Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
ISO yummy banana breakfast muffin

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 9:19 pm
I have a bunch of overripe bananas.
I used to make smoothies with bananas but they started strongly preferring non-banana smoothie. So now I need a new overripe banana idea and I'm thinking muffins. I need healthy easy snacks-to-go regularly, and I often bake healthy oatmeal muffins, freeze, and take one out to send for school snacks. So let's add banana muffins to the rotation so they're not getting the oat muffins every day.
But it needs to be yummy enough to satisfy kids who sometimes turn up their noses at fresh bananas and smoothies, and healthy enough to be food.

tia!

goodmorning

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 9:54 pm
I make something like this, but have been pretty approximate on amounts:

3-4 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 c oil
1/4 -1/3 c sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
dash salt
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
shake of cinnamon
handful of nuts or chocolate chips (if you do chocolate chips, you can use the lower end of sugar)

Yields 12 muffins or 1 loaf pan

Bake at 350 for about 20 -- 30 minutes or until done.

Could you share your oatmeal muffin recipe?

AhuvasIma

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 10:00 pm
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/4.....t%204

Instead of white flour I use 1 c whole wheat, 1/4 c. Wheat germ, 1/4 c. Flax seed.

I also add chocolate chips, so my kids all easy them happily.

seeker

Post Sat, Nov 18 2017, 10:05 pm
Oatmeal muffins (they're not so muffiny, I just call them that because it sounds more fun for the kids. They're really just baked oatmeal):

2 c. oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt (can use more if you like)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (can use more if you like - I use more like a full teaspoon)
1 c milk or substitute (when I have almond milk I use that, if not I just use water - it's not as good but still works. DON'T use juice, I did that once and it made the whole thing taste wrong.)
1 egg
3/4 c. applesauce
add-ins optional (can use nuts, craisins, raisins, chopped dates, chocolate chips... don't use nothing, it's really boring with nothing)

Put into 12 muffin cups. I don't bother greasing them - they pop out nicely when I use silicone cups, but if I use paper we just peel them off, they do stick a little but it's fine.
Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes.

cbsp

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 4:54 pm
seeker wrote:
Oatmeal muffins (they're not so muffiny, I just call them that because it sounds more fun for the kids. They're really just baked oatmeal):

2 c. oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt (can use more if you like)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (can use more if you like - I use more like a full teaspoon)
1 c milk or substitute (when I have almond milk I use that, if not I just use water - it's not as good but still works. DON'T use juice, I did that once and it made the whole thing taste wrong.)
1 egg
3/4 c. applesauce
add-ins optional (can use nuts, craisins, raisins, chopped dates, chocolate chips... don't use nothing, it's really boring with nothing)

Put into 12 muffin cups. I don't bother greasing them - they pop out nicely when I use silicone cups, but if I use paper we just peel them off, they do stick a little but it's fine.
Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes.

Sounds yummy but when do you put in the bananas?

goodmorning

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 6:35 pm
cbsp wrote:
Sounds yummy but when do you put in the bananas?

seeker was giving her (non-banana) oatmeal muffin recipe as a response to me.

(And thanks! I make something similar, only I bake it in a 9x13 pan and cut it into squares in the morning. I should try baking it in muffin cups one day.)

cbsp

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 6:40 pm
goodmorning wrote:
seeker was giving her (non-banana) oatmeal muffin recipe as a response to me.

(And thanks! I make something similar, only I bake it in a 9x13 pan and cut it into squares in the morning. I should try baking it in muffin cups one day.)

Oh, I missed that, thanks for clarifying embarrassed

My kids were banana'ed out so I've been looking to diversify - my last batch was a modified tahini-choc chip oatmeal mini muffin. I still have many frozen bananas that need to get used up...

yogabird

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 8:49 pm
https://minimalistbaker.com/ba.....onal/

I make these, and I add some chia seeds and some micro chocolate chips, but I seem to remember you guys are nut free?

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 19 2017, 10:09 pm
Yeah forgot to mention we can't do tree nuts - peanuts are OK for home but for school snacks no peanuts either.

shiaeisen

Post Tue, Jan 30 2018, 1:38 pm
Much Easier Recipe

1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
3 cups very ripe bananas
3 tbsp. Peanut butter
3 tsp. Cinnamon

Raisins optional
Chocolate chips optional
Blueberries optional

Mix all, bake approx. 1/2 hr-1 hr, allowing tops to get very brown and caramelized.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking