Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Hosts kid has strep

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 10:18 am
Supposed to go for shabbos and just found out. My sister invited me now. What would you do?

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 10:26 am
amother wrote:
Supposed to go for shabbos and just found out. I cant be home this shabbos as my husband is away and don't want to so shabbos alone. My sister invited me now. What would you do? It's 6 hrs to shabbos. I'd come with 2 little kids.

When did the child start taking antibiotics? She’s probably not contagious at this point.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 10:31 am
amother wrote:
I cant be home this shabbos as my husband is away and don't want to so shabbos alone.

You can, you just don't want to.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 10:32 am
Just diagnosed this morning.

simba

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 10:37 am
I would personally go anyways. Would try to keep the kids out of that kids face until said child is on antibiotics for 24 hours. They could have been exposed to it in school this morning by 100 other kids.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 10:39 am
If you must go, load everyone up on vitamin c and pathothenic acid and just know that your kids may likely get strep. Be on top of throat cultures over the next 2 weeks.

rgr

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 10:39 am
amother wrote:
You can, you just don't want to.

Way to go to be supportive Rolling Eyes

smileyfaces

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 10:46 am
By shabbos morning the kid won’t be contagious anymore. Keep your children separate as much as possible Friday night and hope for the best.
Very nice of the host to give you a heads up. I’ve been in situations where the host will fail to mention this to me.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 10:48 am
My other option is to go to my sister who invited me and I can bring whatever food I have and was supposed to bring to host...

smileyfaces

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 10:54 am
amother wrote:
My other option is to go to my sister who invited me and I can bring whatever food I have and was supposed to bring to host...

Is your child immunocompromised?
You definitely have a valid way out if you are concerned and it is not rude. You seem concerned about going. However, the host may be relying on your food (you offered to bring challah and salad).. she shouldn’t need to scramble to get those things prepared. Maybe offer to bring the food if you do decide to go to your sister.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 11:57 am
I would go & try to keep the kids not so close to the child with strept.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
Just diagnosed this morning.

I think the new recommendation is that they’re no longer contagious 12 hours after taking antibiotics. Since they usually give a margin of error, chance are they won’t be contagious by early evening if they started meds at 10 am. There’s a risk, though.

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Nov 24 2017, 12:05 pm
My kid recently had strep and I was told 24 from when the fever breaks, which didn't happen for another few days.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Nov 25 2017, 6:27 pm
I would not go, they are still contagious.

amother
White

Post Sat, Nov 25 2017, 7:52 pm
I would not go. One child will get it and will then pass it on to the next. Besides for having to deal with sick kids, there's also loss of work.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Nov 26 2017, 10:40 am
I know you've already decided by now but I'll weigh in too. I wouldn't go. It's totally fine to ask for a raincheck under the circumstances. Also, strep lives for a really long time on surfaces and I would be a wreck all shobbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics