Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Cooking lentils....HELP

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 11:18 am
I'm not starting over, just asking for next time....

1. My red lentils are now more like beige lentils. Is there a way to hold the color?

2. My lentils always seem to explode. Not a problem for a soup that's going to be pureed anyhow, but I would love for them to sometimes hold their shape so they could be an attractive side dish.

HELP!?!

tichellady

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 11:29 am
Some lentils hold their shape and others don’t. Red lentils don’t, they are already split and will get soft . You can get beluga or French Green lentils if you want a more firm lentil.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 12:24 pm
Thanks, that explains a lot.

I do remember a long time ago making the beluga (those are the black ones, right?) and they held up pretty well.

But back to the red... is there any variety that will hold the pretty red color or they all turn beige when cooked?

cm

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 12:34 pm
Red lentils turn yellow when cooked. I suspect that the biblical stew was made of something else.

watergirl

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 12:38 pm
MiracleMama wrote:

I do remember a long time ago making the beluga (those are the black ones, right?) and they held up pretty well.

But back to the red... is there any variety that will hold the pretty red color or they all turn beige when cooked?

I make my red lentil soup with crushed tomatos and tomato sauce. Its a beautiful color.

goodmorning

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 12:40 pm
cm wrote:
Red lentils turn yellow when cooked. I suspect that the biblical stew was made of something else.

I always assumed that Eisav ate them before they were finished cooking and that's why they appeared red.

goodmorning

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 12:41 pm
OP, I assume you're making red lentil soup? In that case, add some tomato product (sauce/paste). It adds a great taste and will make it appear red.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 12:42 pm
watergirl wrote:
I make my red lentil soup with crushed tomatos and tomato sauce. Its a beautiful color.

I think I'll go stir in some tomato paste. Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 1:33 pm
MiracleMama wrote:

Your red lentils are doing what they are supposed to be doing. They're more like split peas than the side dish lentils you're picturing.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 2:17 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I think I'll go stir in some tomato paste. Thanks.

Had to come back and report that the tomato paste did the trick. Enhanced both the color and taste. So yummy, if I may say so myself.

watergirl

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 2:34 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Had to come back and report that the tomato paste did the trick. Enhanced both the color and taste. So yummy, if I may say so myself.

Great!!

goodmorning

Post Fri, Nov 17 2017, 2:36 pm
MiracleMama wrote:

It boosts the nutritious content of the soup too; the Vitamin C in the tomatoes aids in the absorption of the non-heme iron in the lentils.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 12:40 pm
cm wrote:

My guess is sumac.

samantha87

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 8:34 pm
Also - red lentils (especially from Indian brands) and brown lentils (common brands) aren't the same. The red lentils get mushy fast, the brown ones hold up more. And the skinned lentils (Indian markets sell them) disintegrate the fastest. Which to use really depends on what you are trying to make.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics