Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Professor

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 11:00 pm
I am very grateful to my professor for being so helpful and nice . I feel like I want to give her a little something for the holidays .... what would be an appropriate gift to give her? She is like in the fifties...

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 11:12 pm
a bottle of wine... but if you are at the undergrad level... this isn't all that appropriate.

OutATowner

Post Thu, Nov 30 2017, 11:26 pm
A nice box of chocolates.

Jalapeño

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 4:59 pm
I'm also looking for suggestions--not at the undergrad level.
I was thinking chocolates, but maybe want something a bit nicer.
Any ideas?

PAMOM

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 5:11 pm
I’m a professor who has often found herself being given holiday gifts. I appreciate the intention but it can be awkward. You don’t want to spend too much or too little. Here are gifts I’ve gotten, all of which I appreciated because of the sentiment and all of which I enjoyed using: a really nice mug and an assortment of fancy tea, a sampler box of spices, a bottle of Ahava hand lotion, a small pottery planter from a craft show with a little (hardy!) plant in it, a nice bowl from a crafts-type store. One student I helped a lot gave me a pair of funky earrings (which I wear a lot). I saw them on Etsy for about 20.00. These are all slightly personal but not embarrassingly so. You’re both very thoughtful.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 5:19 pm
Thank you for the detailed response @pamom! Im curious how would a scented diffuser do??
Also are there "thank you professor" cards available in card stores/sections? Of not would a thank you teacher card be offensive and too underated? Or I would have to make my own poem?

PAMOM

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 5:27 pm
I’m very sensitive to smells and don’t like most scents. They give me migraines. Re cards—I really prefer an interesting card that’s blank inside and a (prose) note from the student. It’s much more professional and personal at the same time. I once gave someone on my dissertation committee a card with a quotation from Pirkei Avot on the outside, and I wrote on the inside .

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 11 2017, 5:46 pm
A nice pen in a gift box.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics