Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Sewing machine recommendations

Rikola

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 6:16 pm
I am looking to purchase my first sewing machine. I don't know how to sew, so it has to be user-friendly. I need it for hemming and simple alterations to my kids' clothes and if I have the time to learn I'd like to be able to make simple patterns in the future. My budget isn't set in stone but I'd like to spend under $300.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Rikola on Sun, Oct 21 2007, 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Sun, Oct 21 2007, 8:48 pm
http://sewing.patternreview.co.....views

It's a list of reviews of sewing machines, from the most beginner to the most advanced.

You have to decide what features you want; automatic button hole, simple embroidery stitches, auto tension and the like. You could probably get away with way less than $300. (My own machine is quite old, and long discontinued, so I don't have anything specific to recommend!)

loveit

Post Mon, Oct 22 2007, 11:30 am
My mom just got me a babylock machine. I didn't need one that did anthying syper fancy, just basic functions for making clothes (they have really fancy functions for people like my mom who use thier machine for quilting, embroidery, etc.).

I know my mom did research before she bought mine so I'm sure it's good and is prob within your budget I'm guessing.

mugsisme

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 3:23 pm
Call some local dealers. Sometimes when the ladies trade up, the dealers service and sell the machine for a good price. You can also join the yahoo group, SewItsForSale. BUT, you will not know for sure what you are getting. I personally would stay away from Walmart/Target/Sears. You will get a cheap machine, but if you do not know how to sew, the machine will be useless and just sit.

If you ever want to do button holes, I highly recommend a machine that does a 1-step button hole. The truth is that all you really need is a straight stitch and a zig zag stitch. All the others are icing on the cake.

If you do want to teach yourself to sew, check out Costco or Sams club. I got my first machine from there, along with two books. One was the Reader's Digest book on how to sew. the other was the Simplicity book on how to sew. They are great companions to a pattern. When you get stuck, you open the book and it explains how to do each step.

Finally, there are a ton of sites with help. Pattern review is good, and the sewing forum at http://www.sewforum.com/ is another place to ask questions.

good luck with your search. Sewing is great fun, and very addicting.

Leah

Marion

Post Mon, Nov 12 2007, 6:38 pm
My mom taught "family studies" (home economics) for several years to 11-13 year olds. She used the Viking/Husqvarna basic machine, which is what I bought for at home also. At the time it was the "Daisy" model (model number 620????). I know they've upgraded it since then, but it's very easy to use so you could definitely look at that. At home she has a (very old) Kenmore (Sears' brand). And her previous one was a Singer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing