Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Which ABA Provider (Brooklyn)

sunspot

Post Mon, Nov 27 2017, 10:54 am
I am looking to get started on ABA therapy for my 13.5 yr old son who is on the spectrum. Which agency in Brooklyn would you recommend. I need frum providers. I prefer men, but would work with women as well. I need providers that will really help out my son not just babysit him.

Thanks!

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 5:13 pm
Does he have hours thru the board of ed, what hours are you talking about, during school or after school?

sbs

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 8:51 pm
my experience with proud moments has been great

I've worked with a few other agencies, and felt they were very pushy and were only out for the money

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 9:41 pm
I think yeled v'yalda has a very large ABA program.

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 11:44 pm
I hope it's not offensive to ask, but did you mean 3.5 or really 13.5? I'm only asking because it's unusual for people to go down to .5 years past the younger ages, and then you used the word "babysit"... But if you did mean 13.5 you should get in touch with Encore because they have a program specifically tailored to that demographic (teen boys on the spectrum, incorporating ABA) and I've never seen or heard of anyone else who specializes in that.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Dec 01 2017, 7:06 am
[quote="seeker"]I hope it's not offensive to ask, but did you mean 3.5 or really 13.5? I'm only asking because it's unusual for people to go down to .5 years past the younger ages, and then you used the word "babysit"... But if you did mean 13.5 you should get in touch with Encore because they have a program specifically tailored to that demographic (teen boys on the spectrum, incorporating ABA) and I've never seen or heard of anyone else who specializes in that.[/quote
She most likely did mean 13.5 if she specifically wants a male. Another vote for encore.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Dec 01 2017, 11:37 am
I'm following this as well. My son (now 12) received (past tense. when he was 10,11) services from an agency that turned out to be at best a big brother situation and at worst "babysitting" which he does not need. No real ABA at all! very disappointing. especially considering how much money is spent on the ABA, BCBA and the agency (you get a copy of the bills). The agency even asked me if I know someone. All it takes is a few hours of training and then the person works with my kid. Well maybe that explains why progress is hard to achieve. ABAs aren't really equipped to do this job without the strong oversight of a BCBA which also didn't happen. The system is broken.

It is compounded by the fact that my son is of an age that a frum male makes sense but they are almost non-existent.

I have just begun the process with another much younger child through Yeled who have a program running with oversight of paras right in my son's yeshiva. They seem from the outset to be much more on top of the situation. Time will tell.

I have noted that you said that Proud Moments is a good agency. I will look into them for my older son.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Dec 01 2017, 11:50 am
Violet amother, if you are using Yeled for your younger child, why don’t you use Yeled for your older child as well? It makes more sense to have one LBA in the home. If you can get one that is part of a Yeled Center, you will have great supervision and a more cohesive program.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 12:52 pm
violet amother here:

I will likely go with Yeled for my older son if I like the results for my younger one. I just have this feeling that the train has pulled out of the station for him already. He missed so many years till we got him diagnosed and then additional years in a poorly run ABA situation.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 04 2017, 1:00 pm
amother wrote:
violet amother here:

I will likely go with Yeled for my older son if I like the results for my younger one. I just have this feeling that the train has pulled out of the station for him already. He missed so many years till we got him diagnosed and then additional years in a poorly run ABA situation.

Don't think like that! It is never too late! You will never get back his early childhood years but starting fresh with a new setup can really turn the page.

Really call Encore. They have male providers and experience with older yeshiva students. I have personally met a number of their male providers through professional development situations and all those whom I saw were smart, energetic, and dedicated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)