Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Help Wanted
Great idea! Supper in bed!
Previous  1  2  3

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 10:34 am
Laiya wrote:
My pediatrician told me to get creative in figuring out how to sneak in extra calories. Ex. instead of crackers, give him crackers with peanut butter. Offer ice cream. Only whole milk. Etc.

I think that doctors tend to look at kids who aren't gaining, only in the immediate present. Like triage. The child needs calories to grow.

The problem is, the doctors aren't thinking about creating life-long eating habits and relationships with food.

Assuming it's not a digestive or hormonal issue, and no GI or endocrinologist is needed, there may be other ways to deal with picky eaters.

The issue could be due to low muscle tone in the mouth. This child refuses bagels, pizza, anything remotely difficult to chew.

The issue could be sensory. This was my ds who ate nothing but yogurt and dry cereal, and refused things that *every* child likes, like the frosting on a cupcake. An OT or eating therapist can work on these issues.

There are a lot more options nowadays, and there's a lot more awareness of the issue.

When I was growing up, it was you eat what's on your plate, and if you even hint for anything else, then you are an extremely spoiled, rotten kid who...

Today, there are speech therapists that specialize in feeding therapy, among other options. There's much more knowledge out there, and much more awareness that not all kids are cut from the same cloth.

There's also much more availability, food-wise, which probably helps Wink .

Laiya

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 10:41 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
There are a lot more options nowadays, and there's a lot more awareness of the issue.

When I was growing up, it was you eat what's on your plate, and if you even hint for anything else, then you are an extremely spoiled, rotten kid who...

Today, there are speech therapists that specialize in feeding therapy, among other options. There's much more knowledge out there, and much more awareness that not all kids are cut from the same cloth.

There's also much more availability, food-wise, which probably helps Wink .

When I was growing up, too! I remember sitting at the table for HOURS, staring at a plate of cold chicken....(well it probably wasn't hours but that's how it is in my memory).

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 11:37 am
Laiya wrote:
My pediatrician told me to get creative in figuring out how to sneak in extra calories. Ex. instead of crackers, give him crackers with peanut butter. Offer ice cream. Only whole milk. Etc.

I think that doctors tend to look at kids who aren't gaining, only in the immediate present. Like triage. The child needs calories to grow.

The problem is, the doctors aren't thinking about creating life-long eating habits and relationships with food.

Assuming it's not a digestive or hormonal issue, and no GI or endocrinologist is needed, there may be other ways to deal with picky eaters.

The issue could be due to low muscle tone in the mouth. This child refuses bagels, pizza, anything remotely difficult to chew.

The issue could be sensory. This was my ds who ate nothing but yogurt and dry cereal, and refused things that *every* child likes, like the frosting on a cupcake. An OT or eating therapist can work on these issues.

I think the doctors are worried about the young child's brain development which is happening in the immediate present.
What you write is true and of course everything needs to be addressed simultaneously.
I don't think I was ever told to serve cookies. Just drizzle olive oil, make her things with butter, serve avocado, dips for vegetables.

squirrel

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 1:30 pm
Another bath feeder here, I dont need hugs it works beautifully.

sitting

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 4:14 pm
I used to read to them at the dinner table. They were distracted by the story so ate better and I would load the fork and leave it on the plate. Then say " have a bite and then we turn the page ". Worked for quite a while here.

NovelConcept

Post Thu, Nov 23 2017, 10:11 pm
squirrel wrote:
Another bath feeder here, I dont need hugs it works beautifully.

How can you feed your child in the bath? The bathroom is tumah.

macadamia

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 8:25 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Today when each kid got home from school ( they all roll in at different times) I said today's dinner is " You can decide what's for dinner tonight. The options are pita pizza, pita and peanut butter, pita and scrambled eggs, pita and tuna or cereal. ". They each chose what they wanted and they all ate. ( so even though I really didn't have dinner to serve they felt like I made them what THEY wanted even though I gave pretty lousy choices. Nobody complained

The kids probably think you were the Best mom that day. If you do it once in a while they love it.

lucky14

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 10:11 pm
Raw wrote:
My dentist told me apples actually promote cavities because they’re acidic and get in all the teeth and crevices when chewed.,

Yeah you should brush before going to sleep no matter what you've eaten.
My initial reaction to this post was "but they prob. didn't brush their teeth after eating!" I wouldn't be able to do it. I'm too strict about teeth brushing. Cavities are too expensive.

I would have gone in and brushed their teeth after they were finished :-p
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics