Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is it ethical to return this coat?
1  2  3  Next

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:08 am
I purchase all of our families winter coats and jackets from Land's End. Part of the reason, is their 100% Guaranteed policy. Incase there is a huge damage I know they would take it back and they will send me a replacement. On a rare occasion I've had to do this. I also liked the quality and was able to pass it down from child to child. However, I'm having a dilemma. My seven year old wore his jacket for the last three seasons. At the end of the season the zipper cracked and broke off completely. My DH thinks I should send it back since it's broken. But my DS wore the coat for three winters and I feel like it's not right to return it since we got good use out of it. Is it wrong to return it for a replacement? Or should I just return it since this is their policy???

cnc

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:11 am
I wouldn't because for three seasons of wear I would feel like I got my money's worth.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:11 am
When I had a similar situation, I called them and explained what had happened. They offered to pay for the zipper to be replaced/repaired and I took them up on it. This was about 7 years ago so no idea what they'd say now but it's worth discussing it with them.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:13 am
I would do what amother sienna did.

simba

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:13 am
I also would not feel comfortable with this. Though I did return a coat to them that my son wore for one season andwas terribly pilling.
I would tell the associated over the phone the truth, if they still take it back then go ahead. Maybe ask a Rav if you really care!

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:15 am
amother wrote:
When I had a similar situation, I called them and explained what had happened. They offered to pay for the zipper to be replaced/repaired and I took them up on it. This was about 7 years ago so no idea what they'd say now but it's worth discussing it with them.

That's very interesting because I've had a situation with them that the zipper broke off a brand new coat and they said they don't have a system where they can either replace zippers or refund for just the repair and they insisted on giving me the full refund . That was also about 7 years ago.

cnc

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:20 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
That's very interesting because I've had a situation with them that the zipper broke off a brand new coat and they said they don't have a system where they can either replace zippers or refund for just the repair and they insisted on giving me the full refund . That was also about 7 years ago.

I know other people that claimed they have been refunded for a repair.
They calling them and seeing what they say.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:30 am
I just went with my gut. I didn't feel it was right to send it back after really getting use out of it and I just ordered him a new coat from there. Hopefully it will last.
Thanks for the advice. Since we all have these coats , even DH and I , I'm sure that advice will come to good use in the future .

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:46 am
I think it's ok to return it. Bed bath and beyond used to have a lifetime warranty on all small appliances. It was a crazy policy in which some people seemingly took advantage of by returning items such as vaccume cleaners many years later. I think this was ok for 2 reasons:

1. The store knew full well when they made this policy that people would return items after several years that in truth, the customer got their money's worth.
2. The store often didn't lose money because they would give a store credit and the customer would spend more than the credit in the store.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:46 am
What is the ethical issue? "Hi customer service, I purchased my son's coat three years ago and now the zipper is broken, is this covered by the 100% Guaranteed policy?" There is zero wrong with that.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:50 am
amother wrote:
What is the ethical issue? "Hi customer service, I purchased my son's coat three years ago and now the zipper is broken, is this covered by the 100% Guaranteed policy?" There is zero wrong with that.

Taking advantage and being a schnorrer. And making a possible chilul Hashem. Unfortunately it has been known that Lands End stopped selling to certain zip codes because of the constant returns.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:57 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Taking advantage and being a schnorrer. And making a possible chilul Hashem. Unfortunately it has been known that Lands End stopped selling to certain zip codes because of the constant returns.

I just read the policy -

Lands' End's return policy:

Guaranteed. Period.® If you're not satisfied with any item, simply return it to us at any time for an exchange or refund of its purchase price

Now that I've read it - and understand that it references satisfaction and not damage - I understand. Its on the 'owner' to determine if he is unsatisfied - and I agree - to claim you are not satisfied with a purchase after 3 years of use is - I wouldn't say 'unethical' I'd say 'lying'... but same difference...

so if you were to call customer service and explain the issue and she asked ' well have you been satisfied with the coat'... and you say no.. that would be unethical.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:57 am
Their coats are more expensive than other places. I am sure they chesbon it in so they will make money off things. Returning used and broken is within the policy. Returning used and grown out of would be unethical and chilul hashem.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 9:15 am
I bought a coat for myself 10 years ago. The first year the feathers started coming out. At the end of the season it got covered in washable paint. I called and they said to wash in hot water and dry with a tennis ball. It did not come out. Dry cleaners after said only cold water. In addition it flattened and much more feathers came out. It's not as warm. I called to get it replaced and they refused.
The second year the zipper broke. I called again and they refused to exchange or refund.
I don't see their great quality what everyone talks about and they don't always back their products.

I have a coat that costs over $120 that I barely used and was not worth the money spent for their "guarantee".

Amarante

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 9:31 am
Horribly unethical and something most people wouldn't do.

How could a reasonable person claim that they were not "satisfied" with the durability of a child's coat after getting three seasons of use from it.

I think most "normal" people wouldn't even think of the item being defective and therefore something a store should replace or refund.

My friend used to work at Nordstroms and would tell stories about the awful people who would take advantage of a similar policy.

The policy exists because most people are normal and not shnorrers and therefore the store can afford the small percentage of people who engage in this kind of unethical behavior as a cost of doing business knowing full well that the majority of people would be ashamed to do it.

Also I think like many things that relied on good faith, these policies are being stopped as well as policies that relied on the integrity of the customers. There is a bakery in a grocery store I frequent in an upscale neighborhood. I hadn't used it for several years but in the past you picked up your items and could then continue shopping and pay at the general cash register. That policy has changed as now you must pay immediately at the bakery counter because obviously they were having problems with people walking out with the bakery items without paying. I mention the neighborhood being upscale because it was highly unlikely the thieves were "starving" and were merely exploiting an expensive high end bakery because they didn't want to pay.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 10:27 am
amother wrote:
I bought a coat for myself 10 years ago. The first year the feathers started coming out. At the end of the season it got covered in washable paint. I called and they said to wash in hot water and dry with a tennis ball. It did not come out. Dry cleaners after said only cold water. In addition it flattened and much more feathers came out. It's not as warm. I called to get it replaced and they refused.
The second year the zipper broke. I called again and they refused to exchange or refund.
I don't see their great quality what everyone talks about and they don't always back their products.

I have a coat that costs over $120 that I barely used and was not worth the money spent for their "guarantee".

There's something off about this story. I've dealt with Lands End several times and they literally ask no questions when they take the returns. There is a spot on the return form to put in the reason for return but it is very broad - you enter a number representing things like "too large" or "quality not as expected." I returned uniform shirts that didn't wash well and wore thin too quickly (I expect expensive uniform shirts to last over a year. If my $5 WalMart shirts wear thin in a few months then whatever, but LE uniforms run over $20 and the sales aren't that great on them either), a bathing suit that discolored rather badly, and a lunchbox that developed a nasty smell despite normal use and thorough cleaning. Some of these I printed the form online and shipped them back (at around $6) and others I brought to a LE in Sears. Both times no problem.

As for quality and styling I find it varies. There are things I like and others are just OKish. I'm not a fan of their shoes, their backpacks are just decent but I mainly buy them because of the guarantee (and low sale prices. But mostly because I've had other brands rip or break zippers with no guarantee), had some really great bathing suits for both me and the kids, not a fan of the adult shirts but did great with kid shirts, ditto for socks. Winter coats nice and warm but styling is not the most impressive. But the warmth and guarantee are worth it for me, and again the prices get quite good on sale.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 10:35 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:

But how is it taking advantage? It's not a loophole. It's the direct interpretation of their policy.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 10:38 am
amother wrote:
But how is it taking advantage? It's not a loophole. It's the direct interpretation of their policy.

in the present case: could you with a straight face say you aren't satisfied with a coat where the zipper broke after 3 years of use?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 10:41 am
amother wrote:
in the present case: could you with a straight face say you aren't satisfied with a coat where the zipper broke after 3 years of use?

You don't say you are not satisfied . I could've told them I used it for three years and the zipper broke. Based on their policy they would issue an instant refund. They wouldn't even question it. But I did not feel comfortable doing that

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 10:49 am
amother wrote:

I hear you. However, we have to consider that landsend is a big company and they have lawyers who worded that return policy exactly as they did. They knew exactly what they were getting into when they implemented that kind of return policy. Also realize that they sell lots more items because they have such a liberal return policy.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics