Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Mountain view near NYC?

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 6:25 pm
I have a hankering for a one-week getaway to a place that has a mountain view. I'm in Brooklyn and do not drive, so would need to be anywhere along the MetroNorth or LIRR or other public transportation route. North, South, East, West, doesn't matter much to me, so long as I can see mountains when I step out the door :-)
Please comment if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

doctorima

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 7:04 pm
If you're going away for a week, I would make sure to go to a place with real mountains and nice views. LIRR won't get you to the mountains. Smile I don't know how far Metro North goes, but I would recommend taking an Amtrak train and/or Greyhound bus to a place with real mountains. The Arlington Hotel in NH is kosher and in the middle of the White Mountains; for something closer, you could try southern VT, or the Poconos. There's also the frum bus to the Catskills.

Dalia

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 8:23 pm
I doubt the frum bus to the Catskills is in service now. They probably only run in the summer.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 8:26 pm
Thanks for your suggestions!
I don't require kosher (I can easily do raw vegan for a week), though want to be close enough to the city in case of a family emergency (have someone in a fragile situation at home).

samantha87

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 9:11 pm
Check out the Amtrak Adirondack train. Any stop from Saratoga Springs up should have great views. There must be motels nearby.

Also, here are three suggestions closer to home and bus accessible, but not cheap:
https://visitbearmountain.com
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Ho......html
http://www.mohonk.com/

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:13 pm
I was going to suggest mohonk mountain house. You can also stay at bear mountain lodge. Honestly , anywhere along the upper hudson river will probably have mountain views.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Nov 28 2017, 10:32 pm
amother wrote:
I was going to suggest mohonk mountain house. You can also stay at bear mountain lodge. Honestly , anywhere along the upper hudson river will probably have mountain views.

I looked up Mohonk Mountain house- they're pricey! I need something way cheaper. Any suggestions for a way-cheaper mountain view?

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 6:18 am
amother wrote:
I looked up Mohonk Mountain house- they're pricey! I need something way cheaper. Any suggestions for a way-cheaper mountain view?

Look up Orange County and Ulster County, NY. There are many cheaper motels with mountain veiws. I think 300 has mountain veiws and is a busy rd, so they would have transportation.

There is a place called the Eagle's Nest which is reached by a twisting mountain rd. It has gorgeous veiws. This may be hard for you to reach.

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 6:32 am
Would you consider staying nearer the valley, where it's cheaper, and taking some good walks or hikes?

There are nice mountains near Monsey.

Last week, we took a trip and stopped in that area to walk up to a lovely view of the Bear Mountain Bridge. The viewpoint was called (I'm not making this up) Anthony's Nose.

I'm not sure how much you're going to find accessible by public transportation, but you can consider Uber for local transportation to a hiking trail.

Last edited by imasinger on Wed, Nov 29 2017, 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 7:36 am
Thanks for all your suggestions!
Seeing what it would cost to have a week of mountain views :-) I have reconsidered. I'll be happy with a day trip.
Would a metro north or other bus/train take me to a mountainous area where I can sit and enjoy a mountain view for an hour or two?
Btw, anyone else ever have a craving for a mountain view? It is my benzo :-)

doctorima

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 8:35 am
You could take Metro North to the Cold Spring stop. It lets you out in the middle of some mountains, and right at the trailhead for a very popular (but challenging!) hike called Breakneck Ridge, which gives you amazing views from the top (or even just partway up).

Google it to see if you can handle it, and now's the time to go, because it will be closed on Januar 1 for 12-18 months of construction. It's one of the highest rated hikes on the east coast and not long, just difficult.

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 29 2017, 9:12 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for all your suggestions!
Seeing what it would cost to have a week of mountain views :-) I have reconsidered. I'll be happy with a day trip.
Would a metro north or other bus/train take me to a mountainous area where I can sit and enjoy a mountain view for an hour or two?
Btw, anyone else ever have a craving for a mountain view? It is my benzo :-)

I hike in the parks around Monsey on average once or twice a week. It's my drug Smile

There are several groups on Meetup and the NYNJ Trail Conference website that do day trips from the city using public transportation. They're mostly on weekends so if you can do Sundays that would be good. There are other groups that go out during the week and you can always check if there is public transportation available to those areas. For example, you can access Harriman State Park from the Sloatsburg stop on NJTransit.

If you want more info on the groups, I'd be happy to help. I rarely hike alone for safety reasons, so I'm fairly familiar with the groups.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries