Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Severe Acne - HELP!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Has your face been able to recover fully from severe acne?
No, I still have many scars  
 22%  [ 13 ]
No, but it has gotten better as I get older  
 39%  [ 23 ]
Yes, but only with with a LOT of work and money invested  
 10%  [ 6 ]
Yes, it cleared up over time  
 27%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 58

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 3:59 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, I had severe acne and now get only 1 or 2 here and there. I went on spironolactone--a very low dose did the trick for me. I also used retinol a cream and topical antibiotic cream.

I also stopped using all face masks and products. That made a huge difference. I wash with cetifill and moisturize with aragon oil. That's it. I also stopped wearing foundation. I switched to a tinted moisturizer and only spot conceal where necessary.

When my face cleared I weaned off spironolactone and then slowly weaned off the topicals. I drink 3 liters of water a day, eat clean, and work out. I take probiotics.

It took nearly two years to get to where I am today, but I am mostly clear and no longer on any prescriptions, so it was worth the wait.

Hugs to you. Out of all the problems out there, this one may not be the worst, but it still sucks.

Which retinal a cream? My dermatologist suggested I use an over the counter one since my insurance doesn't cover acne treatment but I haven't been able to find.
Also which antibiotic cream? He gave me antibiotic face wipes and they didn't work at all!
What's your regiment? When do you put on what?
Is spironolactone covered by health insurance (private plan not medicaid hmo).

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 4:54 pm
amother wrote:
Have you ever tried a cleanse/detox?

Yes. Before starting my current diet (no dairy, no wheat, no gluten, no sugar, no refined fats) I did an extreme cleanse, as directed by a DO.

It helped clear my acne for around a week, but the moment I reintroduced some foods, The acne returned in full vengeance. It was not realistic for me to stay on the cleanse long term, as it included very few nutrients (basically fruits, vegetables, soups, etc.)

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 4:55 pm
dovebird wrote:
Having acne is really frustrating. I suffered from severe acne since I was a kid, and the only thing that helped was Accutane. The only major side effect I had was severe dryness. If you have any questions you can feel free to p.m. me or post it here.

How did Accutane work for you? Did you get an extreme breakout before getting better? And, did you suffer any side effects that you feel comfortable sharing?

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:
Is there a reason you don't want to try accutane?

I generally stay away from medication that isn't absolutely necessary, but accutane was life-changing for me and I would do it again in a second, and I wouldn't hesitate to let my kids take it if necessary.

Within a week of taking it, my face had completely cleared up. You have to keep taking it for months for the long-term affect, but it was like magic. Now I deal with a small pimple here or there every now and then, but nothing remotely like the face-covering cystic acne I had for so many years.

Mainly because of the side effects, especially the possible mental health effects. Also, worried about birth defects and such.

mumofthree

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 5:40 pm
I was on accutane and didn't have any side effects. I don't think you need to worry abt birth defects, I didn't get my next months prescription until I got a negative pregnancy test. I also had to take a monthly blood test to check my cholesterol. Nowadays I only get a pimple occasionally and would not hesitate to have my kids take it if necessary.

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 7:39 pm
Hugs hugs hugs OP. I know how horrible it feels. (Believe me - I've had those days that I refused to step out of the house because of shame...When I was a teen I missed school several times when I got a heavy breakout)
I've tried it all too. Nothing helped.

Proactiv calmed it somewhat for a year or two.

I found that hormone imbalance is a huge culprit. The pill can make it better or worse - everyone differently.
Diet was the next biggie. You seem to be on a pretty healthy diet though so I'm not really sure. yeast in the body makes it a lot worse.

Personally, all external things such as creams, Accutane, ointments and such helped while I was on it but not long term. When I cleaned up my diet and started taking a good dose of probiotics and then focused on getting my hormones under control naturally is when I finally got some relief.
And I still get some acne occasionally but after 15 years of struggling with it I can say that its definitely worth to go the natural route.

(BTW I did have a few sessions with somebody who practices HK who finally helped me identify triggers)

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 7:58 pm
amother wrote:
Interesting! How long was your course of treatment?

Went away in my 30s, came back in late 40s as I hit menopause.

Spirinolactone is a long term treatment

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 8:01 pm
amother wrote:
Which retinal a cream? My dermatologist suggested I use an over the counter one since my insurance doesn't cover acne treatment but I haven't been able to find.
Also which antibiotic cream? He gave me antibiotic face wipes and they didn't work at all!

Yes. But even if not it's generic and under $20 a month, if that

dovebird

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 8:59 pm
amother wrote:
How did Accutane work for you? Did you get an extreme breakout before getting better? And, did you suffer any side effects that you feel comfortable sharing?

It worked wonders for me. I get an occasional pimple now and then but nothing compared to before. I didn't have an extreme breakout before getting better, but my face was pretty bad when I went on. (Yes stupid people would make comments trying to "help me"- wanted to punch then in the face!) my dermatologist wouldn't put me on it until I tried every topical and oral medication first. The worse side effect I had was dryness. Like my lips where so dry I couldn't wear lipstick the entire time. I went to the gym a lot but couldn't towards the end of my treatment because I started getting really sore. But bH that was it! I would do it again in a second!

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 9:04 pm
amother wrote:
[/b]

Yes. But even if not it's generic and under $20 a month, if that

Are you in NY by any chance? Do you have a doctor to recommend?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 12:07 am
amother wrote:
Mainly because of the side effects, especially the possible mental health effects. Also, worried about birth defects and such.

Was on it 3 times.
Side affects are blown up TBH.
You can get crazy weird side affects from any meds, including aspirin, and birth control. It's a small minority, if you get them, you stop- that's it. I mean seriously, what is with? I've heard ppl who took aspirin commit suicide on hallucinations. So I shouldn't take it?

It's totally blown up. You get dry skin and lips, but beyond that nothing crazy. Read ANY medication phamlet and you'll see horrible side affects.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 5:56 am
Dr. Strenger 845.352.7546 best dermatologist. If anyone can help you, it's him. He's in monsey and it's hard to get an appointment.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 6:02 am
amother wrote:
Was on it 3 times.
Side affects are blown up TBH.
You can get crazy weird side affects from any meds, including aspirin, and birth control. It's a small minority, if you get them, you stop- that's it. I mean seriously, what is with? I've heard ppl who took aspirin commit suicide on hallucinations. So I shouldn't take it?

It's totally blown up. You get dry skin and lips, but beyond that nothing crazy. Read ANY medication phamlet and you'll see horrible side affects.

Bh you had no serious side effects. I did. It threw me into a deep depression that took several years and an insane amount of money and effort and pain and sadness to get out of. I'd say it ruined what could have been wonderful years of my life. Be wary. Yes, it got my acne under better control, but at what cost?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 6:31 am
amother wrote:
Bh you had no serious side effects. I did. It threw me into a deep depression that took several years and an insane amount of money and effort and pain and sadness to get out of. I'd say it ruined what could have been wonderful years of my life. Be wary. Yes, it got my acne under better control, but at what cost?

Did you do a blood test before? I know a few other people like you, yet I know hundreds of others who didn't have side affects. 1 out of a hundred I meet have. And seriously, I meet many. It's a known thing in my community that I was on it multiple times, so I constantly have people asking me about it. I meet people thinking about going on it or on it a few times a week.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 6:42 am
If you have severe acne, see a dermatologist and get it treated. Thankfully there are now treatments that can actually control it - not so much when I was a teenager when the best medical advice was to not eat chocolate and keep your face clean - they didn't realize the actual science so what was prescribed even by the dermatologists I went to was pretty ineffective - systemic antibiotics don't work.

And wonder of wonders, if you have cystic acne and wake up with one of those painful huge hideous cysts, the doctor will inject with a form of cortisone and the cyst will magically disappear instead of lingering for weeks and inevitably leave a terrible scar. So if you have a cyst, make an emergency visit - it's well worth it.

I was left with severe scarring and had two bouts of dermabrasion. My skin still is scarred especially the ice pick scars which dermabrasion doesn't help so much but at least with makeup, I don't look like Frankenstein. Very Happy There is plastic surgery now for ice pick scars which involve essentially transplanting skin from another part of the body and plugging those scars and then planing them smooth but I can leave with it.

My brother who had the same type of severe cystic acne didn't get dermabrasion and has the typical ravaged pitted skin of someone who suffered from acne.

Good dermatologists now have actual procedures and medications that can make acne a thing of the past so that you won't have the double whammy of acne and then the legacy of pitting and scarring even after the acne is a thing of the past - and my acne lasted until menopause :-)

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:22 am
amother wrote:

Retinal A cream ( tretinoin cream usp 0.o25%)
Topical antibiotic clindamycin 1%
Twice a day for both of those creams, 1x a day spironolactone 25mg.
I did that for about a year, then weaned off all three. I now get 1-2 pimples on my chin, but I am ok with this amount as I can easily cover with concealer and rather be off meds right now.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:40 am
Try Dr Diane Madfes in Manhattan 212-249-8118. She is fantastic.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:42 am
amother wrote:
If you have severe acne, see a dermatologist and get it treated. Thankfully there are now treatments that can actually control it - not so much when I was a teenager when the best medical advice was to not eat chocolate and keep your face clean - they didn't realize the actual science so what was prescribed even by the dermatologists I went to was pretty ineffective - systemic antibiotics don't work.

And wonder of wonders, if you have cystic acne and wake up with one of those painful huge hideous cysts, the doctor will inject with a form of cortisone and the cyst will magically disappear instead of lingering for weeks and inevitably leave a terrible scar. So if you have a cyst, make an emergency visit - it's well worth it.

I was left with severe scarring and had two bouts of dermabrasion. My skin still is scarred especially the ice pick scars which dermabrasion doesn't help so much but at least with makeup, I don't look like Frankenstein. Very Happy There is plastic surgery now for ice pick scars which involve essentially transplanting skin from another part of the body and plugging those scars and then planing them smooth but I can leave with it.

My brother who had the same type of severe cystic acne didn't get dermabrasion and has the typical ravaged pitted skin of someone who suffered from acne.

Good dermatologists now have actual procedures and medications that can make acne a thing of the past so that you won't have the double whammy of acne and then the legacy of pitting and scarring even after the acne is a thing of the past - and my acne lasted until menopause :-)

Can you say more about systemic antibiotics not working?

And, do you have recommendations for doctors in NY area that do the treatment you described?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:19 am
amother wrote:

As of when? Last month? I had a cyst 2 years ago, and it left much scarring. They still tell me there's nothing to do about it.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:55 am
amother wrote:
People are confusing you with op. You should go to a dermatologist too. Legs are an odd place for acne.

I saw a dermatologist. He said I have folliculitis, an infection of the hair follicle. He says it is caused by sweat and not to wear tights. He also told me to wear a swimdress so I don't have people staring at my groin all day.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics