Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
How many squares?

yo'ma

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 9:46 am
I'm making a board game for my dh and I. I have questions in 3 categories. About 300 questions in total. I want the game to last about 30-45 minutes. We'll be using one die and each question shouldn't take longer than 2 minutes and that's if we discuss it. That's just a guess. How many squares do you think I should make? I was thinking of 60, but I'm not sure. Thanks a bunch!! If anyone wants any of the questions or game idea, I'll send it with a pm after I completely finish it. I got the questions from online.

relish

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 10:09 am
I would love to have the idea.
I don't know how many squares you need, and it is a plus to have it completed before playing, but so many factors can affect the number of squares, that I would say:
1) test it out together
2) for the test run, make it a loop (like monopoly) so you don't end up finishing too fast
3) tweet as necessary

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 2:15 pm
Are you including bridges and "move back"s as well?
Have some miss a turn and take another question on some of the squares.
If the game is too short, include an action on some cards or squares.

penguin

Post Tue, Nov 14 2017, 3:14 pm
I would just take any kids' board game (Candyland comes to mind) and more of less copy it. Though Chutes and Ladders could work as well.

I suspect you'd need to test it out & see how long it takes.

If this is for an occasion (e.g. anniversary or birthday) you could illustrate the board but just decide the game is over at X minutes in case things take longer than you expected. But if you're planning it for a weekly game night you can always tweak as you go along.

Like Miriam Pascal says in last week's discussion of her new cookbook, some recipes you have to try several times til you get them right!

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 7:42 am
relish wrote:
I would love to have the idea.
I don't know how many squares you need, and it is a plus to have it completed before playing, but so many factors can affect the number of squares, that I would say:
1) test it out together
2) for the test run, make it a loop (like monopoly) so you don't end up finishing too fast
3) tweet as necessary

I hate monolopy because of the loop. I like games that end.

I'm doing it for myself and not producing it, so I know I can always tweet it. Thanks Very Happy

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 7:42 am
Iymnok wrote:
Are you including bridges and "move back"s as well?
Have some miss a turn and take another question on some of the squares.
If the game is too short, include an action on some cards or squares.

The game is filled with questions. Every square is a question and there are move backs and miss a turn.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 7:44 am
Play once by yourself. Time it, giving one minute per question. That should give you an idea.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 15 2017, 7:45 am
penguin wrote:
I would just take any kids' board game (Candyland comes to mind) and more of less copy it. Though Chutes and Ladders could work as well.

I suspect you'd need to test it out & see how long it takes.

If this is for an occasion (e.g. anniversary or birthday) you could illustrate the board but just decide the game is over at X minutes in case things take longer than you expected. But if you're planning it for a weekly game night you can always tweak as you go along.

Like Miriam Pascal says in last week's discussion of her new cookbook, some recipes you have to try several times til you get them right!

Chutes and Ladders or at least the version I have, a shabbos one, has almost 100 squares. Since my game is more than that, 60 does sound about right. I'll have to once I find paper for it. No oaktag here Sad .

It's just for me and my dh whenever we want.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 8:18 am
I finished it and we played it. I ended up making it with 54 squares because that's how many fit on the board. It took about 25 minutes. I thought too short and my husband thought too long Smile , so I guess perfect. It could have taken longer, but he's not much of a talker which I obviously know. Thanks again!! Thumbs Up
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics