Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Replacement for milk in chocolate pudding

blueberrypie

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 8:34 am
I would love to make a pareve trifle, but my chocolate pudding doesn't seem to come out that good, the taste, & it's kind of liquidy, I tried soy milk & rice dream instead of milk, but neither worked great, has anyone had success with almond milk, coconut milk, or as much I don't like all the chemicals, even coffee rich? Thanks!

emzod42

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 9:31 am
I've used almond milk with the my-t fine packets that you cook on the stove. I don't really have a way for avoiding the chemicals. Use less liquid (I think I followed the pie directions on the other flap).

Blessing1

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 9:33 am
Have you tried coffee Whitener?
For trifle maybe it's better To use instant pudding & mix with water.

blueberrypie

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 9:36 am
emzod42 wrote:
I've used almond milk with the my-t fine packets that you cook on the stove. I don't really have a way for avoiding the chemicals. Use less liquid (I think I followed the pie directions on the other flap).
thank you so much, but I'd rather be lazy & use instant pudding mix, also I meant avoiding chemicals of coffee rich, not pudding mix, do you think almond milk would work with instant? Thanks

emzod42

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 10:37 am
I tried the almond milk with osem instant pudding and just using less liquid, and even though it did thicken a little, it didn't come out as good as the stovetop kind--it was still pretty liquidy. I guess you could try with even less milk.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 11:26 am
Try full fat coconut milk.

cbsp

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 8:41 am
MiracleMama wrote:
Try full fat coconut milk.

I usually use full fat coconut milk as a milk replacement. I find that the coconut fat forms these little hard granules that, while they melt almost instantly in the mouth, give the pudding (or frosting) a lumpy look. Is there a different technique to use when using coconut milk?

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 8:58 am
blueberrypie wrote:
thank you so much, but I'd rather be lazy & use instant pudding mix, also I meant avoiding chemicals of coffee rich, not pudding mix, do you think almond milk would work with instant? Thanks

Steamed and pureed cauliflower gives a creamy dairy taste great in pareve dishes, but that's not a good solution if you rather be lazy.

blueberrypie

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 10:53 am
Squishy wrote:
Steamed and pureed cauliflower gives a creamy dairy taste great in pareve dishes, but that's not a good solution if you rather be lazy.

??? Cauliflower in chocolate pudding?????

pause

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 11:02 am
I learned from here (I think bizzydizzymommy posted) that when using instant pudding, it can come out good with rice/soy/almond milk if you use half the amount as recommended for milk. IOW, if it says to add 1 cup milk, add half a cup soy milk. I tried it and it worked!

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 11:09 am
cbsp wrote:
I usually use full fat coconut milk as a milk replacement. I find that the coconut fat forms these little hard granules that, while they melt almost instantly in the mouth, give the pudding (or frosting) a lumpy look. Is there a different technique to use when using coconut milk?

This happens to me once in a while, but not usually. Guessing it has to be emulsified but for some reason sometimes it doesn't happen? Kind of like when you make your own mayo and usually it comes out well but once in a while remains a liquidy mess? I don't know.... maybe someone who is better with food science can explain.

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 11:23 am
cbsp wrote:

Turn the can upside down overnight. The "cream" will have settled. Flip the can over and scoop out the cream leaving the watery stuff behind. You can then beat it with egg beaters. It whips up nicely.

blueberrypie

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 11:33 am
pause wrote:
I learned from here (I think bizzydizzymommy posted) that when using instant pudding, it can come out good with rice/soy/almond milk if you use half the amount as recommended for milk. IOW, if it says to add 1 cup milk, add half a cup soy milk. I tried it and it worked!

Great!! Thanks!!

Teomima

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 12:43 pm
Can't help you much with instant pudding, but I use this recipe, replacing the milk with equal amounts of soy milk and just ignoring the butter, with great success. It's easy (literally takes five minutes), delicious, and for a really special and easy treat for my kids I'll just pour it into a graham cracker crust and let it set for a yummy pudding pie.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/4.....tions

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 12:56 pm
blueberrypie wrote:

I can't see why it wouldn't work as the tastes wouldn't clash. I probably would add extra cocoa powder because I like rich chocolatey desserts. I might boost the flavor with other ingredients also like nut butter.

I just googled it because of your post. It is a thing already with several recipes existing. They have cauliflower chocalate brownies, cauliflower chocalate cake,and cauliflower chocalate mousse.

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 10:03 am
blueberrypie wrote:

Very excited to report back that it worked!!! besides the califlower, I added WayFare fake cream cheese, Godiva hot cocoa mix, pure vanilla extract - dark, Grain Brain coconut oil to Gefen instant pudding.

It tastes delicious and non-pareve.

cnc

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 10:37 am
Squishy wrote:
Very excited to report back that it worked!!! besides the califlower, I added WayFare fake cream cheese, Godiva hot cocoa mix, pure vanilla extract - dark, Grain Brain coconut oil to Gefen instant pudding.

Is the cocoa mix Pareve? I'm asking because the dark chocolates are considered dairy.

Eta: I see that it says may contain milk( probably for legal reasons) but it must be Pareve because the hechsher is OU- not OUD.

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 11:08 am
cnc wrote:
Is the cocoa mix Pareve? I'm asking because the dark chocolates are considered dairy.

Eta: I see that it says may contain milk( probably for legal reasons) but it must be Pareve because the hechsher is OU- not OUD.

I don't want to paskin. AYLOR or leave off the hot chocolate mix or just use pure cocoa powder.

cbsp

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 11:30 am
Squishy wrote:

Would you be willing to turn it into an official recipe to post here (measurements, method, etc)? It sounds interesting...

Post Mon, Nov 20 2017, 12:14 pm
cbsp wrote:
Would you be willing to turn it into an official recipe to post here (measurements, method, etc)? It sounds interesting...

I need to do official measures first which I will do in the future. BTW - it looks and tastes very good WITHOUT a trace of califlower flavor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics