother
Red

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:50 am
amother wrote:
Do you do get paid across the board if it includes yom tov etc. wow! 60 dollars per period is nothing to sneeze at!

Yes BH I am very grateful.

My points earlier were simply to show that it doesn't make me rich in sum total. It's less than 30k a year.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:52 am
pewter- you are earning over $50 an hr for basic office work? wow!

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 9:56 am
10 years ago, with 5 years of experience, I got paid $14/hr from a frum office after 2 raises. They paid a certain amount under the table so that I was able to qualify for medicaid. They have since stopped this practice and pay $12/hr on the books with no benefits to start.

Now in a different field, working for the government, and with 2 post BA degrees and 9 years of experience, I make 120k with full medical and dental.

mha3484

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 10:24 am
The lowest jobs I have taken were $12 an hour. Those two jobs were terrible. One was salaried (27k which works out to $12 an hour, no benefits and passive aggressive boss) and the other was hourly (decent bosses terrible co worker and next to no paid time off).

I have taken $15 twice. Both of those jobs were great.

I finally found a salaried job after the lousy $12 an hour one. I will bli ayin hara start my third year here in January. I started at $35k and am on track to make $45k this year. I work close to home I get a good package of PTO (Yomtov, sick days, legal holidays) and am able to take my kids to appointments or go to school events without taking a whole day off.

I have have both positive and negative experiences working for frum people as well as non frum. I think a lousy boss will be lousy religion or not. Its just bad middos.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 10:50 am
With an advanced degree I started at $60/hr no benefits six years ago. After several years it started including benefits and a bonus up to an additional $12/hr. I left that job for a much easier one and get $65/hr plus benefits and also a bonus depending on productivity.

Before my degree I made between $9-17/hr

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 11:08 am
I get $31/hour. Office work, bookkeeping. But I get paid during yom tov and vacations and if I need to take care of sick kids. No benefits.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Nov 08 2017, 11:09 am
I have a college degree from a good school and started making $50k out of college with PTO ( didn’t need insurance at the time so not sure what the cost would have been). Got a raise to $60k but then left because didn’t enjoy the job. Next job is 30 hours a week and started at $50k, but I got a $5k raise. My company pays for hmo insurance but I pay an additional $90 a month for ppo insurance. I am actually looking for a new job, so we will see what the next opportunity brings.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics